• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09/10 163"/155" Track and Rails Conversion

S
Nov 26, 2007
Crazy Mountains
Well guy's I'm taking on the challenge! Looks Like I'm possibly swapping out my tunnel for a new RAW 163 tunnel as well. Kinzer had his stock tank left over from doing the trail tank on his, so I will be gettin that from him, now I am on the lookout for an 08+ seat. I will probably be looking at doing the VE Wide Runningboard kit as well. Dam this thing is turning out to be an expensive project!

F

Fast Freddie

Mar 1, 2009
Shoshone Idaho
SPEEDEMON
Sounds like your doing a tunnel swap too. This is going to be a project but should come out nice, keep us 900 guys up dated on the swap.I think i saw a seat in the parts under a garage sale poo parts mostly 900 parts but a 08/09 seat.I'll get the pic. of the drivers up to you.
FF:beer;:beer;

S
Nov 26, 2007
Crazy Mountains
Sounds good man! Ya this should be a heck of a project, not sure it's something I should be jumping into in the start of the season, but we'll see. I'm sure there will be some late nights and long weekends doing the tunnel swap. I'm looking to update the sled as much as possible. I really just like the look of a mostly stock appearance 09 sled. So that look, same handling, and a boosted 900 should be a hellacious little runner! I will have to dig for that seat. Thanks guys! I'll try to keep everyone in the loop!

F

Fast Freddie

Mar 1, 2009
Shoshone Idaho
anti ratchet drivers & rails

Here's a few pictures of what I needed to do on the rails to get them to work with anti ratchets. Hope this helps out. If you have any questions, I'll be back later this afternoon

Information for pictures - an inch and 1/2 will need to be cut off the end of the rails at the same angle as factory. If ordering new rails, they can do this for you. The plastic tips need to be ground down approx. 1/2" to bypass the extrovert part of the driver as the marks in pic. show. And the back side of plastic tip needs to be notched so the bolt of the anti stab kit will fit through the rails as the green tape in the picture shows. A new hole will need to be drilled in the rails to attach the plastic tip, approximately where the red dot in the picture shows, and also shims will need to be put in the rails to keep the anti stab kit bolt from slopping around and oblonging the hole in the rails. Good luck with the shims as we had to cut and grind our own. Any more questions, let me know.

FF

'05 Rails & Drivers 008.jpg '05 Rails & Drivers 009.jpg '05 Rails & Drivers 010.jpg '05 Rails & Drivers 013.jpg '05 Rails & Drivers 015.jpg

Last edited:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
just have to ask..

why not just get a VE tunnel, or a Fabcraft tunnel??

would be much easier and less of a headache i would assume rougly the same price after the custom work..

just hard to imaging that being a very easy job..but would sure be sick...
good luck

S
Nov 26, 2007
Crazy Mountains
RAW Tunnel- $<500, VE or Fabcraft- $>1500 last time I checked. The Raw tunnel has all the cooling in the world. My 900 is the 06 MY, so its pretty close to the 07+ sleds. Talking with Dave, sounds like I might have to swap out steering posts, other than that it should be pretty close, obviously change up the coolant lines. Nothing you couldn't make work with a little patience and fab skills.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
It is actually pretty involved as far as projects go....

Other parts you will need

Console

Steering hoop (from a 600.. modded at the top for a bearing carrier at the correct angle for the 900 post)

Stirrup pannels

Then you need to figure out where to put the ECU... as it will not fit in front of the fuel tank.... besides.. that is where the coolant hoses are.
You will need to do some heavy mods to the wiring harness to pull off the move!

You will need to route the coolant lines which will take some head scratching for hoses to come 180 to the rear...

As far as the fuel pump goes... the 2006 900 runs an 8 bar pump (116psi)... all the other CFi engines run a 4 bar (58psi) pump... you will need to retrofit the Airtex pump from the 2006 into the new tank.. the stock flange assy will not accept this pump however.

You will still need to run the rider-select steering post with the U-joint in order to clear the injectors... not really a way to fit a straight post in the 2006 with the 4 injector setup. I would suggest getting a Cromo top half grafted onto the u-joint in place of the stocker... stronger, and you could then run a pivot top tube

The 2008 console will also require a 2008 + gauge pod to mate to it.

Lots of other stuff... but those are the broad strokes.

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Crazy Mountains
Got the 09 console and stirrup vents, ECM mounting shouldn't be too big of a feat, the fuel pump I was thinking on, didn't realize the differences in pressures, good to know however, thought about plugging off the top mount hole and possibly tapping in to the front of the tank with the old style pump, not sure what you mean about the 06 gauge pod not fitting up with the 09 console, seems to fit flawlessly, and last but not least how much different are the 06-08+ steering hoops? Somedays I think you are too smart for your own good! lol

F

Fast Freddie

Mar 1, 2009
Shoshone Idaho
raw tunnel

I think you got a good handel on things. The steering hoop i would look in to & maybe polzin can hook you up with rider select delet kit to make the newer hoop work with the older steering post.?? Cooling lines should hook up in front of tunnel may need to run some custom line there.And finding a place for the ecu box to fit is going to be fun. GOOD LUCK KEEP US IN THE LOOP.:D

Premium Features