• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how to bleed coolant system

P
Feb 22, 2009
ok with all the talk about coolant systems. just wondering what the best way is to remove air from the system when filling it??

giong to refill mine and see if i cant find my leak:confused:

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
ok with all the talk about coolant systems. just wondering what the best way is to remove air from the system when filling it??

giong to refill mine and see if i cant find my leak:confused:

I have found filling it up then bleeding like normal till it won't take anymore, then park it on an incline, such as a snow-bank, aimed skyward and bleed some more. This will get all the air out of the rear coolers.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
About the best way to get the air out of our sleds is to fill it up and elevate the front of the sled as much as you can and let it run.

If you drive up on a ramp for your truck or trailer, that will be good. Then crack the bleed screw on the top of the head till you dont see any air bubbles coming out and tighten it back up again. Refill the reservoir and intermittently crack the bleed screw again till you are satisfied that all the air has been bled and the reservoir stops going down.

I have the bleed screw circled in the picture below.

100_3144.jpg

Good luck

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Thread added to "How To"

Haha, looks like I was typing when GW posted.... at least we're in agreement;):D:beer;

This thread has now been added to the "How To" thread for later referral.:)

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I like to use a air lift to fill my sleds. You can borrow one from a autoparts store or a mechanic that may be a pal. It fits into your fill port then you hook air to it till it pulls a vaccume down to around 30 inchs, Once its stabililzed you turn valve to hold...remove vaccume hose than put a siphon hose into a bucket of coolant. Flip valve other direction and it reverses pulling in coolant into every pocket. NEVER have a air locked system again. Nice thing about it if you have a leak like you stated you can search for the hissing sound and find it since it wont hold vaccume.

Premium Features