• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WRP running board install

A
Dec 4, 2007
ALASKA
I have been waiting on parts for my build I decided to get some of my smaller projects for the sled done. I ordered a set of WRP Mountain TUFF running board inserts. I have to give a shout out to Paul at Sled Solutions for the outstanding customer service and fast shipping. I would also like the thanks WRP for such a great looking high quality pieces, I cant wait to try them out!

I also wanted to make this post because the link in the "how to" thread lacked step by step intructions with pictures. I am not a fabricator , frankly I suck a metal work. I was able to complete this with a few basic hand tools in about two hours.

1. I started by drilling out the stock traction nipples from undeneath the boards.
SDC10700.jpg

SDC10709.jpg

2. I placed the insert on the board and traced the holes with a magic marker
SDC10710.jpg

Here is the pattern after you are finished marking them.
SDC10711.jpg

3. At this point you are going to decide if you are going to cut the the entire board out or just the windows. WRP instuctions say you can do it either way its up to you. I chose to pair the sets of windows up, I think its a good compromise between the two methods.

I used a speed square to connect the patterns into the four holes I am goint to cut out. If I was going cut the entire board out I would of use a longer strait edge to connect them.

SDC10712.jpg

4. I used a large drill bit to create starting holes for the Sawzall and the prevent me from overcutting in the corners.

SDC10713.jpg

Here are the boards ready to cut.

SDC10714.jpg

5. After cutting material out with the Sawzall I used a angle grinder to the bulk of the clean up from the rough cut.

After this I used a long file the clean it up even further. Using long strokes at a diagnal along the rough edges the you get these almost perfectly strait.

Here is what they look like after they have been filed.

SDC10716.jpg

6. Start drilling. After every hole I drilled I place the rivet in to prevent it from moving. I use a couple clamps to hold the board in place whil I got the first few in place. WRP provided an 11/16 bit with the kit.

SDC10718.jpg

7. Rivet away, Be sure and use the washers provided. Here it is installed.

SDC10721.jpg

8.After installing I got the long file again and did some finish work to them. The right side of the pic shows the completed board and the left shows some reveal needing to be filed down.

SDC10719.jpg

There ya go, hope this helps somebody in the future.:beer;:beer;:beer;

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Just did the same install,on my 900 and a new AC 800 HCR, used plasma cutter to cut holes an air riveter and a small grinder with 3m pads to clean up holes.
Like the quality of the WRP boards.
LOOKS GOOD Ak4life!!!

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
They look like quality boards, I just dont care for the logo. Wish they were plain.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Well Done!

Ak, AWESOME Write up... That is exactly the type of thing I had always wanted to have in the "How To" thread... I will definitley be adding this thread under the appropriate heading:D

Again, VERY good write up... makes me want to do this to my sled now :eek::D:beer;

Thanks for all the detail!:beer;:beer;

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
wow those are sweet, do they make one for the fusion? if so which one would it be? deffinetly wanna get some of those, i always got snow build up there.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Fusion?

wow those are sweet, do they make one for the fusion? if so which one would it be? deffinetly wanna get some of those, i always got snow build up there.

Are the running boards on the Fusion different than IQ RMK??

RS

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
i dont think so pretty sure there the same, but im not sure thats why i asked. :D

A
Dec 4, 2007
ALASKA
Thanks for the business and the write up.....you did pretty darn good for someone who "sucks" at metal work! Looks awesome!!!!
In the past I have never had the patience to do a job like this very well. I must be getting better with age.:D I just wanted to show that it can be done well with a few simple hand tools. Thanks again, once I get the sled up and running again I have got an eye on a few more goodies from your website I'm gonna get.:beer;

Nice job AK4life... now that's the way it's done. Great write up! Your install more than does justice to our product. Glad you like em. Now, give us a rode report on how they work for you.

Enjoy!

Thanks man,:beer;

I cant wait until I get to use them. I have a feeling that it might be the best $170 I have ever spent on a sled!Cant wait to get my seat done after this season:beer;

I would also like to say this is great having the two companies responsible for getting me these boards on this forum and being able to truly see what people are doing with them. You both should be proud, you have one happy customer here!

Thanks again

Last edited:
A
Dec 4, 2007
ALASKA
Ak, AWESOME Write up... That is exactly the type of thing I had always wanted to have in the "How To" thread... I will definitley be adding this thread under the appropriate heading:D

Again, VERY good write up... makes me want to do this to my sled now :eek::D:beer;

Thanks for all the detail!:beer;:beer;

I was hoping you would say that. When I looked at the "how too's" The board install had alot discussion and finished work but no step by step. I figured it would help someone out.

I say go for it, I think its gonna pay itself off on the first ride. I ad an 02' XC that had similar solid running boards on it and it was a pain in the *** on powder days. If you can get over the fact that you are cutting up your sled its easy to do.:beer;

Premium Features