• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

97 summit 670

I
Nov 26, 2009
Hey all...
I am new to this site as well as snowmobiling. Just picked up my first snowmobile...a 97 summit 670 that is mostly stock. I have just few questions that I hope I can get some help with.

The previous owner installed a temp gauge though I am wondering what the optimal temp range for normal driving is. As late is been hovering right around 180 degrees. What is overheating or where do I have to start worrying and let it cool?

One other is where I could find some info on replacing the belt. I would hate to be that NOOB that blew a belt and doesn't know how to replace it in the field.

thanks

Jason

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Welcome aboard!

You've already been given some very sound advice.........as far as the temp guage goes..........I have never ran one, but the 180F does seem a little on the high side, was this in marginal snow/ice? I have never had a overheating problem with a modded motor to boot. Is the snow flap still on it? These chassis's have plenty of cooling ability, so it shouldn't get to warm unless there is a problem with circulation of the coolant.

I have goten my sled up to 210 many times. Just on icy groomed trail, wasnt runnign hard tho. In spring, conditions get so icy that I was heating up tremendosly last yer. No engine damage tho. Like i said, I was not "on It" just running the road 1/3rd throttle, to get to the Mtn. Once in POW, she cooles to 108 or so... Different chassis, different cooling this year, so we see how it goes.

I
Nov 26, 2009
right on...thanks for all the helpful hints and tips. The video of the belt change seems pretty trick and simple. the other day when it was hovering around 180 degrees was when I was towing three skiers and the trail was pretty icy... Need to get the ice sracthers installed.
cheers
jk

F

f15ejedi

Oct 6, 2008
Anchorage Alaska
Handlebar rise is a must. Aftermarket seat helps with weight. At about 200 look for snow to jump into and watch your hi-fax when running on packed/icy trails.

Premium Features