• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

progressive helix vs straight cut

R
Nov 27, 2007
When asked for clutch setups most guys tell you to use a 49-51 helix. No one uses progressive-dual angle helixs.
My question is why do straight cut work better that progressive dual angle ones? I my mind, I use a transmission as a comparison, straight cut is turbo 400 and a dual angle is a 700r4. The 700r4 as a lower first gear than the 400 and a better highway gear ratio (overdrive). I progressive (55/49 for example) should get you quicker out of the hole and still maintain your track speed on a hill climb because it ends at the same finishing angle as the straight cut.

If you don't know what a turbo 400 is please don't reply to this post.
old schoolers only:rolleyes:

C
Nov 27, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
problem is most Cat helixes transition at the midpoint of the helix. This is not where the transition should be. If they had more available with a short first angle, that would be much better!!

Cat has a 55*-52* that has a short 55*. It is an older helix for a Sno-Pro.

Last edited:
K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
problem is most Cat helixes transition at the midpoint of the helix. This is not where the transition should be. If they had more available with a short first angle, that would be much better!!

Absolutely true. Fett Brothers and others will cut them that way but they go about 85.00 per and that is tough to swallow unless you know exactly what you want.

Answering the first post - I think it is largely preference as you will find guys adamant on both sides of the debate.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
My question is why do straight cut work better that progressive dual angle ones?

Part of the problem is what you typed here. There are progressive rate helix's and dual angle. Dual angle like ccpowder said has a transition POINT and it is in the wrong spot most of the time. So as the clutch is trying to back shift it wants to hang up on the transition and won't back shift. So the dual angel helix got a really bad image right away.

Now that most people can get the "progressive" helix's cut they don't have the true transition point. it starts at a 51 and ends at a 49. So it is a straight line.

Honestly I have never had great luck with the dual angle. So I never tried a progressive. But I just purchased a new progress for my M1000 and will give it a try. This was by the direction of a couple well known turbo clutch guys. So will see. :)

Thunder

Premium Features