• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary removal MC 800

P
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, Wa
Bought the puller to remove primary and she won't budge. Am I missing something? This sled has very low miles. Heard of using oil/ water/ brake fluid. Is what I should be looking into. I would think this should pop right off. Have impact and still won't go. Help please

R
Feb 2, 2008
Grande Prairie
Tip your sled on its side so the primary is in the air. Remove bolt and fill hole full of WD 40 or oil. WD 40 works best for me with a stuborn primary. Thread in puller and torque up snug with impact or flex handle. Two good wacks with a hammer on the end of the puller and she will pop right off:)

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
^^^ x2
I make sure i pull the clutch at least once a year or it can be a real pain to get off. Most of the time a good 1/2 inch impact will pop it off but you dont want to hammer on it too hard or youll just bend up the puller, like stated above a couple good wacks of the hammer will usually pop it right off.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Drayton Valley
I use water Personally, it's alot cleaner. I also wrap my puller with teflon tape. Should pop right off when ya tourque it up. Sometimes after I tourque it up, if ya just leave it for a minute, it will pop off on it's own.

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
A little never seize on the shaft when you go back together will make it come off easier next time. All of the above are good ideas. I fill the hole with grease but it sure makes a mess when the clutch finally comes off. Be very careful with the hammer, the 800 and 900 cranks are among the toughest, but have seen a couple messed up by guys with big hammers.

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
hitting the side of the puller

I watched the guyz at the dealer take my old clutch off and they put the puller in, smack smack on the sides of the puller and on the end and POP. off it came. Dont hit the side hard enough to bend the puller just enough to make a lil vibration. NO SLEDGE HAMMERS ALLOWED.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
Be careful smacking the puller with a hammer. There is not as much support perpendicular to the crank. I feel better using an impact wrench on the puller. At least the force is applied in the same direction as the bearings.

I take my clutch off at the end of every year, clean up the shaft and inside of the clutch with emery cloth, then wipe the output shaft with a rag and wd40. Clutch always comes off easy for me.

C
Dec 15, 2007
Fargo
Thanks guys. Cat tech told me to use a hammer on the sides of the puller and not the end. She came right off. Never sieze to put it back on.

I wouldn't use antisieze on the primary clutch. I've heard it can weld the clutch on to the shaft. Clean the crank and cluch with break clean, then torque it back on dry. This is what I've done for years with no problems.

Premium Features