• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sway bar removal - ya or na?

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
On an 07 RMK 600 w/ we shocks...is my wife's sled, and we just ride the trail in to find powder. I've heard both, don't take it off and do. She's a fairly new rider, just getting the feel of turning to the left.

I have an M8, and my sled handles so much better...thinking I should cut off that sway bar!

J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
I vote nope. unless you recalibrate the shocks to compensate.
I think it handles worse, but you could always gently pull it(vs cutting) and put it back in after you find out for yourself. Or hack it out and put a heavier one from carls after testing.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Rode without one for a couple weeks, could not wait until the new one came in. Broke off not by choice. Not worth going without it IMHO. But if you can have the WE's revalved and pressure cranked up then it is your call, otherwise will not be stable enough without it. Don't scare her right away, you'll regret it.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Mine is out due to a bent A-Arm trail repair. I have never given a second thought to putting it back in. I have the standard shocks though and did crank up the preload a bit.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
A lot of people liked to do this mod to the older sleds that need more help tipping to carve. If you primarily rode off trail this worked good. It became a bit tougher to handle if you hit the trail at all. With the newer chassis they are designed to tip very easily. I think most people are going to agree to leave it in. Some people feel the IQ tips and dives a little to easy already.

CHARIOT OF DOOM

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2007
sway bar

take em out!! unless you ride trail a lot. rode a 600 with them removed it was sweet, kinda felt like shocks were broke but loved how it tipped over. so if you were going to take em out and turn pressure up so its not so spongy how much should you turn em up? 190 lbs guy. and how would stiff front shocks affect the transfer in the deep?

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Thanks for the input so far...I think I'm going to go with the idea of selling her sled, giving her mine, and getting a new m8! Great idea!!! Plus I have a better back-up, cause she doesn't ride without me!

Premium Features