• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to check clutch alighnment?

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Not to sure on the M8 but here is what I did on my M1000.

I just used a straight edge off the back of the secondary and then measured the difference between the leading edge of the primary and the trailing edge. I think the book wants you to have .040-.060" of misalignment. In the direction that if the motor pulls towards the secondary it gets into alignment.

As of adjustment. I am sure it can be done but with the motor mount plate system and the other motor mounts it looks difficult with out a machine shop to slot some holes and move things around.

Luckily mine was right on.

I will try and get a good picture.

Clutch Alignment.jpg

Thunder

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
there are two procedures being shown in the service publication. first is the offset. Arctic Cat shows how to do it with an offset bar. People use other methods also "black pen". The second is parallelism. this is the measurement Arctic Thunder is speaking of. Offset first and then parallelism is the correct order when checking or setting the clutches. As Arctic Thunder said his was on. This is good because it is not really an adjustable system on the M chassis. If it is off you are suppose to loosen the whole mounting system and wedge it into correct spec and then retighten it. Another note the 2010 models use a different offset than previous years.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
The arctic cat bar for your sled is the best way. It gets you very close and is simple once you have it.

PM me your email address and I will send you those pages from the service manual with instructions and pictures.

Premium Features