• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carbides for RMSHA Racing???

A
Jul 6, 2009
I am new to Hill climb racing. I am going to put screws in my track but am wondering if I should change my carbides too. I know when putting studs in a track it is recomended that you also put better carbides on the ski's.

Anyone running aftermarked carbides and if so which brand and length of carbide do you recomend?

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
I haven't caught a look at the latest ISR rulebook, but I definitely know different carbides are legal in improved stock and Mod (stock-not sure now with the new stock rules) You can only have up to 10" of carbide per ski not less than 60 degree cut. The carbide has to be continuous also (unless you have the Polaris Sidehiller 2's that came with 2 carbides. When I had those I ran a 6" on the inside and a 4" on the outside.) I have seen people flagged in tech because a section of the continuous carbide got knocked out and had to be replaced. DOUBLE-CHECK, but I believe the wear bar cannot be bigger than 1/2" thick. You definitely want control because most courses are gated-technical courses with super hard icy corners. I would recommend starting off with a 6"-8" carbide and get some riding on some harder surfaces to get a feel of things. I think I was running Woodys TrailBlazers last year and they worked good. Woody's, Studboy are the two main places I would go for carbides. There is also Roetin?? but I don't think I've ever used them I don't really know too many of the cat riders (you have a 'M' right?) but could prob get some names so you can get some advice on how to set the suspensions up. More ski pressure is key. It SUCKS when you're out in the hills, but you will love being able to turn the sled when you are still in the throttle.
Good Luck this year. Do you have a number yet or do you still need to get signed up? Keep us informed so we know who you are out there. The circuit is a great place to learn valuable stuff.

later

D
Oct 28, 2009
hey im Rmsha racer well you can put studs on track but carbides are only for improved class or modifiled class if you have any question just PM me any time where you from

P
Feb 17, 2009
Carbides

Don't listen to dirty. He's not even close or even a racer.
You can run carbides. I'm not sure on exact length but I think it is up to 9" of 60 degree edge. There's no studs! You can put screws in your track and as many as you want. In the improved and mods. You can use titanium paddles.
Any other questions. Get on rmsha.com and look up staff and email ?'s. Then you'll get the right answers.

A
Jul 6, 2009
Thanks for the info Ploaris Racer 169. I looked in the ISR rule book and found that i can run carbides in the stock class with screws in the track. I was looking for suggestions on what carbides and what lengths to run. Looking at 6" of 8" on a ski-doo 6.9 ski (has 2 carbides) any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the info!!

R

rmk_racer

Nov 26, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
ACM7,

I don't remember exactly what the rules say but the more bite/less push you have in the corners, the faster you can go. You have to run stock skis in the stock class but can run Powder Pros or whatever you want in improved and mod.

S

sykosledhead

Nov 26, 2007
Dayton, WY
To add to ACM7's question, what is a good screw to be used for the track and where can a person gets some. One of the thing I was told was Rick Ward was a master at deciding what number and where to put the screws. Is there a pattern other than balancing your track and what can a person use to determine the number of screws?

Syko, yes Rick was a genius when it came to all aspects of racing. We run Kold Kutter screws, they are bigger and more durable than say Stud Boy screws. They have a website too. As far as how to determine how many screws, I think it depends on what race you're at. Like Afton for instance, we will load the track with the whole bag. A less icy race with more powder like Pebble or Beaver, you can run less. People have their own ideas on where to place them, you will probably hear a handful of reasons why.

Premium Features