• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 FX Nytro MTX SE gearing clutching thread

N
Feb 6, 2008
Guys,

Trying to decide on a good overall gearing/clutching set up for the new sled due to arrive in the next couple of weeks. Sled is a 2010 FX Nytro MTX SE 153. Dealer says the sled comes stock with 20/40 gearing, however, the attached chart might say otherwise. I believe this chart is of US origin. Is it possible that sleds in Canada and the US are geared differently ? The majority of my riding will take place @ sea level to 2000 feet max, and I'm trying to decide if I'm better off with the sea level kit from the dealer, or a set of aftermarket adjustable weights/springs like Drag n Fly's ? Any help appreciated !

Attachments

• 2010 FX Nytro gearing chart.jpg
    2010 FX Nytro gearing chart.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,966
N
Feb 6, 2008
Heck, don't let me stop ya's, keep em comin :rolleyes:

BTW, 2010 SE's are 18/40 stock gearing. Only the standard MTX 153 has 20/40 gearing stock. Confirmed this with my dealer yesterday. :beer;

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
You sure the 153s are 18/40 or just the 162s. As far as clutching i wouldnt try to clutch it untill you get some break in miles on that 4 stroke or you will be chasing your clutching for the first 500 or 600 miles.

N
Feb 6, 2008
Check the chart above guys, the info direct from Yamaha is right there. Both 2010 FX Nytro MTX SE's are 18/40 stock gearing. Only the standard MTX 153 has 20/40 for this year. If I were to keep the stock gearing, I hear I'd be lucky to get 60 mph out of the sled. I went with the sea level kit from the dealer because I want to be able to ride the sled normally while I break it in, and low 18/40 gearing would make for an awful slow break in period. I have Drag n Fly's here on my RTX shorty if I want to try them for a change, so we'll see how the stock stuff works first and go from there.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I'm not 100% sure about this year, but when I picked up my sled in 08 the dealer was required to clutch it to whatever I asked for. (yamaha specs)

I asked for lower elevation and kept the extra gear, chain and spring.

If I remember correctly, the 08s all came ready to run at 10,000 feet so the dealer had to set them up for anything below that.

N
Feb 6, 2008
I took it another step further and asked Chris Reid of Yamaha Canada to check into it for me.

Right from the tech gurus @ Yamaha Canada :

2010 FX Nytro MTX SE's are 18/40 stock gearing. The only 2010 FX Nytro MTX sled with 20/40 gearing is the standard FX Nytro MTX, and that model is only available in the US.

M
Jun 9, 2008
Maine
NyTrOMaNIaC,

What would be the downside to the sea level kit? Just not as fine tuned? My sleds are both finally in and I decided to let my dealer seth them up with all of the sea level changes. He told me it involved a gearing change, some clutch work, etc. FWIW, I ride at nearly the same elevations as you.

N
Feb 6, 2008
NyTrOMaNIaC,

What would be the downside to the sea level kit? Just not as fine tuned? My sleds are both finally in and I decided to let my dealer seth them up with all of the sea level changes. He told me it involved a gearing change, some clutch work, etc. FWIW, I ride at nearly the same elevations as you.

I don't think there is a downside with the sea level kit for us. The downside would be leaving them stock in our case. Sleds make more power @ sea level and in lower elevation, therefore, we need heavier weight/different spring rate in the clutch to coordinate with the hp. The gearing change is required to match the need for higher speeds during trail riding, otherwise, we'd be crawling along and getting terrible mileage as well. The only other downside I can think of is that with added speed, our tracks are subject to more wear and tear if we're not careful. I'd make sure you ride at an average trail speed with the stock track on groomed trails and harder packed areas, otherwise, you may find yourself losing lugs all over the place. That's what I've been told from guys with experience.

M
Jun 9, 2008
Maine
I'll be picking my 2 SE's up this Friday, I talked with the dealer as he has alread set up one of them. He told me the gearing was changed out from 18 / 40 to 22 / 40 for our elevation, which is probably similar to yours. Overall, i'm really looking forward to getting them home and starting to do some mods to the sleds, I just hope my GenII's are in before I pick them up! Should be a great winter, providig we get some good snow.

N
Feb 6, 2008
Stock gearing on 2010 FX Nytro MTX SE's is 110% 18/40. I have the stock 18 tooth top gear here at home in the box with the 68 link chain and stock primary spring. Oh yeah, I got the sled home in the garage as well :D
She's some purty ;)

N
Feb 6, 2008
I was agreeing w/ the 18/40. What I meant was mine have been changed out to 22/40 now as part of the sea level kit.

Oh I know, I was just reporting for those who were still unsure. :beer;
I just hope that the 22 top gear isn't overkill for these long tracked sleds. Supposedly, the added weight in the primary and the different spring makes it more friendly for us that do less climbing and more boondocking.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So, did you make the change, and if so, what was the result?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

P

powder79

Apr 20, 2008
South Dakota
if you don't do the change over to sea level you will be over revving it all the time. mines set up with 19/42 i was riding it here in iowa at sea level and was hitting the rev limiter all the time, other then that i didn't notice any other difference from riding in the mountains. just don't pin it ease into the throttle and you will be all right. the sea level kid has 22/42 gears and adds weight to the clutch. that the way the 09 came anyhow.

M
Sep 29, 2009
my o8 mtx has 20/40, with some clutching im geting 145 kph. at low elevation. over 6000 feet would there be any advantage to going with 18/40??

N
Feb 6, 2008
Finally had the MTX SE out for the first time on New Year's Eve. Gearing (22/40) and clutching seemed good, although I didn't really open it up, but it felt very snappy and responsive. Conditions were very good, lots of fresh snow, about 2-3 feet in some areas. I took it relatively easy for the first 30 kms or so to break the belt in, and then I just rode it like I normally do with all my sleds, off and on the throttle, and if I saw some untouched powder or drifts, I hit it. The sled was excellent in the deep snow, carved from side to side extremely easy, and never once got stuck. The only thing I'm concerned about is the track lugs folding over. I checked the track over, and the lugs are folding, so I'm going to keep a close eye on it, and perhaps cut them down to 1.75" if it gets any worse. I'm hoping I won't need to, but it will make it better suited for our riding area overall. The only time I could feel the difference in length was in deep powder and riding over drifts, and I'm reporting positively here. Not once did I feel like I was riding a 153, and it didn't feel any longer on the trail compared to my 121. The suspension was awesome, 80lbs in the front shocks, and 125 lbs in both rears seemed very good for starting off. Overall, I'm very impressed with the sled ! It was everything I expected and more, I just can't wait to get some more riding time on it in large cleared areas and virgin powder !

Attachments

• Copy of Highlands Dec 31st 2009 002.jpg
    Copy of Highlands Dec 31st 2009 002.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Copy of Highlands Dec 31st 2009 006.jpg
    Copy of Highlands Dec 31st 2009 006.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Us at Cape Clear.jpg
    Us at Cape Clear.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Eddie stuck in a HUGE drift.jpg
    Eddie stuck in a HUGE drift.jpg