• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shift Assist vs. RKT/Cutlers Conversion

A
Dec 1, 2007
Alaska
Has anyone bought the $20 shift assist bearing and later wished they had just spent the money on an RKT/Cutlers secondary conversion?

I ride an 07-M8, not a beginner but certainly no pro. I'm just looking to get a little better backshift and preformance out of my clutching, mostly while climbing in deep powder. Sled is otherwise stock, SLP pipe is on the wish list but will probably have to wait. I'd much rather spend $20 if I will be happy w/ the bearing. However, if I'm not going to be satisfied w/ it I'd rather just spend the $250-$300 now and be done with it.

Thoughts....experiences....

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
You would be miles ahead with either one of those clutch kits. They include a different progressive helix and a torsional spring which will put you miles ahead of just a thrust bearing. Well worth the money!

Aaron

S
Sep 20, 2009
Big Sky, MT
Torsional Spring Setup

You know I've been pondering buying the cutler's/RKT clutch kit for sometime and one question always lingers in my head, why did arctic go to a compression setup vs. a torsional setup if the torsional set up is so much better. You'd think AC would of thought that one out.

sledstormed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho
Other than a few bucks in price does one or the other (cutler's/RKT) have any pro's or con's over the other, or are they pretty much a close setup?

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
If im not mistaken. I think OVS was the inventer of that kit? Im gonna try what SLP has for a clutch setup for the M8 pipe kit. But im gonna add a shift assist also. Then go from there..

Tempest

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Twin Falls, Idaho
I've had a RKT secondary on my M7 the last two years and it works great. I noticed it mostly in the back shift, which is wear the M7 needed it most. I just installed a Cuttler secondary on my M8, we will see how it performs this year.

sledstormed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho
Anyone run the RKT kit? I hear they have a new dual spring that comes with the kit for excellent backshift and upshift...

A
Dec 1, 2007
Alaska
Thanks for all the info guys. I've decided on the RKT kit. Does anyone know what benefit the new dual spring setup has over a single spring? The only thing the website says is "better preformance up the hill." Any real world experience?

J
Nov 26, 2007
The only thing thats stopped me from getting one of those kits is your stuck with whatever helix you end up getting from them. I ride both flat lands and out west, so If I were to get a helix set up say from RKT I'd have to get 2 different helix's from them or almost get 2 different kits and run 2 secondarys.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
The only thing thats stopped me from getting one of those kits is your stuck with whatever helix you end up getting from them. I ride both flat lands and out west, so If I were to get a helix set up say from RKT I'd have to get 2 different helix's from them or almost get 2 different kits and run 2 secondarys.

^^^^^This is where the CPC kit ROCKS!!!! It has the ability to swap helix's super easy! and cheap to boot! You can change a helix and spring out on the mountain or in the trailer with a simple wrench in about 2 minutes flat!

M
Mar 18, 2008
midwest
I was checking out past forums and i found one that they were grinding down the primary and installing a bearing at the bottom of the spring kinda like the secondary i was wondering if anybody has done this on theres. Did it make a difference? My primary spring paint is flaking off i'm wondering if that means the spring is binding?

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Thanks for all the info guys. I've decided on the RKT kit. Does anyone know what benefit the new dual spring setup has over a single spring? The only thing the website says is "better preformance up the hill." Any real world experience?

I ordered the setup with the dual spring. Kelsey said he has been running it on his sleds for the past 2 seasons.

M
Mar 18, 2008
midwest
Okay so I pulled off the primary cap and on the outside part where the spring sits it's all mushroomed out. Can somebody post how to do the fix i know grinding around but what about the nut that holds the spiders on? thanx

J
Nov 26, 2007
^^^^^This is where the CPC kit ROCKS!!!! It has the ability to swap helix's super easy! and cheap to boot! You can change a helix and spring out on the mountain or in the trailer with a simple wrench in about 2 minutes flat!

Does this kit work with the new reverse on the 09s? And doesn't there kit use the old style helixs, that they do some machining on?

J

Jeff K

Jan 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
After reading everything I could on Secondary Converstions, I decided on the Cutler kit from cpcracing.com and ordered it this morning. The Cutler kit will work with the 2009 electronic reverse as long as you use their Orange/White spring which has the proper preload to allow reverse to work properly. I didn't read one bad thing about the Cutler kit....everyone seems to LOVE it!

Premium Features