• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Supreme Tool 11" secondary

A
Jan 16, 2008
Looking for input on helix and springs people have used on a M8 at 0-5,000'.

the one i picked up used has a 53/51 helix and the Sno Pro green spring.

Justn wondering if anyone has any experience with running this clutch.

I was told it was originaly set-up on a F8, but the guy didnt have the time to fine tune it.

what other helix/spring combos may work in the mountains and powder

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
42/36 or 42/34 (you maybe able to try adding a couple degrees to both #'s for your altitude) and the cutler red/white or cat green spring run in the middle hole. Those old style cat helix's are cheap, buy a few and see what works the best for you.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
42/36 or 42/34 (you maybe able to try adding a couple degrees to both #'s for your altitude) and the cutler red/white or cat green spring run in the middle hole. Those old style cat helix's are cheap, buy a few and see what works the best for you.

From what I have read, I don't think those low angles will work on the 11" clutch. Needs to be clutched like the older roller clutch on the King Cat.:confused: I'm not sure! Just what I remember reading.:confused:

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
From what I have read, I don't think those low angles will work on the 11" clutch. Needs to be clutched like the older roller clutch on the King Cat.:confused: I'm not sure! Just what I remember reading.:confused:

I don't have much experience with it on an M8 but have run it on an M7 on the grass at his altitude, with a similar helix that he has in it now and there is no way it would work in the mountains. Ran it on a M1000 last season with a 42/38 w/ a Cutler Red/White and it worked well. After looking at the initial rate on the 1000 helix you might want a few more degrees on the initial rate. There are so many possible combination's of primary weight, primary springs etc. that I would just pick up a few cheap helixs and sell the ones you don't like on here once you figure it out. It's pretty quick to change a helix on the mountain with that clutch.

A
Jan 16, 2008
Thanks,
I got my hands on a 48/44 and a 52/48 from a sled salvage
i tinkered with the cltuch last night and holy crap, i can change the spring and helix in 2 minutes. (no exagerration) all its takes in a 5/32 allen wrnecha nd 1/2 open end wrench. should be no problem trying to swap parts in the field. super easy to take apart and clean up.

Anyone elserun one on a M8

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
Thanks,
I got my hands on a 48/44 and a 52/48 from a sled salvage
i tinkered with the cltuch last night and holy crap, i can change the spring and helix in 2 minutes. (no exagerration) all its takes in a 5/32 allen wrnecha nd 1/2 open end wrench. should be no problem trying to swap parts in the field. super easy to take apart and clean up.

Anyone elserun one on a M8

not sure if you know this or not, but those little allen head bolts that hold the helix on are very much expendable. they are only "good" for a few installs. i would recommend buying the updated ones from cat just to be safe.
1623-517 is the updated part number

M

mr p-j

Feb 17, 2008
about the tuner secondary. what belt to use whit the 11" on an m1000?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Yes I had one of the first STM clutches that Mark made. Ran it for 2 years and a ton of testing in the mountains. Everything I did was on a M1000 162. I liked the 809 belt the best for boondocking performance, but it is a little short and you could pull the belt in half on the top end if you over shifted the secondary. All the belts did good just depended on what you wanted the sled to do and your riding style.

Secondary setup at 5000' was a 55/53 helix and a speedwerx R/W ti. spring

Secondary setup at 9000' was a 48/44 helix and a green cat spring.

Primary was the proper weights to get you to the proper rpms. Remember dont try to adjust rpms with the helix or springs. I ran a setup with 70g weights custom ground and out highmarked a ton of sled pulling a lot more weight than I was. Give it more helix and let it shift out and you would be surprised what kind of track speed the 1000 will pull at 10,000 feet.

I have 4 different belts that I am selling in the swap if anyone is interested in doing their own testing. They are all new or like new. I sold my cat and no longer have a need for these.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165030

M

mr p-j

Feb 17, 2008
got my tuner a couple of days ago.
not done that mutch of testing yet so i´l save the coments on how it performs untill later.

but i´m having problems whit the reverse option. i´t just dosent work when reversing the engine.
anyone else tryed it on a -09 -10 and got the reverse working?

A
Jan 16, 2008
ttt for frosty

right now i run 75g w/ yellow/white srping in the primary w/ 52/44 and sno pro green sring in the secondary. i dont think its perfect, but it rips. need to swap helixs one of these sas but its hard to stop riding to tune. any other imput?

I hvae 55/53 and 48/44 helixs, just havent tried them yet

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana

I run a supreme tool 11" and I am running a 36/40 and haven't had any problems. However, this is on a TM1000.

Premium Features