• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Secondary clutch for turbo

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Is it worth spending money on a aftermarket clutch for a turbo sled or does the power make up for any short comings of the stock setup. Im interested in the new team tied secondary but im new to the turbo setup and dont want to wast the cash if there wont be much of a gain.

Would i be better off putting the money toward a suspension.

Thanks for the advice.

Y

yamazoom

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman, MT
To reduce the amount of lag from the turbo most will run a shallow initial angle on the secondary helix and progress to a steeper angle. This is just the opposite of a N/A sled. There are some very good companies that make turbo helix's and conversions for your stock secondary application that are less costly than replacing your entire secondary.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
To reduce the amount of lag from the turbo most will run a shallow initial angle on the secondary helix and progress to a steeper angle. This is just the opposite of a N/A sled. There are some very good companies that make turbo helix's and conversions for your stock secondary application that are less costly than replacing your entire secondary.

This is the kind if info that im looking for. TTurbo has supplied a clutch setup for thier system, just wondering if a aftermarket clutch would be any better or a wast of $$$$$$$$.

Y

yamazoom

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman, MT
If you are going to run a low boost P/G M8 run there setup. If your are going to run a R/G 1000-1200 I would highly recommend a larger diameter secondary such as supreme tool with a proper helix ramp angle designed for the turbo, this will be a custom helix that will have to be made for you by a company such as Cutler. The only reason to go to the larger diameter secondary is belt life on the 1000 or 1200. This is just my opinion based on lots of trial and error.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Its for a full race gas turbo on a m1000. But most of the time ill be running pump gas 93 octane 6 psi or maybe ave gas at 9-10 psi

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Does the STM clutch set up work with engine reverse. And can you run a arctic cat belt. Not a fan of aftermarket belts, never had one that lasted and they dont seem to grip all that well.

Y

yamazoom

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman, MT
The supreme tool clutch can be machined to work with engine reverse by them. The cat belts will not work with the larger diameter secondary. I have used the polaris 1080 belt, but have had better luck with the carlisle extreme xs belt. The carlisle belt is very similar in composition to the cat 060 belt. On a N/A ported 1000 I was going through belts every 200 miles in heavy powder conditions, once the supreme clutch was installed I quit going through belts and the clutches ran extremely cool by comparison. I'm not a fan of aftermarket belts either, but in this case they work very good.

M

m8matt

Nov 26, 2007
I ran a Supreme tool on my Turbo M8. Got it from Brent Linderman. He told me to run a 900 cat belt. You have to run the deflection really tight as the belt is a tad long. I was running the same belt all year until I totaled my sled in May. Think I had around 800 miles on it.

Premium Features