• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 clutch (how to service) if at all possible

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
how do you remove/replace the spider three leg thingy that has your rollers and grafite bushings?....i have a bad roller and the bushings are not completly touching each tower....i thought the TRA was a pain, fiche show this thing as one single part....is this true?

it appears this three leg spider thingy is threaded on?...i did remove the locking nut....what else?

clutch.jpg

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
You can no longer get parts to service the cat primary clutches. You have to buy a new one. I was talking to Dale Cutler last week and he said as of last week he can get the parts and repair cat primary clutches. He is the only person I know of that can. STM sells a billet spider for that clutch, you might be able to call them and get some help. Last bad roller I had I bought a new clutch.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I can't remember off the top of my head what the torque value is on the spider but it is ON THERE (I think its 250#).
If its frozen on the shaft you can break it, or streach the threads, or bugger it up.
I once had to heat the spider and throw water on the shaft to get it to break loose. (king kat sled)

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
. Also cat use to sell a complete spider, hope they still do.

They don't. I was told that there was a lawsuit filed by a guy that got hurt when he didn't get his clutch reassembled correctly. Cat quit making repair parts for their clutches after that. Like I said earlier, Cutlers can help you out. It sounds like he went to the people that manufactures the clutches for cat and is getting parts from them.

S

spook222

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 28, 2008
eastern washington
what a fri**in racket! What next, your motor goes so buy a new one, we might get sued if it loses a rod and you get hurt? Mines needing attention too, looks like I'll be shelling out some cash:mad::mad:

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
thanks for the help guys, sure hope i can figure this out with as little $$$ as possible...this sled is already costing me well over the budget i had, as it alwyas the case:eek:

the real pain is the inabilty to service parts that degrade every season....no way can they tell us to buy a complete clutch if a damn roller goes bad, thats crazy talk

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
A friend kept loosing rollers and the spider finally cracked, think it may have been cracked to start with and that was taking out the rollers. He got a new clutch from cat bargains for around $200

stcatman

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
cottonwood idaho
cat clutch

when a cat spider cracks toss the whole clutch. who wants to be in the bottom of a big hole with a 3000 mile jimmy riged clutch and the way home out the top?? not me or the guys that ride with me

1100Cat

Nov 29, 2007
No parts for cat clutches anymore as mentioned is correct,if a roller goes toss the clutch and get a new one. STM as mentioned does make a replacement billet bulletproof spider and billet cover that is serviceable when rollers need replacement. The billet cover also allows you to run more spring options like the doo springs with big rates. To get spider of you need to heat with oxy acetylene to get heat rapid and hot to break loctite as they are loctited on from factory. Once heated then you need to use a grunt tool that is about 2 1/2 feet long from Cat to spin spider off as it is threated on. Do not heat with propane as not rapid and hot enough it will just damage clutch/bushings from over heating to long. When putting new spider on from STM or if you were able to find a stocker from somewhere make sure you use the right loctite to reinstall spider(red I beleive). The wrong loctite may cause spider to move and overtighten itself on running and crack the spider destroying clutch/motor or yourself. An yes as stated above the correct torque of spider and nut is 250 foot pounds. Only problem I found with STM is you also have to buy there tools to service spider and also CAt tools to get catch parts off. STM is the way to go especially if your running the 4 weight clutch. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
No parts for cat clutches anymore as mentioned is correct,if a roller goes toss the clutch and get a new one. STM as mentioned does make a replacement billet bulletproof spider and billet cover that is serviceable when rollers need replacement. The billet cover also allows you to run more spring options like the doo springs with big rates. To get spider of you need to heat with oxy acetylene to get heat rapid and hot to break loctite as they are loctited on from factory. Once heated then you need to use a grunt tool that is about 2 1/2 feet long from Cat to spin spider off as it is threated on. Do not heat with propane as not rapid and hot enough it will just damage clutch/bushings from over heating to long. When putting new spider on from STM or if you were able to find a stocker from somewhere make sure you use the right loctite to reinstall spider(red I beleive). The wrong loctite may cause spider to move and overtighten itself on running and crack the spider destroying clutch/motor or yourself. An yes as stated above the correct torque of spider and nut is 250 foot pounds. Only problem I found with STM is you also have to buy there tools to service spider and also CAt tools to get catch parts off. STM is the way to go especially if your running the 4 weight clutch. Hope this helps.

You should use green loctite on the spider. You can buy a new cat clutch for less than the cost of rebuilding a doo clutch, so it's kind of a wash on cost of maintaining these things. You're running that turbo so I would recommend getting the billited spider. Take the cluch to a repair shop and have them get the spider off and then order the new billeted one. Oh, the nut you took off is just a jamb nut to help keep the spider tight. Good luck with it.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
yep spider 250 ft/lbs and the jamb nut is 85 ft/lbs. they say to use that green loctite but i use 271 red loctite and it works.

i had tried 242 blue once and i had marked the sheaves when i took it apart and over time you could see that the moveable sheave/spider side was starting to turn and tighten up. green is a real b*tch to get apart.

when i had mine apart last i was trying to find the moveable sheave bushing... but no luck. so i threw it back together. at least i was able to get the bushing for the moveable sheave for the secondary.

Last edited:
M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
supremetool is on crack for asking 260 for that spider. 4 bucks worth of material and all they would have to do is load the stock and press a button for machining? you can get a whole clutch for that much ..

Premium Features