• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dragon & RMK 08-10 wide running board kit

Try our new 08-10 wide running board kit $ 299.95. Includes VE edge. Installation, cut a portion of stock running board, including the edge. Re move stock steel edge tube, It is replaced with VE edge. New running board is 3/4" wide in front and 1 3/4" wide in rear. The edge bolts directly in stock location using stock bolts. Running board insert rivets in. Rivets are included. Note: insert has changed from picture it does not go up the side of tunnel.

Attachments

• running boards.jpg
    running boards.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 3,468
Last edited:
M

MNIQR

Feb 28, 2006
So how does this kit work? Cut off old boards at the bend and rivet this assembly in its place?
Whats the width increase from stock?
Thanks

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
looks good glad to see soembody else making the wider running board kits... are you going to offer full tunnel side replacements as well? i sure hope somebody does... the cr kit looks good but is a complete joke... pretty sure i was the test bunny to see how it would work, came with no mounting hardware, and the cut outs in the running board didnt allow for the rear suspension mounting brackets have anything to mount too. i really hope to see you guys come out with a kit like that.

T

TREE MAGNET

Oct 28, 2008
ST. MARIES
looks good glad to see soembody else making the wider running board kits... Are you going to offer full tunnel side replacements as well? I sure hope somebody does... The cr kit looks good but is a complete joke... Pretty sure i was the test bunny to see how it would work, came with no mounting hardware, and the cut outs in the running board didnt allow for the rear suspension mounting brackets have anything to mount too. I really hope to see you guys come out with a kit like that.

quit being a cheap A*S and just buy their tunnel!!!!

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
quit being a cheap A*S and just buy their tunnel!!!!

LOL, i was going to originally, but then i wrinkled my stock tunnel last season and needed a replacement the next day... after dealing with the cr crap though i wish i would have taken the extra week or two off from riding and got the whole VE boondock tunnel and been done with it.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Make me an aluminum stock rail replacement! I keep bending mine. I'm fine with the width but the rail is a problem. Pm me if you're willing. Thanks!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Mike, Great price @ $299 for the running boards AND the aluminum running board extrusions.

What is the "upcharge to get the inserts powdercoated?

Since this is turning into a hyjack of Mikes original post for his AWESOME $299 Wide running board kit with built in snow elimination...

I've moved discussion for the Tunnel sides/Boards/bumper to this new thread..
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162742

VAN AMBURG's WIDE RUNNING BOARD KIT WITH ALUMINUM EDGES... $299

attachment.php

looks good glad to see soembody else making the wider running board kits... are you going to offer full tunnel side replacements as well? i sure hope somebody does... the cr kit looks good but is a complete joke... pretty sure i was the test bunny to see how it would work, came with no mounting hardware, and the cut outs in the running board didnt allow for the rear suspension mounting brackets have anything to mount too. i really hope to see you guys come out with a kit like that.

Funny you should mention that... I've been working with Mike on this for about a month now. He has a couple of other jobs in front of it but said he'll get to it this week to see if it will work out.

It would also be useful for someone with rear tunnel-side damage.

It is in the CONCEPT STAGE RIGHT NOW.... NO OTHER INFO ON PRICE OR AVAILABILY IS AVAILABLE. I do not work for VE.

The concept is to strip out the suspension, bumper running board edges, Drop brackets etc...
Leave the fuel tank, drive shaft and track in place, stock tunnel sides stay on. Then, cut off the stock running boards, and part of the back of the tunnel sides off.

Rivet on the new Boondocker tunnel sides with integrated drop brackets, Rivet the running boards in place, Bolt & Rivet on the running board edges, Bolt on the rear bumper/tunnel closeoff/flap mount .. Reinstall the skid and Viola!!! You have a VE-Boondocker/RAW hibrid.

All this without removing the drivetrain or tunnel sides.

Who would be intersted in buying this "kit" from the concept above that will not need to get into stripping the sled down to the bulkhead?

Would not needing to remove the tunnel/tank/track/driveshaft/chaincase make a difference to you in doing this kit?

Here are some concept pics of a ROUGH cardboard mock-up of a Raw tunnel that I have removed from a wrecked sled.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Pic of a recently completed Full REPLACEMENT VE Boondocker Tunnel for a 163" Dragon with the improved cooling system.
attachment.php

Attachments

• marked up 01.jpg
    marked up 01.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 5,472
  • marked up.jpg
    marked up.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 5,473
  • tunnel_flat_dragon_timbersled_002[1].jpg
    tunnel_flat_dragon_timbersled_002[1].jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 4,605
Last edited:
X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
^^^Now that is an upgrade worth spending money on. I've been strongly considering a boondock tunnel but didn't want to tear the sled completely down, cause I'm lazy like that :D, and this is a great option. I may still end up doing a full tunnel myself but for others on the fence about it this might be the next best thing.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Mike, it looks great! Sure enjoyed having lunch and visiting with you while you were in Boise. Sorry you had such a whirl wind race for the meeting. I'm glad you decided to go away from the elevated side rail on this design. As you know, and per our conversation, I think the net result will be much safer. I'm anxious to compare the stock width to this modified width for this chassis. As Jeremy stated I've been battling putting some custom Better Boards on a CR Racing widening kit. After seeing Mike's work at the Boise meeting and then working on this other manufacturer's design I can, without hesitation, recommend that anyone looking for a widening kit for their IQ RAW buy the Van Amburg product!

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
that thing looks SICK! if that comes out this year i will definately be adding that to my sled for next year!!!! two thumbs up to VE and eric for coming up with such an awesome concept. not to mention that that would cut about 2hrs labor off of doing the chincy CR kit like i did because you dont have to grind out all the superman strength rivits in the top of the tunnel. not gonna lie guys my eyes lit up like a little kid at christmas when i just saw those pics. I WANT ONE!

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Let me clarify... the last pic of the tunnel all assembled is a FULL Vanamburg Boondocker REPLACEMENT tunnel complete with cooling system.

It is NOT the "add on" kit I am talking about above.... though the add on kit, would look similar.

This photo is of a FULL Vanamburg Replacement Boondocker Tunnel with cooling system.

attachment.php

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Catkiller,

VE has the widening board kits available now @ $299

BTW... This widening kit should fit 2007 RAW Chassis RMK's/Dragons as well.
They will not fit ANY of the 900's, non RMK's/Dragons or RMK's prior to 2007.

The other Boondocker tunnel mod is in development now... we should know more in a few weeks. As of now, there is no kit available nor is there any price information.

Vanamburg RAW Chassis Running board widening kit

attachment.php

Last edited:
J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Catkiller,

VE has the widening board kits available now @ $299

BTW... This widening kit should fit 2007 RAW Chassis RMK's/Dragons as well.
They will not fit ANY of the 900's, non RMK's/Dragons or RMK's prior to 2007.

The other Boondocker tunnel mod is in development now... we should know more in a few weeks. As of now, there is no kit available nor is there any price information.

Vanamburg RAW Chassis Running board widening kit

attachment.php

couldnt help but notice another power claw track in the pic! very nice

B

beefspots

Mar 10, 2008
Dayton, Wyo.
I guess so! Just seen his thread about that. Anxious to see how the track swap comes along I would like to do the same to mine.

B
Dec 13, 2007
Very cool tunnel mod. 1 question though. Is the aluminum outer edge stronger than the stock steel one? I ask beacuse after 1 ride i bowed the sh!t out of the steel one. Ended up taking it off and cutting it in half, then taking a thicker wall tube and inserting it in the stock tube, welding it back together and re-installing it. Works great now. 1.5 seasons on it like that and not even a sign of bowing. So i want to be sure if I buy this that the aluminum edge will hold up as good as my modified edge. If not, I will have to go with board inserts like better boards or the F.U boards.

Thanks
Jeremy

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
the stock polaris steal one was a major under design flaw, week walled tubing to say the least. i can promise you that the new VE aluminum outers will be stronger, i have yet to se a VE product that didnt meet and exceed my expectations

Premium Features