• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snow eliminators.. How did you cut your boards?

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
So I have a set of snow eliminators I am going to put on.. My question is how does everyone cut their existing boards out.. It makes sense to lay these out, mark them and just cut all the board out from underneath, but I have also seen where some are just cutting the squares out, which would seem to be a lot of work and time consuming.. It may make the board stronger though.. I have never ran these or installed them so I am asking for advise from people who have ran and have installed these or similar makes since it could apply to other brands also.. should 1 whole section be removed from under them or should the squares be cut out individually? Any help would be appreciated..:face-icon-small-ton

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I cut mine out completely..if you do cut them out completely use more rivits when you put it togeather..I didnt like the look of hte individual cuts on the underside...

A
Aug 3, 2008
North Idaho
I cut mine out completely, using a fine tooth sawz all blade. I traced the outside edge of each hole, then connected the lines. Cutting within the lines being sure to leave as much material as possible. I had to trim with a die grinder to get it where all the holes were clear. As stated above, I put extra rivets on all sides. Make sure you cover your intake vents, aluminum particles inside the airbox suck!

C
Feb 28, 2008
The brand I bought came with rivet holes in-between many of the cut-outs...so in the interest of not losing those, I cut out each individual square in those areas. Between the front 3 or 4 holes there were no rivet holes, so I cut those all out as one big rectangle.

A bit more time consuming, yes. But what the heck, it's summer! I used a jigsaw with metal blade everywhere it would reach, drilled holes at corners to start them. Anywhere jigsaw could not reach and for fine-tuning the holes I used a pneumatic 3" cut-off tool. Then final shaping and burr clean-up with a hand file. This is a Switchback, probably different layout from the RMK's most of you are doing.

Pic attached.

Attachments

• runbdAFTERunder.jpg
    runbdAFTERunder.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 259
  • runbdAFTERtop.jpg
    runbdAFTERtop.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
i installed no-sno's from fastlane inc on my crossfire and on my buddy's 01 mtn cat. it was not a fun job. i cut the individual holes out on both sleds. the no-sno's are plastic, not aluminum. i ended up using a cutoff wheel on a grinder and a die grinder with an aluminum bit. incase you are wondering, an aluminum bit is a very coarse bit. if you use a regular steel bit, the aluminum will plug it up very fast.

it took a long time because i wanted to make it look as good as i could. on the mtn cat, the drop bracket for the back 2 rear suspension bolts was in the way so i couldn't cut the last hole completely out. kind of hard to see in the pic, but thats how it turned out. oh, and it make a HUGE difference in the powder. Snap1.jpg

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
So I have a set of snow eliminators I am going to put on.. My question is how does everyone cut their existing boards out.. It makes sense to lay these out, mark them and just cut all the board out from underneath, but I have also seen where some are just cutting the squares out, which would seem to be a lot of work and time consuming.. It may make the board stronger though.. I have never ran these or installed them so I am asking for advise from people who have ran and have installed these or similar makes since it could apply to other brands also.. should 1 whole section be removed from under them or should the squares be cut out individually? Any help would be appreciated..:face-icon-small-ton

I cut the whole thing out using a hand saw. Then cleaned it up with a 3 .5 inch metal cutting wheel and a flat file.

Did not cut into the denser metal of the coolant line but did round some of it off by the footwell area. Used the existing holes in the coolant line and did not drill more on the coolant line lip.

Placed the snow eliminator so the last rivets (on it away from the footwell) were fastened into the idler wheel bracket.
Put in at least 50% more rivets it came with when fastening onto the tunnel.

Last edited:
J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
There was a really good thread on here a while ago about somebody installing betterboards i think....or it could have been FU boards? anybody know what Im talking about?

Premium Features