• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled Clean Air Intake kit on my 2006 RMK 700?

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
Is it worth the money? Have already got sidevent kits, and front vent kits, and a SLP can. Is the timbersled intake good? Have read alot around the forum, and havent found anything bad about i? Have also read about the Fire'n Ice intake, but i just found a great deal on one Timbersled kit with low shipping cost. (Wich is quite important since i live in Norway, and usually the international shipping cost a lot.)

Also it says i don't need any reflash/ remap on the sled? Is this right?

Any suggestions? Should i go for it?

All info is much appreciated. Thanks!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
It's pretty hoakey the way it mounts up to your stock plenum IMO.

I have it on my 900 because I needed something that would work with the bumper I installed and FnI stopped making their intake for the 900's, so I ordered the t-sled one....It's pretty hoakey to say the least, but you can make it work.

Plus they want $250 or something for about $20 worth of parts ... kinda rediculous what they ask for it for no more than it is, but I guess everything is that way when I think about it....

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
like Dogmeat said..

the Timbersled is a good product, and it does work (better then some intakes at least) BUT..it is very cheap, and WAAAAAY over priced for what you get..

i have one exactly like the timbersled one on my wife 06 700 and it cost about $50 max for everything..

just get a k&n filter and a piece of sheet metal and work it around the plenum to create a "heat shield" from the pipe...and get an outerwear cover for the filter to stop all the belt dust..

but with that kind of intake, you will injest warm air from the engine, which isnt the best, but as long as your flowing good vents then it will allow more fresh air to your engine..

just make sure you seal the filter really good to the plenum cause you will injest ALOT of belt dust otherwise and stick to your reeds, crank bearings, and cause cylinder damage...

IF you can wait till Sept 09..FNI will have their next line of intakes out fo rthe 755/866 IQs and its well worth it...as long as he doesnt raise the price on them (as i heard from him in feb) so will have to see..

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
How does the timbersled kit mount on the original intake? Is there any gaskets or anything to make it 100% sealed? does everything i need come in the timbersled kit?

I am seriously considering to order the kit as we speak.

Thanks!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
How does the timbersled kit mount on the original intake? Is there any gaskets or anything to make it 100% sealed? does everything i need come in the timbersled kit?

Thanks!

the timbersled filter mounts to the stock air boost box..small section of the intake that goes from the throttl bodies under the pipe and into one opening just to the side of the pipe..

the timbersled will have everyhting to make it work, you might have to use some silicone around the boot fitting just to insure its sealed..

but as long as your getting a good deal ona timbersled kit, its worth it..anything cheaper then $250 US is reasonable..

#11 in the diagram is the boost box..fyi

Last edited:
D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
Ok. Sounds good.

I am looking at a deal on ebay, 224 USD. 257 incl shipping to Norway.

But i'll wait and see what timbersled says, have e-mailed them about the 20% off sale they had earlier this summer. If they are willing to sell it for 200 USD i will buy it from them istead.

Aww, and I had decided not to spend any more money on the sled this summer.
That was a optimistic tought.. :rolleyes:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
IMO... The Timbersled products are well made...

BUT

After trying all of the airboxes on the market (slp, timbersled, tri city, fabcraft, Fire N Ice, stock) except for the Van amburg (similar to the SLP)....

I recommend them in this order.... Fire N Ice, Stock with baffles removed and an aluminum bottom put on it to protect it from blown belts putting a hole in it....

I dont like the airboxes that draw from the nose until they get plugged up with snow then they draw air from under the hood, nor do I like the Timbersled in that it draws hot air from under the hood.

The stock console area is the BEST place to draw cold fresh air from...you have to add larger intake screens in the Dash and maybe under the windshield.

The weight loss claims with the different airboxes from stock ALSO include the removal of the radiator wieght and the hoses/coolant that go with them.

The Fire N Ice intakes will be available again in September and will be worth the wait.

Good luck in your decision.

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Agree with MH...I would only run 2 intakes on a 900. FireNice or stock. Two buddies and I went back to stock air intakes last year due to the shortages of FnI's and the installation of REAL front bumpers. We removed 2 SLP's and one VanAmburg and all three sleds ran beautiful. Another buddy went to a timbersled on an 06 and the complaint was that it seemed to lose just a little bit of response.

All three of the companies mentioned design and build awesome products. It's just in this case, there's only one companies' airbox that's better than stock!!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO

Thanks!

It is pretty hoakey, and doesn't mount up very well at all IMO.

They give you basically a peice of angle aluminum that mounts to your stock plenum in place of the air intake / belt guard, and it uses two self-tapping screws. The screws work themselves loose pretty easily, and you can't use loc-tite on them since it's a metal/plastic interface. So you pretty well have to epoxy the damned thing to your stock plenum.

I did not have a problem with it not flowing enough air last winter, but I also have the FnI hood vent kit. I would recommend a hood vent kit when using this intake.

Even with that said, the intake still basically pulls hot air from a high pressure zone instead of a low pressure zone.

It is not an ideal setup.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
toss the stock screws that come with the kit..use a bolt through your stock plenium (inside out once you mark where the screws would have penetrated)with locknut for the plate studs and then a locknut again on topside of their aluminum bracket...i used a high density foam strip 1/2 wide and 1/2 thick to seal in between to prevent snow ingestion from their poor fit..mine was an old kit though and they say the new ones are better..also mine is on a cat but i hope the info will possibly help..

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
How much does the Fire'N Ice airbox cost?
Could not find the airbox on their website...

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
$

How much does the Fire'N Ice airbox cost?
Could not find the airbox on their website...

they we selling for $300 US last season..

very $$ but whats $50 more then the timbersled...i personally would wait till Sept and get a FNI if your willing to spend that much on one..

or just get a stock intake and gut it...in the meantime..

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
If the Fire'N'Ice intakes are gonna be available in september I would wait and order it. I am not a big fan of the Timbersled intakes even with the sled well vented. If the Fire'N'Ice intake seems to much gut the stock intake out. I did that on my 05 50th anniversary 900 until my SLP intake showed up and after being extremely disappointed with that intake I reinstalled the stock air box, it just worked better IMO.

Personally, with the decreasing value of the 700/900 sleds I would save the money and try gutting the stock intake out first giving that a try and see how you like it.

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
Thanks for the replies guys.

I got a deal on the Timbersled kit, 200 USD directly from him. So i think i will go for that. I hope it will help with the snow ingestion that i experienced last season. In really loose powder the sled bogged like ****..

I understand that it will suck in warm air if the front intake screens get plugged with snow..

But with the timbersled kit i will achieve the best airflow under the hood since it takes less space than any of the other kits? Or am i wrong?

I just really like the look of it, and if it helps with getting rid of the engine bogging in the powder i think i will be happy with it. Also the price is OK, in my opinion.

i run the same as a timbersled intake, just made it myself. i think it works awsome. buddy had slp and in the powder it kept pluggn up. as far as a stock airbox without baffles.....not for me. id rather have filtered clean air. u remove the baffles and then u have no restrictions for dirt, snow etc. IMO.

Premium Features