• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Draining coolant on rmk 900?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Pull the exhast system... and the side Panel on that side.... Drain the coolant from the hose going to the running board on that side... I like to use a shop wet-vac...

Remove the cap from the coolant bottle...

This should get 90% of the coolant out.

I would count on buying one of FBF's throttle/oil cable on the way back in. Also replace all the bolts in the mounts with Grade 8 bolts.

New motor mounts and fuel filters are available from www.hiperf.com... get the 2006 mounts... the filters are the same. 75% of the mounts that I've seen in the 2005's are bad... not apparent untill you hold them in vise and lay them over a bit.

The best source for the filters is High Perf engineering... I think like $26 for the filter.
http://www.hiperf.com
Fuel Filter / Hose Assembly(Reference #241-206)
POLARIS MODELS
700 Classic, Fusion, Touring, RMK 2006
900 Fusion, Switchback 2005-06
900 RMK 2006
$20.96
241206.jpg

You'll need to pull the fuel tank out to access the electrical connectors.

The fuel lines are best disconnected using the plastic "top hat" disconnect tool from LISLE tools.. the other brands (metal or plastic types) dont work so well.

Yes... the CHEAPO plastic ones DO suck!! [They're not thick enough to release the tabs)

But the well designed plastic ones are the best. (IMO)

On the 900's, the scissor types are impossible.

Lisle tool. Complete set. For the Dragons you will need 5/16" and 3/8" ... for the 900's & 755's... you will only need the 5/16"

About $10...
http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=604

37000L.GIF

These look cool... but I've not tried them (yet). Super Dave 3 is using these and says that they are the best he's used so far.... and he's a Polaris Master level tech.
39400c.jpg
39890c.jpg
39400in.jpg

http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=694
Good luck.

Last edited:
M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
Thanks Mountain Horse for the good advise. But I don't see how relieving that hose on the right rail is going to get rid of that much coolant. Anymore than what's in the right rail, and what's in the bottle. What about the coolant in the motor and in the other rail. Or are you saying hook up the shop vac, to the hose and suck the coolant out? Your advise is appreciated!!

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
Pull the exhast system... and the side Panel on that side.... Drain the coolant from the hose going to the running board on that side... I like to use a shop wet-vac...

Remove the cap from the coolant bottle...

This should get 90% of the coolant out.

I would count on buying one of FBF's throttle/oil cable on the way back in. Also replace all the bolts in the mounts with Grade 8 bolts.

New motor mounts and fuel filters are available from www.hiperf.com... get the 2006 mounts... the filters are the same. 75% of the mounts that I've seen in the 2005's are bad... not apparent untill you hold them in vise and lay them over a bit.

You'll need to pull the fuel tank out to access the electrical connectors.

The fuel lines are best disconnected using the plastic "top hat" disconnect tool from LISLE tools.. the other brands (metal or plastic types) dont work so well.

Good luck.

In a Pinch late at night 145am to be exact you can use a hose clamp with the screw part cut off it takes a bit of luck, finger strength, swearing, ect. but It will work I learnt the hard way :D

M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
I like your style Crix!! I was thinking something like that too. But waited until the next day to get the proper tool. Draining the coolant was super simple and clean with a shop vac(thanks to M.horse). Everything is disconnected except the clutch. Is it mandatory to get the polaris clutch puller? Or is their some other puller that you can improvise with. Silly question, but you never know!

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
you need a puller not sure if all polaris pullers are the same

I have one for the 9 but kept it for my 800 never pulled the clutch yet so dont even know if it works on the 8

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
puller info

get teh right puller for your sled..if you do not, you will casue severe damage to your PTO end and destroy your primary...

below is the info from SLP...

pretty much all polaris twins from 00-07 (liberty motor) are the same puller..not 100% sure about 08/09 models..

along with their link..

http://startinglineproducts.com/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=3&catID=24&productID=209

Product Information:

Part # Description Retail

20-129 Clutch Puller, 1997-1999 Polaris Indy 600/700 Twin 36.95

20-136 Clutch Puller, Polaris 1999-00 XCR 700/800, 2000-07 5/6/7/8/900 Twins 36.95

20-141 Clutch Puller, Polaris 550 Fan 36.95

20-72 Polaris Common Clutch Puller, All Except Listed otherwise 36.95

A

aninchlow

Jul 2, 2009
if you need a puller for a one time use, I can make em on the lathe in pretty short order.

Premium Features