• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 900 RMK Exhaust sensor issue

S
Aug 4, 2001
I know....another 900 question!!

Over the last two rides I noticed my check engine light barely flickering, then it would flash a code (5 flashes) and go away, then it started flashing constantly (5 flashes) but go away when the machine was below 3000 rpm. The service manual stated if the probe was out of the parameters and over 3000 RPM for 2 or more minutes the light would flash.

Ok, great. bought a new probe installed it and now it flashes the code (5 flashes) constantly even at idle. WTF? So, I ride 80 miles like this and the machine runs flawless. I go to the dealer on the way home and they are no help at all. The mechanic says "it is the probe".....really, no shiz!! Apparently there is no way to purge the error code memory....gotta find the problem.

So now I trouble shoot. I look at the connector plug closely and the wire is completely broken inside the insulation...fix that with a new connector. decide to do a continuity check on all the probe wires from the ECU (pain in the arse) but good news both wires have continuity. decide to run the sled for kicks without the probe plugged in......yup you guessed it 5 flashes at idle!

OK, maybe it has to do with the MAF sensor since they run in parallel. Checked those wires from the ecu to the sensor...wires good. MAF sensor also has good continuity. Unplugged MAF and it flashed 5 flashes then 3 (MAF code), plug both back in and still 5 flashes. I have the dealer getting me a new exhaust sensor, but the odds of the sensor being bad is slim to none. Any ideas?? Machine runs great with the light flashing. I am stumped any help would be great. Please no smart arse comments.

Dave

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I know....another 900 question!!

Over the last two rides I noticed my check engine light barely flickering, then it would flash a code (5 flashes) and go away, then it started flashing constantly (5 flashes) but go away when the machine was below 3000 rpm. The service manual stated if the probe was out of the parameters and over 3000 RPM for 2 or more minutes the light would flash.

Ok, great. bought a new probe installed it and now it flashes the code (5 flashes) constantly even at idle. WTF? So, I ride 80 miles like this and the machine runs flawless. I go to the dealer on the way home and they are no help at all. The mechanic says "it is the probe".....really, no shiz!! Apparently there is no way to purge the error code memory....gotta find the problem.

So now I trouble shoot. I look at the connector plug closely and the wire is completely broken inside the insulation...fix that with a new connector. decide to do a continuity check on all the probe wires from the ECU (pain in the arse) but good news both wires have continuity. decide to run the sled for kicks without the probe plugged in......yup you guessed it 5 flashes at idle!

OK, maybe it has to do with the MAF sensor since they run in parallel. Checked those wires from the ecu to the sensor...wires good. MAF sensor also has good continuity. Unplugged MAF and it flashed 5 flashes then 3 (MAF code), plug both back in and still 5 flashes. I have the dealer getting me a new exhaust sensor, but the odds of the sensor being bad is slim to none. Any ideas?? Machine runs great with the light flashing. I am stumped any help would be great. Please no smart arse comments.

Dave

I think you have to have the dealer reset the error codes for you, don't you? Otherwise they still will come up ...

S
Aug 4, 2001
Apparently, according to the dealer there is no reset function with the Digital Wrench. You have to find the cause and it will clear itself. Seems like a lame system if that is the case.

Dave

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
snowchaser, I had the same issue with my 900 a while back. Both the exhaust temp probe and the intake air temp sensor share a common ground. The ground wire for my exhaust probe was broken inside the insulation at the air temp sensor plug (two wires come together on one side of the plug). I cut the damaged half of the plug right off and used bullet connectors to repair the wires and plug into the air temp sensor. Taped it up well and secured with ty-wraps. It's been good ever since.

S
Aug 4, 2001
Thanks fusion50th for your valuable comments!!:mad:

High Velocity, I did a continuity test and it shows the wire is good Maybe I will look again

Dave

C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
The dealer tech should have tested the probe using DW. You can power up the system and observe the indicated exhaust temp while heating the probe. It can also be monitored on a graph and check for dips/spikes while wiggling the wiring around to check for intermittent loss of connection.
In such cases the code will be listed as "current" if the fault is happening at the time and "historical" if the wiring is ok (for the moment anyway). The historical code is retained until cleared using the DW software.
The probe is a resistive element. Try heating it while connected to your ohm-meter (analog is better)and observe the readings. Not high-tech but will do well in a pinch.

Premium Features