• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track trimming

wheresthesnow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 2, 2008
Kennewick, WA
What's the best way to trim the lug height on a track. I have a SeriesIV that has 60mm tall lugs, I want them 45mm. I tried doing some with a sawzall and it worked for most of the lug except for the last little bit, the compound is to soft so it wouldn't take off the last bit. It also wasn't the straightest cut. I'm going to measure and draw a straight line, anybody got info on what to cut it with.

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
Box knife

I had to trim about a 1/4 inch off an attack 20 to fit it under my old MM700 i just made a template and a box knife and went to town while watching some tv. I made the first cut and it didn't go all the way through but left a good line to follow. I don't have any pics, didn't really think about that when i did it this last fall. Make sure you use a new razor blade in the knife!

T
Oct 15, 2008
Trimmed many tracks for racing and such. Tried many many different methods but the easiest and most precise way is just a plain old razor blade with a straight edge to follow.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Skillsaw works fast and straight cuts. You have 1" on one side already, just need a 1/2" piece of plywood to fit between the lugs to bring your blade out to where you need to have it cut. Did my track like this in about 5 minutes. Renotched the lugs like stock with a peanut grinder.

djm

Lifetime Membership
An old fashion draw knife has worked the best for me. I have tried several ways and two handled draw knife - used to use one as a kid when peeling logs for fence posts.. I have tried box knifes, sissors of all sizes, It is like cutting butter pulling a new/sharp draw knife across the lugs. Use it a piece of hard wood to set the lug height and just pull across it.

R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
Maybe a hot knife. I have not tried this on a sled track but have used it on many other things. Also have used a propane torch to heat up a razor blade and a knife to cut things before. Race car guys use this trick on racing tires getting rid of old rubber or sometimes adding grooves into slicks for damp conditions.

Here is a one of the best hot knifes on the market. It is expensive unless you have other uses for it.
http://www.demandproducts.com/hotknife.php

It truly cuts things like butter.

Premium Features