• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Setback or extensions--Wedge 133/136 to 141

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Done a little searching on here on pro's and cons but need some hard advice from the "been there done that" crowd. I'm sure to rehash some old debates, but here goes.

Recently bought a pair of tracks for my '97 XLT RMK with the xtra10 suspension to upgrade the stock 133.5 x 1.5" on there now. I bought them both from a former Polaris dealer here for $150 total. I assumed both were 136" tracks, a 2.25" finger and a 2" Camo Challenger. The 2" track is actually a 141, it is like new with only one pair of paddles on one crossbar cracked near the bases. Between the time I bought the tracks and the time I found out that the one was a 141, I bought a set of 136 x10 rails to convert my suspension to a 136 so I wouldn't need extensions for a 136 track. I am planning to use the 141" track with 8-tooth drivers (possibly no-slips).

I know using 136-144 extensions on my 133" rails would be an easier and cleaner setup. A while back though, I found this link on the web talking about setbacks: http://www.sledbc.com/sledbc/drop_n_roll.htm It got me to thinking about doing a setback of 2.5" with the 136 rails I bought and no extensions. I already have the money invested in the rails instead of buying extensions (either 136/141 or 133/141) on top of that. The change in approach angle sounds good, but I've read in other posts that the transfer changes to the skis make it harder to steer and track stabbage is a concern? Would the setback be benificial if I decide to use the no-slip sprockets to keep them from interfering with the rail tips? I appreciate your help, this isn't going to get done until summer or fall for next season.

A little background: I posted a while back in this section about putting a 151" x 2.25" on this sled. Track had seen more use than I was comfortable with. I actually sold it on E-bay last week (with lots of pictures and a very good description of damage--far better than the seller on this forum I bought it from disclosed.)

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
You are going to be moving your axle back about 4: when going from that 133.5 to a 141.
You could set it back a little, but you'll still need extensions.
Setting back too far makes your front end too heavy. BEEN THERE and done that.
If you set it back, you'll probably need to change the rear drop brackets. Been there and done that.
If you set it back, you'll also want to drop the whole thing down as you go. Been there and done that. (see heavy skis comment)
It's like 3/4" down for every 1.5" you go back.

Premium Features