• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DET sensor on 05 900 need help installing new one

P
Feb 22, 2009
OK so couple of questions, my dealer wanted alot to install this....i have the tank and the seat off so i can unplug the old one, ONe guy told me to take off the head to do it...another said just to take of the driven and the fuel filter holder and the rear rad hose then you can get it.....

Just wondering if there is a torque spec you need for this..i cant find it anywhere........and if i do just take off the head will have to replace the o rings.....just replaced them and have only test ridden on the lake once and on and off the trailer

thanks

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
it would be easier to just remove the head to replace and you can reuse the o rings if they were just installed. torque should be 18 ftlbs

P
Feb 22, 2009
i have the tank and seat off...just wondering when i put the tank back on...do i need to bleed the fuel rail....or if any special tools are needed to put it back on...dealer took the tank and seat off for me.....

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
no special tools to put it back together. if that stuff is off i would just try to get it off with out pulling the head. it is a 13mm head bolt i am pretty sure but it could be a 10mm. it usually takes 5-6 pulls to get mine started after i have the fuel lines off. if you look on snowest here there is a procedure where you can apply 12v to a wire and run the fuel pump to prime it if you want.

P
Feb 22, 2009
not sure if i will beable to get a torque wrench in there with the head on.....how crucial is the torque.....dont want to do all this and not have it work...dealer was giving a line that they are really hard to do....wanted like 6 hours to do it

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
torque not critical. just get it tight, don't leave it loose or it can cause false readings. 18ftlbs is tight with a 6-8" hand wrench. not cranking on it but a good pull.

P
Feb 22, 2009
ok ihtink i will try to do it this aft and if i cant get it...take it to the dealer....dont want to take the head off if i dont have to...hate bleeding the coolant lines.....makes a really big mess!

how has your sled been i ahve only had mine 2 months....blew the mag side...then the clutch side..(missed matched pistons second time...didnt know they were different)

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Did mine a couple months ago! It is a bioooootch to get to. Took me about an hour to get that one stupid little bolt in and tight and I am a pretty good wrench. I also used blue loctite on the bolt to make sure it didn't back out. Good luck!

Aaron

P
Feb 22, 2009
ok so i got it done...was a PITA to get at...but only had to take off the gas tank and seat.....left the driven clutch on. Anyways.. its done.....and now all i have to do it take it for a ride to see how she does.....only tightented it like a spark plug....should be good...

Premium Features