• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 Low Voltage Problem

Dec 10, 2007
I'm having a low voltage issue on my '06 900 where it is only putting out about ~10.2VDC. On the display this translates into 2 bars. Interesting thing is if I pull both of the headlight bulbs (or unplug the entire hood harness) the voltage output returns to normal at 12-13VDC.

Here's what been tested so far:

Unplugged hand warmers - no change
Checked & cleaned chassis ground - no change
Checked resistance on stator/lighting coils - within spec
Checked amperage output on each stator coil - seemed consistent
Swapped voltage rectifier/regulator with another 900 - no change
Swapped chassis relay - no change
Swapped entire hood/gauge cluster - no change

Note: TPS has been recently replaced and is adjusted correctly, sled idles good and goes in/out of reverse without issues.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
B
Nov 26, 2007
Northern MN
Low Voltage on 900

I had an issue with low voltage and it turned out to be one phase of the stator had burned out.

to check this measure the resistance between yellow wires from the stator:

Y1 to Y2 = .3 ohms
Y1 to Y3 = .3 ohms
Y2 to Y3 = .3 ohms

It will be an open circuit in one of these measurements if there is a failure.

Dec 10, 2007
Had the same problem once before, turned out to be the capaciter.

I have not yet checked the capacitor. The service manual says to charge it up with a 12v source and check for power output. What testing results would indicate a bad cap? Not being able to hold a charge at all?

Thanks for the replies.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
see this thread

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73220

Capacitor Testing
1. Charge the capacitor for 10 seconds using a 12 volt battery
by connecting the positive (+) lead to the Red/White wire
and the negative (-) lead to the brown wire.
2. Monitor the capacitor voltage with a multimeter. The
voltage should slowly drain down from the initial charge.
If the cap does not hold a charge or drains rapidly, replace
the component.

capacitor.jpg

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
I tested my capaciter as per the service manual and it tested ok. Reaplaced with a known good capaciter and problem solved.

My issue was ok voltage at idle and voltage went down as RPM went up.

Dec 10, 2007
Problem solved! Swapped the capacitor and voltage output is back to normal with a reading of ~13vdc at idle. Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction.

If I get a chance I will test the known bad unit per the procedure in the service manual and see what the results are.

L

lowridermatt

Feb 1, 2009
Whitehose,Yukon
Poor charging on 900

Hey guys, thanks for kickass forum. I have a 06 900 with low charge on display. Started out with bogging and engine light flashing once while limping back to truck. Sled has always had low charge on display shortly after being new. Dealer could not figure out. Told me when it quit charging, he would honor the prob. Ive now ridin my sled for 4 years with charge being down a little. So, since it only a had single flash on display and I noticed the voltage bar is now only reading 2 bars, I concluded obviously that there was not enough power. From other threads I had read, I thought that maybe the cap was bad. My friend let me use his cap. While changing the cap I found that mine had been hot enough to almost melt out of the plastic portion and you can rattle it. So out for test ride I go with other cap in its place. Charging system hasn't charged this good since new......As my sled gets warmer, the voltage bar slowly makes its way down to 2 bars then runs bad with 1 flash on display. But in the pure nature of me just wanting to ride sometime before the snow leaves. What are your ideas on this electrical prob?.Looking around under my hood, seems the protons and electrons look like they are flowing through my wires and connectors and not through any of my chassis(Dont see any shorts).Last year had major engine,clutch,plastic around clutch issues. Crossing fingers at fixing prob without too much headach. Is it usually pretty obvious if it is stator or regulator? Have not found test for regulator and have manual for stator R test but I noticed a thread where they said something about the Amperage. Your input would be great. I just want to be armed when I go to deal with my 900 again.

Premium Features