• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900 rmk runnning like crap after you hit some powder.

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
Just like the title says a buddies 900rmk is running like crap after he hits some deep powder. What would cause this? Do they have the same problem as the dragon with the seal behind the headlight? What else could the problem be.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
does it sound like its bogging when he hits the powder..does it die? how soon will it run ok after it bogged out..

what type of intake system does he have..if its a front mounted on (like SLP) they will jamb up with snow and bog out..

he also may be injesting snow somewhere..YES around the headlight needs the updated seal, he should silicone ANY GAP on the sled, front end, fenders, console.. anywhere you see light through..

throw back some more details and i will be glad to help out..

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
They can be real bad if you're running the SLP or a front of engine mounted airbox intake set-up. I'm running the stock airbox and am experiencing the same thing and just ordered more intake vents from Firenice. I'm hoping that will help my pow bog in 4 foot plus pow.

Was hoping for the firenice airbox for Christmas, but I got the vents first. I think my wife is saving for the crank. Still very thankful though.

I know the headlight seal was an issue on the dragons but I never heard of it on the 900's?? Maybe "THE MAN" can chime in and add his advice and add it to my growing tab.

S
Sep 10, 2005
Grand Junction, CO
Ok, For the record. A properly installed SLP airbox does NOT fill with snow and bog in deep powder. In over 1600 powder miles mine has never had snow in it and has never failed to breath. The Pipe gets backed up from time to time but that's common on a lot of sleds. I ride on Buff Pass and now on the Mesa and we have over the hood snow A LOT. Even when the front screen is packed the SLP pulls air from under the hood.
Here are a couple of typical rides and my 900 ran fine.

P1020628.jpg P1020635.jpg

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
Well found out now that one cylinder only has 20psi and the other has about 90psi, what should it have i'm even thinking the 90 psi is a little on the low side. What would you guys reccomend to do? He has only put a few miles on the sled since he bought it this fall. It has about 1000miles on it.

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
Hopefully the cylinders are still ok. Will till him to check the intake boots. It has a slp airbox onit i think, they told me it has a different airbox and it is under the pipe up front so that is why i think it is an slp. Any other tips and tricks i might be missing?

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
Intake boots are a must, if they are cracked they can cause your sled to lean out and burn down which is not an uncommon problem. Another thing to keep in mind is if it has a front mount air box it is more than likely an SLP air box, which is connected to the front nose of the sled which is very weak with no support and if any snow at all gets in under the hood or possibly threw the front screens with as much play as the whimpy plastic front ends have they can definetly ingest snow, doesn't sound like thats your friends problem though. You may need to pull the head and exhaust off to check out the pistons good to see what you may have going on in there.

Also, The TCP air box which also mounts in the front is aluminum and the SLP air box is plastic.

Last edited:
I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
What type of compression gauge ar you using?? The reason I ask is I almost tore down an engine because the compression readings were too low. Then I decided to double check compression with a better gauge (Snap-on) and guess what the readings were better ( within spec) and I just ran the sled for two more seasons with no problem and later sold it and that guy had no problems either.
As for the SLP air box like mentioned previously the can work good and the also can be a problem.
I find that the heat from the pipe warps and bends them slightly and you now will ingest powder. Also the airbox kit doesn't have enough screws to seal the outer flange.
I put two more screws in between every screw they provide.
I also had to build a bracket to support ( internally) the oval shape (intake) that the airbox clamps onto. This part over a two year period also warped.

Premium Features