• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900/755 RMK: Recoil housing removal Warning

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If you need to pull the recoil housing on the 2005 900 RMK/Switch/Fuse & 2006 900/700 RMK/Switch/Fuse

Read this first.

To access the stator or replace a broken starter rope you will need to remove the engine.

I highly suggest using high strength pull start rope from www.ftxmotorsports.com if you pull the housing off... It's a good investment in problem avoidance.

If you need to pull the recoil housing on the engine you will notice that there is one bolt on the recoil housing on the 2005's and 2 bolts on the 2006's that is not accessible...

Once you have them out... leave off these non accessible bolts for future ease of maintenence.

DO NOT pry up on the engine to remove the bolts.

If you do, you WILL break the front motor mounts (tear the rubber). (ouch)...

The thing that sux is that you can't tell if you tore them with the engine in the sled.

There are many of the 2005 sleds out there running that have torn mounts in them.

Vibration and belt heat/failure are some symptoms.

Crank failure to follow.

If you need to replace them... go with the stiffer durometer 2006 mounts from www.hiperf.com. or compfusions mounts

IMO, Do NOT pry up on the engine to get the bolts out.

You will have to remove the 4 front bolts and two rear bolts that hold the engine in the sled and lift the engine slightly for access to the recoil housing bolts. This is in addition to removing the belt, the primary, the chassis brace on both mag and pto sides, slp torque arm if you have one, the exhaust pipe and can and pulling the fuel lines from the tank. There are probably more things that I'm missing here... but you get the idea.

IMO, best to pull the complete engine and give yourself the ability to clean and check everthing out.

I also strongly suggest replacing all the bolts in the mounts with Grade 8 or better (L-9 or ARP high strength bolts)

I suggest using a small impact and the proper fitting 5mm hex driver to remove the hex-socket head cap screws that hold the recoil housing on the engine.

Do not use a loose fitting driver and don't use the ball drivers...
they tend to strip out the inside of the soft-headed factory hex-socket on the bolt that holds the cover and then you have really buggered up the bolts (held in from the facory with red locktite).

To pull the front plate/mount assy, you will have to pull the motor. (If you have broken the mounts or want to inspect them)

This pic shows a 2005 900 front motor mount. The mount was "laid over" in a vise to show the torn rubber.
This mount looked normal at first inspection!!

Brokenmount.jpg

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
the 2006 mounts are different than the 2005's in internal design and hardness of the rubber.

Yes, compfusion is selling his mounts with improved urethane mounting components.

Luba, you didn't do a search on Hiperfs site did you??

Search: "motor mount 900" and you'll get your page

#345-512 fronts, #345-513 rears

Listed for 2006 only, but they also fit the 2005's

Get your fuel filters for the 900's here too.... cheaper than the dealer.

P
Feb 22, 2009
ya make sure you do...bad nes for me....trying to get at my stator...and all the botls are in the recoil housing......here comes the motor mounts next....bah!

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
I don't know Horse if you leave bolts out of this vibrator you are asking for trouble; leave maybe leave the bottom one but work isn't so bad as replacing expensive rewinds

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
rmk727.. you make a good point... these ARE "paint shakers" ...but I have over 3000 trouble free miles on 900's with the bolts not installed in the lower positon...many others too including some hot running 1140's and 975"s with high compression.

Last edited:

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
All mechs are not created equal; I would understand you and the real mod guys as they tend to do things correct but for jo rider I see spidercracked housings in his future, ouch

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
727... I hear where you are coming from... I've heard some pretty schetchy schemes out there.... some with very poor results.

The average Joe will probably pry up on the housing/engine to get access... that causes big problems...

I really would not tell someoe to do something that was dangerous or problematic....

The reason I pointed out the 975's and 1140's... they take a whole lot more force to pull them over.... which puts a lot more stress on the housing than the normal 900 (866cc)

The 2007 900 RMK's didnt even have the bottom holes drilled in the recoil housing... much less have a bolt in there...yet the recoil housing itself was the same except for the hole-less boss on the botom.

Last edited:

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
the drift is it's a good time to at least take the motor loose and check if not upgrade the mounts along with your rope.

Z
Oct 10, 2008
dixon, il
Ok so I understand that I have to remove the motor mounts to get to the stator but does the motor have to come right out or just have the mounts removed to redo the pull rope?

niko.

It is possible to get your recoil housing off a 2005 fusion 900 without removing the motor, or prying up on the motor. I've never worked on a 2006 and it may not be possible on that year with the motor positioned as it is, but I have done it on a 2005. There is 1 bolt that is very hard to get at and I had to go at it blind as I could not even see it with a flashlight. I do remember it being a real pain in the azz, but it can be done.

Premium Features