• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 900 MFD Cutting out?

F1

Premium Member
Sep 21, 2004
Utah
www.wideopenperformance.net
I have a 06 900 that I just installed a new motor in. If the sled has been sitting for a day I can start it and everything works, the sled idles fine and the MFD works, if I turn it off and restart it the MFD will not work and the sled idles up and down.

I read that the hand warmers can short out and cause the MFD to quit working. I disconnected my hand warmers and still have the problem. I am going to check the TPS to make sure it is set correctly.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Casey

C

clay hale

Dec 6, 2007
Mfd

your on the right track. I would suspect tps or broken wire at the tps harness.

same mfd goes out when sled runs over a minute or two always goes blank above 4500 or 5000 rpms did the tape under hand warmer thing at high idle sled has 12 to 12.5 volts checking with digital meter when you rev sled voltage slowly goes down till mfd goes blank somewhere around 10.75 volts ???? Should i change stator or voltage regulator as far as i can tell dont have any broken or bar wires anyhwre help please

B

benamen

Feb 21, 2008
Western Canada
Here's what the manual indicates to do

Regulated Voltage
1. Connect the alternator to main harness connector.
2. Insert one of the tester leads along the side of the yellow regulator wire connector between the insulation and the
terminal.
3. Ground the other tester lead.
4. Start engine and observe headlight output. Increase engine RPM. If the headlights seem dim above 3500 RPM, let
the engine return to idle and disconnect the yellow wire from the regulator. Carefully observe the voltage reading.
Do not allow voltage to increase above 14.0 volts.
5. Slowly increase RPM. Voltage above 12 volts at 2500 - 3000 and a bright headlight, indicates a good lighting coil.
Voltage below 10 volts at 3000 indicates excessive system loads, poor flywheel magnets, lighting coil problems, or
wires harness problems. Check for partially grounded (shorted) yellow wire.
6. Reconnect the yellow regulator wire and increase the RPM. If the headlight was bright with the regulator
disconnected and dim when connected at the same RPM, the regulator or regulator ground is at fault.

F1

Premium Member
Sep 21, 2004
Utah
I calibrated the TPS and checked the wiring harness. I also tested the capacitor; it was good so I changed the relay out with a known good relay from another sled. Still have the same problem.

Sled will start some times and the headlight and MFD work, sled idles fine, then I hear a click almost like a relay and it starts to idle erratic and no head light. If I kill it and restart it will idle up and down, no MFD and no head light.

I guess I will check the regulated voltage, any other ideas?

Thanks
Casey

F1

Premium Member
Sep 21, 2004
Utah
Checked the stator per the manual it should be G/R-G/Y=15 ohms G/Y-BR/W=15 ohms
G/R-BR/W=30 ohms

On my sled it was G/R-G/Y=14.8 ohms G/Y-BR/W=14.8 ohms
G/R-BR/W=28.1 ohms

I would think this is close enough, what do you guys think?

I still need to check the regulated voltage.

Thanks

Casey

B

benamen

Feb 21, 2008
Western Canada
Hey F1,

My first post was to address Clay's issue.

Super Dave 3 has given you a good starting point for your problem. A low idle speed will result in no current being sent to the display and lights. There are good threads on this forum on how to check the TPS plus you could gently wiggle the wires on the TPS harness to see if there is a short or broken wire causing the idle problem.

I'm new to these sleds (I own a 05 900) so cannot offer you much more assistance.

Ben

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
I had a 06 900 in the shop once with the exact problem you describe. Turned out to be a broken wire at the TPS harness.

Premium Features