• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Crank Bearing Questions...Urgent!

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
I am rebuilding my 07 600 RMK and I noticed that the 2 inner crank bearing do not spin as free as the outers. They feel smooth but willnot free spin at all. Is this normal or do i need to replace it?

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
I think it is OK. When it is in the cases it feels perfect. I am just used to a banshee where they all spin like crazy when they are dry and clean.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
If you wash them clean with gas then they should spin completely free. But if they come out of the case they will be loaded with oil and won't necessarily spin free. They should spin completely smooth though, but not necessarily spin "loose" or "free".

sled_guy

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
seals are built into the center bearings.

If you wash them clean with gas then they should spin completely free. But if they come out of the case they will be loaded with oil and won't necessarily spin free. They should spin completely smooth though, but not necessarily spin "loose" or "free".

sled_guy

Danno, the center seals are inside the center two bearings on that small block. Your thinking Big Block.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
So they are... but they still should be smooth, but wouldn't spin freely then right?

Didn't the 600 small block have issues with those bearings? Seems like the '06 had some failures there.

sled_guy

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
So they are... but they still should be smooth, but wouldn't spin freely then right?

Didn't the 600 small block have issues with those bearings? Seems like the '06 had some failures there.

sled_guy

My buddies 06 is getting a crank right now because of this.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
It feels perfectly smooth and once it is in the case all feels perfect. There is just a very noticeable difference between the inners and outers.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
center 2 bearings on small block

I am rebuilding my 07 600 RMK and I noticed that the 2 inner crank bearing do not spin as free as the outers. They feel smooth but willnot free spin at all. Is this normal or do i need to replace it?

Dan, ( sled_guy ) Here was his first post....... Thats exactly how a sealed bearing should feel. ( snug and should not free spin )

If the center two bearings feel the same as the outters on a small block then chances are the bearing seals are junk.

Dan

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Lets get this bearing this straight!!!!

My buddies 06 is getting a crank right now because of this.

Dude, If your buddy replaced his center bearings on a small block because they felt different from the outters then he and the crank place that serviced it .................. Are completely missunderstanding how different the center bearings are from the outters.

Don't get me wrong......... There are smone problems with small-block center bearings once and awhile........BUT the problem is the exact opposite as whats explained in this thread.

The the center bearings feel exactly like the MAG & PTO bearings then the seals inside te bearings are junk and can be easily detected by a pressure check.

The feel of these bearings should not be desided by a rockie.

The feel of the center bearings on a small block verses an old Big-Block are completely different.

Dan

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Small block verses Big-Block

People lets get something straight between the small block & the big-block.

The old big-block seals the charge between cylinders - With a solid smooth hub & there are grooves machined into the case the kill the pressure signal.

The small - block - Seals the charge between cylinders with a special seal bearing, ( You can NOT see the seal on a small-block ) The mall-Block Has a drive gear in the case so you cannot run a Wave style center seal. ( or better knowen as a Labyrinth Seal )

Premium Features