• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mouthful of track swap qustions

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
OH NO! NOT HIM AGAIN!!!

Had this posted in perfomance section not many people looking and none offering advice so I'll try it here:

Okay, here's the deal. I bought a used 151" track off of the forum to put on my 1997 XLT RMK 600. Current setup is factory Xtra-10 w/ 133" rails, 1.5" track, 9-tooth drivers, SLP Triple pipes. Am trying to get an idea of what parts I need to save up for and purchase as I can afford them. Here's my questions:

--Track is a 151 x 2.25 x15 polaris track that has about a dozen paddles missing and a few more that are cracked and is ported down middle (amateur job). For the price I paid I figured I could cut down paddles if I had to. Western Power Sports catalog says a 2.25 paddle will fit on 9-tooth drivers with tallest paddles trimmed. Will 8-tooth drivers give me enough clearance for 2.25" paddles without trimming?

--I have a set of kimpex 7-tooth internal drivers off an '85 600 shaft that are next to new that I could use to get the needed clearance. However, there are a few of the drive lugs on inside of track that are chunked, a couple pretty good. I am concerned about track slippage on the internals, especially with the smaller 7-tooth drivers. The track is clipped every third lug, and I was thinking of 8-tooth no-slip srockets if they would fit, but ads say no-slips are only for fully clipped tracks.

--What length track extensions to use with odd size 133 rails and smaller circumerence drivers? 136/151, 136/156? What brand--SLP, WPS?

--Track stabbage and interferance with rail tips for 8-tooth no slips. Is this going to be a problem? I'm not sure if I want to tackle moving the skid back or cutting rails to prevent these issues just yet.

--I know I will have to gear down some and change clutch setup to compensate for longer/deeper track. What was stock gear ratio and how many teeth count would I have to move up/down to get proper track speed? What would be a good clutch setup for this combination?

Thanks for looking, and let me know if there's anything else to consider. Looking to add some performance heads down the road to help out as well for a little more oompf.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Call tracksusa and buy a 151" Xtra-lite suspension, and sell your xtra-10 for $250. 8 tooth drivers should work along with a big wheel kit in rear. Find a better track that has no lugs missing. I don't like seeing used tracks on here or any place that has missing lugs. Another man's junk doesn't justify it like that.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
track

If you go 8 tooth, the 2.25 will still be kind of tight but should work. The reason for using a fully clipped track is for even wear on both the drivers and the track.

You may be able to go with a slightly shorter rail extension and set the suspention back to clear the extroverts if you run them. That will help on the approach angle too. Either manufacturer of extension will work. I would buy them and dry fit everything before drilling. That way if they aren't quite right you can exchange them. The 133 is an odd duck so you may need to play with it a little. Don't forget to make sure you have some track adjustment.

Clutching will not change much if any. Gear it down to about a 1.95:1 or 2.05:1 ratio. The smaller drivers will make it even lower. That's a lot of track for an XLT so it should be good with that ratio.

Premium Features