• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bad Oscar Customs 800 Big Block Kit Install on 05 440 polaris race sled

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Well hear is my install and I will update this as much as I can to keep all the info correct and to show you the presses that I took to transform a mild 440 trail race sled into what I believe to be close to the perfect mountain sled. This sled was and is currently being built aon a very tight budget so I don’t have $10,000 poured into the engine or a $3000 suspension but I still think the sled is going to be sick when im done. Hear is a list of parts I have added and changed, I will try to explain them in order.

1. Bad Oscar Customs 800 VES
2. Remounting and modifying the carbs to fit
3. Crankshop Twin chrome pipes and silencer install
4. Chassis mods to install the engine
5. Other little mods that I did
6. Boss Seat install

Hears a list of all the parts
03 800 VES
Crankshop twin pipes
C/A Pro Skis for spring
Polaris Gripper skis for Pow
RSI hand guards
RSI Handle bar heaters
RSI Bar Pad
Protaper Handlebars
Mountain Machine Performance riser
Mountain Machine Performance Billet 8” rear wheel kit
Walker Evans factory race shocks with remote reservoirs, revalved and rebuilt
Custom skid plate
Boss seat
151x15x2.25 Maverick track
121x15x2 (on sled and for spring riding) :eek:
Custom drop down brackets

Buying soon (if you got it shoot me a PM)
Ice age MFG Rails
Boondocker or BD nitrous kit
V-force 3 reads
Drop and roll kit??? :confused:
Used blue plastic fenders
Chrome windshield??? :confused:

Also I am going to be building my own tunnel extension so that should be interesting… :face-icon-small-fro

I purchased the sled, a 2005 polaris 440 race chassis. The previous owner had installed a 600 ves so that was the first thing to go.

Then I had to find an engine to replace it. I originally looked into putting a mod 05 900 engine in that I had sitting on my floor in the garage but decided that it would be to much work. I looked at getting a 07 or 08 600 and making it into a 660 or 680 but that would be about $4000 by the time I was done. I also looked into getting some of the older mod engines but I decided that I would use an 800 VES.

1.The reason I chose the Bad Oscar Customs kit is because of the piece of mind that a well know engine builder who rides modified race sleds him self went through the engine, completely rebuilding it from the ground up and having the piece of mind that it’s not going to grenade on the first ride.

The Kit I purchased came with the following~
03 Polaris 800 VES completely rebuilt
Bad Oscar Customs Motor plate
Crankshop Chrome Pipes and silencers
Carbs
Cables
All electroncs
Exhaust springs
All sensors needed
Coil

Another thing that I did not buy was included free of charge was countless hours of help from Spank him self, the owner. With out his help and great knowledge I would still be scratching me head with the sled laying in pieces in my garage floor!

2.In order to get the carbs to fit I had to do a few mods. First off, at the angle that they were at it would be impossible to mount the pods on the carbs with out them hitting the jackshaft. Some things we did was shim the back of the engine up 1/8” and we turned the carb boots upside down to angle the pods up so they would clear. This of course required some mods to the carbs. We had to grind down 2 bolts that hold the boots on the engine in order for the carbs to sit right in the boots. We wanted to be 100% sure we had a perfect seal as an air leak could cause severe damage to the engine. That alone was not enough so we ground off some excess mettle on the carbs to give the extra clearance we needed. I will show some pics next time I have the engine out.

We threw the engine in and it all fit PURFECTLY! So I was messing around and noticed that the cables that attach to the carbs would hit the head… So we pulled the engine out again to modify the brackets. We heated them up with a torch and rotated those about 20 degrees or so.

3. Crankshop chrome pipes and silensers Fit great and look AMAZING! It makes my average mod look like a show sled and best of all I can see my reflection when ever I look at them. The only downside is they are so shiny that when I have my hood open they blind me lol.

The install is very easy; if you can’t install pipes then you really shouldn’t be swapping an engine. The only thing I had to mod was my hood and where they exit the sled. These pipes sit VERY close to the hood so the first thing I did was whip out my trusty aluminum tape and I went to town on the hood putting 2 layers of it directly above the pipe. I also applied it to the inside of my fender wells, my side panels console and water as they sit very close and in a bad wreck I don’t want all my plastic melted to the pipes. Heck I don’t want my plastic melted to anything.

The only thing remotely challenging thing about the install was figuring out how to mount the silencer and have it exit cleanly. Remember that my sled has had 3 different engines in it before so there are 5 holes in my fender from the other pipes. Also, the previous owner stole a road sign and used it as a plate to mount the silencer to so I thought I should make a new one. I simply took a piece of 1/8” aluminum plate and made my own block off. I have not yet cut them out for the pipes but I will post pics when I do.

4. Chassis mods included the removal of the aluminum bar that sits right above the steering arm. This bar is very important structurally. It is placed on the inside of the chassis and its purpose is to take the abuse from the rear part of the a-arm. With out it there I believe that the chassis is much more at risk for cracks and flexing. Many people cut the bar out and simply weld a new one about 2 inches lower. I will most likely do this but I do not believe it is enough to maintain the strength of the chassis so this next weekend we are going to also try and add a aluminum support that bolts to the black steel cross bar that runs from the top of the chassis and down to the original mounting spots just behind the a-arm mount. it’s going to be a tight fit because it has to fish around the water pump, exhaust, steering brackets, steering post, and it also needs to be removable. I will definitely get pics when we get it complete.

5. Also, you have to cut about an inch or so out of the chassis just behind where the primary would be. I have not reinforced it or filled the hole so when are looking at the pics and see a big hole don’t freak out!

We are also looking at running a aluminum brace going from the top of the shock tower on the PTO side of the engine running back and bolting around the bolts that hold the jackshaft in place. The mount would run just along side of the engine block and right next to the clutch cover at about the same height. The Brace would look a lot like the ones used in the 05-06 RMK chassis.

Some other little stuff that i need to do is make a mount for my oil tank. I am either going to mount it directly above the engine or on the PTO side fender well directly above the primary. My only thought about mounting it there is that it is moving the center of balance some by putting all that weight on the side. ANY ideas or responses would be appreciated!

5. I started out with a Boss seat designed for a 05-06 polaris RMK. The first thing did was unzip the underside of the seat and cut a little bit of the foam off the front of the seat and a had to shave a bit off the back to make it fit the 9 gallon tank that I have. The install is very easy and takes about 20 min. After you cut the foam down all you have to do is mark your holes and drill. I went to the craft store and just bought replacement Velcro to hold the back of the seat down and it feels GREAT and should be an awesome seat with storage, something that new sleds apparently don’t have for some reason?????

6. Race Chassis skid plate- To make a skid plate for the race chassis all you need to go is buy a IQ skid plate. You need to cut about 2” off the back of the plate and you will need to bend it about 10” from the front. To achieve the bend we heated it up with a torch and bolted it on so it would contour to the shape of the race chassis which is much different then that of the IQ RMK chassis. After it molded right we simply took it off, sanded all the edges to get a factory look. Drilled some more holes to mount it on the chassis. We sanded the bur marks with fine grit sand paper and covered it with some clear coat to get rid of the black burn marks and it looks factory now. I will probably build an aluminum skid plate and have it anodized orange so if anyone wants mine let me know and I will sell it to you.

SORRY! i went over the limit for one post!

Last edited:
C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Anyways, I will post a whole bunch of pics and update this as much as possible. I will post the pics in order as well.
Ohh and by the way, I would like to thank a few people!

Bad Oscar Customs ~ Spank
(801)-732-1101

Thanks a lot for all the help and im going to be hitting you up for clutch specs and a I have a few questions for the rear suspension still.

Im sure spank would help anyone on the forums hear with a question and he has everything you need and then some to install an engine in a IQ sled. If you are looking for a engine that you can rely on if you are just looking for add ons, look no further than BOC. Spank held up his end of the deal much better than he needed to and I will only do business with him, SLP, or INDY DAN. :cool:

BOC has engines waiting to be dropped into sleds so call soon, seasons starting! :present:

Powder Coating of Montana ~ Ross
(406)-721-8422

He answered a ton of my questions and was great to talk to! Looking forward to sending my a-arms, rails, rear suspension, wheels, bars, head, spindles, springs, and skid plate in for some orange powder coating.

1200 PSI ~ Brad

RSI- Had some product problems( my fault) and they were tones of help. From now on its RSI only for me.

I called him a few times and he helped me out and answered my questions. There was a problem with one of our transactions and he resolved it before I even contacted him about it. He’s a great guy and I look forward to doing business with him in the future.

Enjoy the pics and please post with coments, ideas, or you can just ***** about how long the post is lol. i will have better pics and more info up soon!:cool::beer;:beer;:beer;

EDIT- The pics are now in order starting when i got the sled to present.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

600 engine.JPG 600 engine 4.JPG IQR 2.JPG engine out edit.JPG mount gone edit.jpg

Last edited:
C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I forgot to add this.

I am wondering how i should go about building my tunnel extension.

I am going from a 121 to a 151 so the tunnel should be 30" longer? Should i move my cooler back? I have a cooler off of a 900 RMK, could i just add it onto the back and add it into the system?

I also kind of wanted to get rid of the hose coming up through the back of the tunnel.

If anyone has done any of this or has any other comments or ideas, please post!
:D :beer;:beer;:beer;

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

engine mount  2008.jpg edit 2.JPG carbs edit.JPG pipes edit.JPG engine mount  2008 edit 34 dddd.JPG

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
nice looking sled, hope to be able to come ride with it sometime this winter, that thing is gonna be a blast, i love shorter sleds, but the 151 800 will be awsome to ride all winter, and the shorty is gonna be a blast in the spring, good luck finishing it!!

B
Nov 26, 2007
Sweet!!

Brad looks good!! You will be ripin that thing in no time! Keep up the good work and let me know if I can help out?

Thanks for The good remarks!! ;)

I also sent you some pics that you have been needing!

Thanks again dude!!:beer;

H
Dec 9, 2007
Chewelah, Washington
I forgot to add this.

I am wondering how i should go about building my tunnel extension.

I am going from a 121 to a 151 so the tunnel should be 30" longer? QUOTE]

Your extension only needs to be 15" longer. When going to a longer track you divide the difference in length by 2 to get the total length that you will actually see on the skid.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
i knew that. don't know what i was thinking? :beer; thanks lol.

Does anyone have pics of custom installs of the rear tunnel? I'm looking for ideas now!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

edited.JPG skid edit.JPG front of sled edit.JPG sled rear edit.JPG skidplate 2.jpg 180 edit.JPG air filters edit.JPG

Last edited:

hudini

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston area
I too am knee deep in the middle of this build but I am running my 910. I went the easy route and orded a motor plate and carb adapters from Brad and things are going smoothly. I actually have a seat and tank coming from Spank and I hope they show up soon. I am going to be mounting my oil tank above my primary, I have to figure out the brackets though.

I am running a 166'' track so I went the easy way with this also and had Van Amberg build one for me. I am going to make the stock aribox work so I don't have issues with the pods in deep pow. SOunds like you are getting a lot of work done and the build pics look great.

There is a ton of great info on Hardcoresledder.com under 440/race modified, check it out.

Keep up the great work.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I would still like to see some pics of some custom iq race sled tunnle extensions. Also, i am not sure what to do to combine the stock rear cooler with another cooler for the added tunnle. I have one off of my 900 i can use. I am told you can jsut weld them together but this sounds a bit more complicated than that.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

air filters 222 edit.JPG backyard edit.JPG team edit.JPG al plate edit.JPG engine done edit.JPG new bars edit.JPG rear idlers edit 2.JPG

Last edited:
R

raggededge

Aug 18, 2008
with the cooler by a piece of U cooler material and have welded in the back were the black hose is and run the front one too. I owned and rode one of these for a year with a 800 in it. Talk to spank he could weld that up for you he has done it before.

hudini

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston area
My chassis came with the cooler modified. The guy made it into a ucooler and I will sell it to you if you are interested. I took it out and used my Edge Ucooler that Holz built, so I have the stock/modified one laying around. Let me know if you want some pictures cause I have no use for it anymore.

later

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Well yesterday I had a professional welder weld in my new brace. I had a different design in mind but he did this instead because he thought it would be stronger and easier. If you’re wondering about the slop welding its because he made the welds very large so I could grind them down.

Hear is a few pics form Sunday. I am going in to town to work on it gain tonight and hopefully I will be able to pull the cord tonight!

I need to thank Sperano’s Welding Shop and Joe Sperano Sr. For all the help. He is a great guy and to anyone who is looking to get some welding or mechanical work done, look no farther than this guy. He is honest of what he can and can’t do and if he can’t help you he knows who can. He will be helping me build my tunnel extension son as well as a skid plate and a few other things.

If anyone needs work done, just pm!

Ps. Also, does anyone have any custom airbox pics? I am looking for ideas. Thanks!

Last edited:
C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Sure i can repost the pics. I am going outside right now and adding a few things. Give me 30 mins please! :beer;:D:beer;

Ok.... So it took a bit longer than 30 min but i hope you still need them. These are some pics i took on Christmas day.

Stuff left to do in order.
1. New secondary
2. Put on my BOC clutch kit
3. install Muff pot
4. install new recoiler
5. new rails
6. get 151" track on it
7. finish my tunnel extension
8. make ice scratchers
9. get new seat
10. drop and roll kit????
11. Nitrous