• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Badass 2002 Mountain Cat 800 EFI "The Nasty Frog"

C
Oct 19, 2013
Kamloops BC
Before i start I'm just going to say YOU ARE NOT forced to read my ramblings if you don't want to, everything is in picture form too, I'll do my best to keep it in order.

Hey all, I'm gonna start by introducing myself as a simple two-stroke mechanic from Kamloops B.C. Currently working under the watchful eyes of Robin and Kristopher Reeb, getting more than my fair share of guidance and help along the way. So, the place of business is Badass performance, a small performance division of Robin's Marine Service. We now have a few sleds in the stable that are capable of more than what they were originally designed for, including a Cutler powered M7, a "1994" 790 BB zr 700, Monster Snopro 440 fan and a 2006 Summit X Piped with a holz skid and SLP jugs heads and pipe; Anyway, back to the point. Last season i got the chance to play around on the one we call "frankenstein" and somewhat unfortunately, fell in love. I decided that i had to build one, obviously it would take me quite some time to track down everything needed for such a project along with all the time to do such a thing. *Side note* the sled is in running order now i just was to busy working on her I just didn't have the time to write this up. Last summer we had a stroke of luck and managed to purchase a used snowmobile parts business, meaning most of the parts i needed were around. My eyes were caught by a green and black mountain cat and I knew at that moment I had found my sled, the project had officially begun.
IMG_1562.jpg
IMG_1564.jpg

As any reasonable project starts the sled was gutted, cleaned and stared upon for a few days as ideas flew around inside my head. Chats with co-workers, hours spent on the forums, ideas tossed around with customers interested in the contraption sitting in the middle of the shop. The plan started to fall together in my mind so off to work i went.

Every single piece pulled off when into one of two bins, Pieces to go back in, and unnecessary weight and clutter. Of course a few things got misplaced as with all projects, i also believe some may have got sold without my permission but after all we sell parts and all i had to do was go find a new one.
IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

First things first, drop and rolled chain case, no point building a mountain sled if you can't even fit a 2" track on it! "Borrowed" and idea from the frankenstein monster which had an ekholm tunnel and D&R in it where the jackshaft actually went through the inside of the tunnel, so away I went measuring clearances, distances for various critical items such as clutch centres and so on. Holes were drilled and beers were drank as we working into the late hours of the night. All in all the D&R was a fairly easy mod once we had a solid plan to go with, and we got that driveshaft as low as possible in the tunnel while still being able to bolt the chain case in.

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1719.jpg

Next on the list was the forward mount steering post, this is a simple mod, usually just involved flipping the post to the other side of the support and away you go, so thats what i did, but then i though how much further could i go forward and still be in a comfortable position? Some dry fits were done with the engine on the bench just to see what would work. What we found was there was a lot of room to move forward but that gas tank was just too wide and bulky up top to stay comfortable while way up there. Out to the yard we went, coming back with a few tank/seat options to try out, 06 rmk, 09 rmk and a m-series were the top three choices in my books. Again more dry fits and fiddling was done and the 09 polaris was the winner, the 06 didn't fit very well and the m-series was just a little bulky for my liking.

*There was also a little lexan reinforced race seat floating around i played with for a while*
IMG_1681.jpg
IMG_1684.jpg

Plastic was also fitted just to see if it would look okay still.
IMG_1722.jpg
IMG_1730.jpg
IMG_1731.jpg

Last edited:
C
Oct 19, 2013
Kamloops BC
The steering post, what a nightmare. I have no pictures of it being built as i was more than a little frustrated trying to make it work, all i can say is, well, it works!!!! Stops on the engine mount on the right side and in between the throttle bodies on the other.

IMG_1733.jpg

Obviously an new air box was required and with the polaris tank on it there wasn't much room to spare, so paper was used to mock it up, originally started to build it out of flat sheet aluminum, i got impatient and built one quick out of so abs piping from the local hardware store, doesn't look too good but don't worry, there'll be a shiny polished aluminum one in there for next season.
IMG_1735.jpg
IMG_1736.jpg
Meanwhile, a new steering support was needed so again back to the hardware store to buy some steel for a mock-up, decided to tie it in to the front to stiffen up the frame a little as well.

IMG_1737.jpg
IMG_1738.jpg
The hood fits!!
IMG_1739.jpg

As everyone knows as soon as you start making progress, the whole thing comes apart again!!
IMG_1743.jpg
IMG_1744.jpg
IMG_1745.jpg
IMG_1746.jpg

Back together it goes. (At this point i was getting real tired of pulling the engine out.)
IMG_1747.jpg
IMG_1748.jpg
IMG_1762.jpg

Next up was to remove the stock running boards because some custom tubers were going on, at the same time the bosses old Ekholm skid and 156x15x2.5 challenger track went in.
IMG_1763.jpg
IMG_1764.jpg
IMG_1765.jpg

Last edited:
C
Oct 19, 2013
Kamloops BC
Moving right along, running boards... also had to be custom built to fit everything that had been done haha. out came the measuring tape, ruler, band saw and welder.

Quite pleased with the turnout.
IMG_1766.jpg
IMG_1768.jpg
IMG_1769.jpg
IMG_1767.jpg

The other side went together way quicker and soon they got painted.
IMG_1778.jpg
IMG_1780.jpg
IMG_1783.jpg

Everything on it is in "Prototype" stage so it just got rattle canned for simplicity and time. BUT ANYWAY, Tech screws for traction!
IMG_1784.jpg

Don't want to fall down on these bad boys.

Got some stickers made up as the project was getting closer to being finished.
IMG_1775.jpg
IMG_1786.jpg
IMG_1787.jpg

Few issues we ran into along the way, the old cat fuel pumps run on more voltage and less amperage than the polaris pump, so the pumps were swapped from assemblies. Fuel regulator was removed from the assembly and an external Holley fuel regulator was used in place. Obviously we changed the clutching and gearing in it, climbs like a freight train and handles very well for a 12 year old sled. We also tried the walker evans air shocks on it, can't say i was a huge fan so we swapped em for a set off an 04 king cat with ti springs.

Had a dozen solid rides on the 800 but I think a 975 is gonna be in the works for next season, along with rebuilding all the bracing and boards with cromoly, a new steering post and everything is getting powder coated this time around!!

I'm Always looking for new ideas and criticism is also welcome so speak your mind and give me something new to build!

Some "secret" projects are also in the works that may or may not involve cromoly, a rev, an xp, and a yamaha. But don't get your hopes up, we gotta keep the customers happy first then we get to play!:face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Of course a few things got misplaced as with all projects, i also believe some may have got sold without my permission but after all we sell parts and all i had to do was go find a new one.

Welcome to my life! Hahaha

A friend of mine on here(Bearcat) had a very good thought on his own thread while building his latest sled. Shorten up the jackshaft, and move the motor inboard as far as possible. More centralized weight. And after thinking about it, something easy enough to do with the right tools(Something I know you have plenty of access to!)

And a thanks to Powdercrew, Jofi800, and Devilmanak for the inspiration for more forward steering than the usual forward post.

Here's an idea from Idcatman3 that him and Idcatman1 came up with. Updated recoil to use the larger M1000 housing. Makes it easier starting for when you make it a 975! (it's also their picture I use)

Can't wait to come home and squeeze the trigger on it!

starteradapter017.jpg

Last edited:

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Here's an idea from Idcatman3 that him and Idcatman1 came up with. Updated recoil to use the larger M1000 housing. Makes it easier starting for when you make it a 975! (it's also their picture I use)

Can't wait to come home and squeeze the trigger on it!

Newer style for the recoil adapter, uses studs to mount the new recoil. Much nicer than fiddling with the bolt right under the engine.

1200portingstarteradapter012.jpg

Sled looks awesome too!

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Hello Reeb and guys!

Wow, haven't seen this topic until now. Very nice job - that Poo seat/tank combination fits perfectly there :) The hole for fuel pump looks very closely same as used in Cat and SD Rev, did you try Cat fuel pump there? Nice to see there's still people playing with these old stuff. I need to do that recoil update too.

I probably should try to move my Project topic under this section too - but I don't know if it's possible.

Last edited:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Hey buddy! The boys did try the stock Cat pump but it runs on more voltage and less amps than the Polaris pump. Removed the stock regulator and replaced it w an external Holley fuel regulator.

As for the change in sections, just ask a Mod, they should be able to swap it over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features