• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

You think this guy is a scammer...

T
Nov 26, 2007
Prince George, BC
www.cap-it.com
FOund an 04 Rev 800 for sale on Trader.ca for $4400.00 with a Calgary phone number. Always rings busy so I emailed him for info. This is what I got back:

"Thank you for your e-mail and your interest in purchasing my sled. The sled is still available for $4,400.00 and there are no damages, scratches, never touched the ground, no hidden defects, it's in excellent condition including track and has 2,130 km, gas shocks, and a skid plate. The engine has never been repaired,runs and sounds awesome. It was always garage kept. Looks absolutely amazing, as you can see from the pictures. I just moved in United Kingdom with my work. I brought the sled here with me because I wanted to register it here, but with my work schedule I don't have the time to ride it. I am working over 16 h/day and because of this I am keeping the sledd in my garage for over a month. I decided to sell my sled, even this will be hard for me, as I really love it.
Vehicle available for pick-up or shipping. This snowmobile is available for inspection at any time here in UK. The total price of $4,400.00 includes the shipping and insurance of the sled and the delivery can take up to 4-5 business days.
You won't have to pay additional taxes, just the price for it.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Thank you in advance for your reply."

SO I'm thinking SCAMMER!!. He then sends me another email:
"Hi,
Yes, the machine is in the UK with me.
Regarding the exchange, I require for an half of money first. Payment has to be done via Western Union money transfer because this way money will be available in minutes and I can ship the sled in the same day. It will arrive at your place in maximum 4-5 business
days and it will be delivered right to your door, so you won't have to drive to pick it up. At the reception of the sled ,you won't be forced to accept it if the sled will not match with my description. Anyway, you'll have 5 days to inspect the snowmobile and during this
inspection period you'll have to decide if you are satisfied with it or not.
If for any reason you won't like it, you can return it to me and I will give you a full refund.
Please let me know how does this sound to you.
Regards"

Did I find a scammer??

D

dragon12

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
It's your money, but I would find someone I could see face to face before I buy anything like that. Too good to be true and you are dealing with other countries laws trying to get your money back from someone on the other side of the pond.

K

khaddon2110

Aug 17, 2006
Idaho
I like how in his ESL he says, "I just moved in United Kingdom with my work. I brought the sled here with me because I wanted to register it here, but with my work schedule I don't have the time to ride it."

Right...... I hear the riding is excellent in the UK:D

V
Nov 27, 2007
denver area
This absolutely screams scam! Don't even mess with the guy, even if you want to get to him, the police will tell you it's not worth their time.

I bet his brother runs the Nigerian lottery.

S
Nov 28, 2007
ITS A SCAM! cripes man I wouldnt even look at a sled in the UK if it was frickin free....why would he be selling it here if that was the case?

B

Bull

Jan 20, 2004
colorado
man, i think that guy should sell it in the UK. he could get a fortune for the ONLY sled in the country. he has the market cornered!!

R

RobG

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2003
Nowhere
Definitely a scam. Does it even snow enough there to ride one??? Besides, if he lived here, then moved to the UK, why is his English so bad? Sounds like Engrish to me. And the Western Union part is the key... every scam I've ever seen wants the money via WU.

No way in hell would I buy anything like that from overseas unless I had somebody there that I trusted (a friend, etc) that could take delivery for me.

Rob

T
Nov 26, 2007
Prince George, BC
www.cap-it.com
I've sent him and email with the following information:

"What part of London are you in? I have an old University chum living in London. We keep in touch regularly. I have spent some time in Europe. My wife’s parents are from the south of Italy. I’ll forward your address to him (his name is John W. Clarke…we call him “Knobby”). I think he’s out around Brent Cross. I’m not familiar with London but how big can it be. I could get him to pop over and have a look for me. If he likes what he sees, I’ll instruct him to pay for the entire purchase out of his own pocket and you can get it shipped. This would have to be better for you since you don’t have to wait for the other half of the money. You’ll get your money right away and Knobby knows that I’ll reimburse him."

Well the emails have all of a sudden stopped.

So I sent him this:

"Isn’t it amazing that the number that you have on Trader.ca is a fax machine. And isn’t it amazing that when someone introduces a little twist, like a local contact, the emails stop. Well, you’re f*%#ing with the wrong guy. I figured that I better email you now because in about 6 minutes from the time you opened this email you’ll be inundated with emails from every **** and pill site on the planet. The embedded 6 minute time frame is to allow you to come clean with me and I’ll “call off” the spam parade. If it goes longer than 6 minutes………………………………………
You’re done..

“You won't have to pay additional taxes, just the price for it.” This is called Tax Evasion. You’re screwing with the Government now. When you screw some dumb jerk out of his $2200.00 (Canadian….what a putz), the recourse is nothing. Screw the government and they get even. Simply email me and let me know that you’re caught f*^$ing around and the pill pushers and midget scat clown **** aficionados will leave you alone.

I’ll give you credit for being a little more “believable” with your rather “intelligent” vocabulary and English grammar. Most of you dick heads don’t get past the first 3 words."

I think I've heard the last of him.

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
dont do it bro!!!!!

its a scam-- if the dude realy wanted to sell it do you realy think he would go through the trouble of shipping it 8 thousand miles when he could just sell it there??/

Just say no man

T
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River AK
I've sent him and email with the following information:

"What part of London are you in? I have an old University chum living in London. We keep in touch regularly. I have spent some time in Europe. My wife’s parents are from the south of Italy. I’ll forward your address to him (his name is John W. Clarke…we call him “Knobby”). I think he’s out around Brent Cross. I’m not familiar with London but how big can it be. I could get him to pop over and have a look for me. If he likes what he sees, I’ll instruct him to pay for the entire purchase out of his own pocket and you can get it shipped. This would have to be better for you since you don’t have to wait for the other half of the money. You’ll get your money right away and Knobby knows that I’ll reimburse him."

Well the emails have all of a sudden stopped.

So I sent him this:

"Isn’t it amazing that the number that you have on Trader.ca is a fax machine. And isn’t it amazing that when someone introduces a little twist, like a local contact, the emails stop. Well, you’re f*%#ing with the wrong guy. I figured that I better email you now because in about 6 minutes from the time you opened this email you’ll be inundated with emails from every **** and pill site on the planet. The embedded 6 minute time frame is to allow you to come clean with me and I’ll “call off” the spam parade. If it goes longer than 6 minutes………………………………………
You’re done..

“You won't have to pay additional taxes, just the price for it.” This is called Tax Evasion. You’re screwing with the Government now. When you screw some dumb jerk out of his $2200.00 (Canadian….what a putz), the recourse is nothing. Screw the government and they get even. Simply email me and let me know that you’re caught f*^$ing around and the pill pushers and midget scat clown **** aficionados will leave you alone.

I’ll give you credit for being a little more “believable” with your rather “intelligent” vocabulary and English grammar. Most of you dick heads don’t get past the first 3 words."

I think I've heard the last of him.

thats awesome man. i love it when people mess with these thieving pos'.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
lol

I actually had one of those dickheads want to buy my 98 Vmax a few years back. He wanted me to ship it to England. I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but there's probably not a whole lot of riding in England and even if there was, why the hell would he want a bloody old Vmax for anyway??!!!!

The stupid mf'er even sent me a check and still wanted to go through with the deal. Being a bona fide member of the federal law enforcement community I sent the check off to a few people at the Secret Service who deal with the Nigerian scams.

I know someone who lost an Arabian horse in one of these scams. These guys are ruthless! If you haven't seen Chris Hansen's report on How to Catch an ID Thief, you need to watch it. It's actually pretty funny in some spots.

K

khaddon2110

Aug 17, 2006
Idaho
You should tell him your going to pay for the whole thing by cashiers check, however the check you have accidentally was made out for $2000 more than what he is asking. Tell him to cash the check and send the extra $2000 with the sled.

Maybe he'll recognize that response.

Premium Features