• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What ABS pack to buy?

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm looking at picking up a pack before my ride out west.

What should I look for in a pack? Cost isn't really a concern, I want something that works when I need it the most.

Thanks in advance.
Ian

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
The Vario is my vote for the Best ABS pack out there. The airbags are contained in the base unit and then you buy the size pack that you want. The pack zips onto the base unit and you can interchange packs based on the "occassion". If you are just going on a short day trip and only want a few items, you can have the Vario with the 15L pack. If you want more storage you can add the 30L or 50L pack.

We are currently out of stock of the Vario, but will hopefully have some again by the end of this week.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I tried to find it on your site, but don't see it listed anywhere?

Is there somewhere I can read about it and it's features?

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
Ya, it is not listed on our website as I don't currently have a way to list the item and not offer it for sale.

However, you can check out the manufacturer's website at:
http://www.abs-airbag.com/vario.php?chid=1268&lang=uk&sid=04fd8e3a5774cb333f97a8287ce0da31&m=17

and read about the Vario pack.
The Vario Base unit is $880, the 15L pack is $89.99, the 30L pack is $129.99. There is an $80 deposit required for the test canister, which is refunded once the test canister gets returned.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Excellent, that's what I was looking for. How long does it take to do the canister exchange stuff? Any problems sending that sort of thing over the border?

Thanks for the replies.

The new Vario units look great, very flexible to different applications with the different sized add on packs. Have you seen them in person? Does the second part of the pack attach only via a zipper? Or is there something else I'm not seeing on their website?

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
The second part or the pack part attaches to the base unit only with a zipper. The zipper is a "360 degree" zipper, meaning that it zips all the way around the entire pack to attach it to the base unit. I would take a picture of the actual zipper, but we are completely sold out for the time being. We have had them in stock previously and hope to have them in stock again soon.

The second part or the pack part attaches to the base unit only with a zipper. The zipper is a "360 degree" zipper, meaning that it zips all the way around the entire pack to attach it to the base unit. I would take a picture of the actual zipper, but we are completely sold out for the time being. We have had them in stock previously and hope to have them in stock again soon.

I'm sure they have tested this for durability. With the larger packs that can carry more weight, will this hold up to a lot of abuse (I'm interested in your impression)?

The reason I ask... Of the zippered packs that I have owned that failed, failed as a result of the zipper coming apart in one way or another.

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
I personally think the Vario will hold up to abuse. The zipper on the Vario that holds the pack onto the base unit is a "more heavy duty" zipper than on the other ABS packs. We have had a couple returns this year of escape freerides because of zipper problems, but we haven't had any returns on the Vario pack. Hope that helps.

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
The vario is definitely a great pack.

As soon as I get them in stock (or get a delivery confirmation number of when we'll have them in stock) I will post it up. Right now they are over 1 week late; I've been trying to get in touch with the distributor but haven't had any luck.

R

richyrich

Nov 26, 2007
Mt Baker
I run the ABS 30, and I really like it. It may be a tad bit on the big size, the 15 would probably work perfect. I looked at the Avario and I think if money is not an issue go for it. But money usually is an issue for everyone at some point, I just didnt think I would really use multiple pack sizes and I was right. The more I carry my ABS, the more I enjoy it.

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
I talked to the distributor again today. He said they are shipping out of Germany today. Hopefully I'll have them by Monday. I really apologize for the delay - but I am doing everything possible to get them here as soon as possible.

Last edited:

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
Better late than never?

My apologies for the delay, but we finally have ABS packs and canisters in stock again.

But we also have a dilemma......right now the canisters are only available for local pickup. We are located in Mt. Pleasant, UT and also have stock in the Denver, CO area.

Please call us with any questions you may have 1-877-SNOW-BIG or you can shoot me a PM.

Premium Features