• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to carry fuel with Sled Deck???

W

wsellars

Feb 19, 2008
Pullman Wa
Besides 5 gallon jugs what are some things that have been done?
My idea is to build two tanks out of aluminum and attatch them on both sides between the bed rails and the main frame of the deck in the bed, and use a gravity feed system. They would be roughly 20 gallons a piece, That way I could carry race gas in one and non-ethanol fuel in the other because it is harder to find while traveling. Open to suggestions and other Ideas, I want to still be able to use the bed to carry things and not have a bunch of jugs moving around.

W

wsellars

Feb 19, 2008
Pullman Wa
Was thinking about two tanks where the red is. They would be 26 gallons a piece at 45" long.
sleddeck2.jpg

W

wsellars

Feb 19, 2008
Pullman Wa
Have since found a couple 15 gallon tanks laying around the farm that I will use. Free is way cheaper than buying a sheet of Aluminum or Stainless. Not too worried about the weight, Truck is rated for 2400 lb vertical load, also has air bags to level it out.

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
i think 2400 pounds might be closer than you think. 2 sleds at 600 pounds each (full of fuel + tank bag etc), deck 350 pounds, gear 150 pounds, 30 gallons fuel 300 pounds, two passengers 400 pounds, tools, lunch, booste cables etc 50 pound total is 2450 without the fuel in your tank.

It can add up pretty quick to an overload with these decks.

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
Albeta sometimes Saskatchewan
My buddy is a welder he is building me an aluminum tank L-52"byW-36"byH-9" for under my slip tank it will hold around 307L. I am putting Diesel in it, i get free diesel through work so it is a free ride to the mountains!!:face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features