• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best GPS-most user friendly?

Mr. Pump Gas

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
What is a good GPS that is easy to use on a sled? I have a Zumo 350LM I run on my motorcycle that is all-weather and I figured would work well, however wondering what people like on their sleds.

Thanks in advance

xcmark

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mass-hole
What is a good GPS that is easy to use on a sled? I have a Zumo 350LM I run on my motorcycle that is all-weather and I figured would work well, however wondering what people like on their sleds.

Thanks in advance

I have a Montana on mine with a Tour a tech.com locking powered mount. I wanted a hand held unit that had to have a battery charging mount and a lithium batter so the cold didn't effect it. All other forms of rechargeable batteries go dead fast if they don't have power to them in extreme cold. I like Garmin products and the Base Camp software is easy to use and load maps and down load tracks.

Edit: The Montana with a external powered mount keeps the GPS at full battery power , in the event I have to walk out of the woods the Montana has about a 8~ 12 hour battery life . I also have city road maps that I turn off when trail riding , by having road maps I feel this is a better way to walk out of the woods to find help. I am sure most GPS are able to do this but it is a piece of mind .

Last edited:

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I like Garmin as well. Good sensitivity and tracks even in heavily treed areas. I have a Garmin GPSMap 60CSX. Good battery life as well.

SnowBaller

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Grand Forks, ND
If you don't want to buy a traditional GPS there are options if you have a smartphone.

I use an app called "BackCountry Navigator" that works extremely well. $10 app that allows me to use my phone as a GPS unit. Make tracks, waypoints, import/export maps, ect. Save maps and tracks to different "trip" packages. Comes pre-loaded with many different types of maps, including topo maps.

When using for the back country all I have to do is download the map area prior to my trip. This saves it to my phone so I'm not relying on any data or network signal. Turn on GPS and Airplane Mode (Airplane mode on so is it not searching for a network signal when there isn't any). As long as I have a clear view of the sky, for the GPS signal, the app will tack me all day long. I find a touch screen much more user friendly compared to most other GPS's. Does everything a traditional GPS will for a fraction of the cost.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I have been x-country dirt biking, and snowmobiling with bar mounted GPS for a few years, here's some highlights of my experience.

My current GPS is a Magellan Exploris 510 handheld, and I love it!
I bar mount it, and have great success using lithium batts, or rechargables in the cold.
A great feature of the Magellan, is "active suspending". Basically, when you suspend the unit, it shuts down the screen but continues to locate and lay tracks with much less battery usage.
It also can be externally powered through an optional water resistant usb cable.

-I have used several different Garmin's and had lots of problems with the batteries momentarily disconnecting causing powerdown, and screen freeze. I would not recommend any mid to lower end Garmin that uses AA batteries.

-The Rhino units from Garmin, are certainly another breed and work very well, especially being able to see your riding partners on your map..... but I could NEVER convince any of my partners to buy such an expensive unit. This meant spending alot of money on features I do not use, not for me.

-Almost any GPS will work with Garmin software, so this doesn't need to be a deciding factor at all.

-Smartphone app GPS work great but depending on your phone battery can lead to trouble. Most GPS units, even those that use internal batts can accept AA, or AAA batts to keep you tracking when s*** hits the fan in the back-country.

I prefer hand held units that:
-can be bar mounted
-quickly removed to carry by hand or in pocket
-uses replaceable batts (quick change on the trail)
-has the capability of external 12v power supply

sledneck322

Premium Member
Sep 26, 2013
ADK's
Garmin Oregon 450T, RAM bar mount, Sanyo, Enelope rechargeable battaries, Polaris 12v adaptor zip tied underneath the hood, Garmin 12v car charger cable routed up to bars. Bomber setup and have no complaints. I use my Garmin Oregon for dirt biking, hiking, and hunting.

friscospices.com

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Nebraska
www.friscospices.com
Rhino by Garmin. You need to be sure the back light is god enough. The other Garmin products seem to have a poor back lighting system. And when your using it in the snow on a sunny day the GPS is about unreadable unless you park in the green timber. I have had the Colorado, Oregon, a couple different lowrance units and I have frount that the Rhino 530, 650 are both a great choice. 2 way radio with your buddies location updated on your screen when you call each other. Great for finding someone who may be stuck or having a problem. The best pricing and a full line of mounts I have found is GPS City out of LasVegas. Plus most everything is in stock super fast customer service and tons of options for mounts etc.

S

snelson

Feb 12, 2011
Eagle River AK
The Garmin RINO is a great choice. I bought a 120 for hunting and was so impressed that I bought the 655t later. The ability to find others in your group is unmatched. One of my riding buddies broke an A-Arm in the tree's, If not for us having RINO's I would never have found him. Also the ability to voice communicate doesn't hurt either.

Randman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2010
Billings, MT
I use Locus Pro on an android (Samsung) Phone. Put the phone in airplane mode and the $10.00 app works strictly off of stored maps and GPS without using much battery. The bonus for me is that the smart phone screen is big (Don't need my glasses) and easy to read, you can mark the honey holes that you find, and it shows every where you went so you can get back out. Really nice app!

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
I have been using the garmin rhino for a few years now. The ability to see on the display, where your buddy is, is awesome. Radio function is a must in the bush. With the topo maps, you can read the lay of the land(elevation) And now they come with cameras. What else do you need?

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
I like the ideas about the smartphone apps. Might have to research further

M

maxitout77

Nov 21, 2010
Vermont
If you don't want to buy a traditional GPS there are options if you have a smartphone.

I use an app called "BackCountry Navigator" that works extremely well. $10 app that allows me to use my phone as a GPS unit. Make tracks, waypoints, import/export maps, ect. Save maps and tracks to different "trip" packages. Comes pre-loaded with many different types of maps, including topo maps.

When using for the back country all I have to do is download the map area prior to my trip. This saves it to my phone so I'm not relying on any data or network signal. Turn on GPS and Airplane Mode (Airplane mode on so is it not searching for a network signal when there isn't any). As long as I have a clear view of the sky, for the GPS signal, the app will tack me all day long. I find a touch screen much more user friendly compared to most other GPS's. Does everything a traditional GPS will for a fraction of the cost.

I second this! Ive had this app for almost 2 years. Easy to use, very functional. And at only $10 you have little to loose

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Rhino 650 here aswell.

I like the phone app option.

The 2way radio of the rhino and locating friends is invaluable though.

(Hint for you canadians, buy an american rhino if you can-more power/range).

Premium Features