• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Greenies Sueing USFS (and other greenies)

D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA
Good to see the litter fighting amongst themselves, while the comments at the end show how ignorant so many greenies are of the wilderness act and what IT SAYS about things like this

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20110115/NEWS01/701159925

Environmental group sues over Green Mountain wilderness lookout

The lookout, which replaced one built in the 1930s, is used for wilderness management and as a rest stop for hikers.

By Gale Fiege, Herald Writer

advertisement | your ad here

DARRINGTON — A Montana-based watchdog group is suing the U.S. Forest Service and Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest Supervisor Rob Iwamoto.

Wilderness Watch alleges that, under Iwamoto's direction, the Forest Service violated the federal Wilderness Act and National Environmental Policy Act when it built a new lookout atop Green Mountain in the Glacier Peak Wilderness Area east of Darrington.

The lawsuit has angered regional hiking groups whose members have helped maintain mountain lookouts throughout northwest Washington.

The new $50,000 lookout, which incorporated much of the original lookout's materials, has been a destination for hikers for decades and is used for wilderness management. It replaced an old fire lookout built in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps.

Wilderness Watch executive director George Nickas contends that the federal law doesn't provide for construction in the wilderness except for use in managing the area. The use of a helicopter and power tools in construction also violated the act, Nickas said.

In addition, the suit says that environmental policy was violated because the Forest Service did not prepare an analysis of the effects of constructing a new lookout.

Wilderness Watch wants the Forest Service to take down the new lookout at Green Mountain and pay the watchdog group attorney fees and its costs.

Back-country hiker and Everett Mountaineers Club member Arthur Wright believes the lawsuit is “a travesty.”

“The suit is a way for Wilderness Watch to raise money. I have helped forest crews work on trails and maintain lookouts. I would trust the forest professionals who live and work here much more than I ever would somebody in an office in Missoula,” said Wright of Lynnwood. “The new building looks substantially like the old one. There is history there at Green Mountain.”

Longtime Glacier Peak Wilderness volunteers Mike and Ruth Hardy of south King County believe the suit threatens the work of those trying to preserve the history of the old fire lookouts. Scott Morris, a member of the Darrington Historical Society, agrees, noting that lookouts are among the historical icons of the region.

“I am an advocate of the wilderness and know it perhaps better than most. I could sympathize with Wilderness Watch if every mountain in the Glacier Peak Wilderness were somehow threatened,” Morris said. “The purist zealotry of this group is going to harm appreciation of the wilderness. Shall we not walk in the wilderness anymore?”

“If this is the biggest threat to the Glacier Peak Wilderness, we're doing OK,” Morris said.

Forest Service personnel say they are not allowed to talk about the lawsuit.

Darrington Ranger District wilderness and trails coordinator Gary Paull said the Green Mountain Lookout is used by paid staff and volunteers to manage the wilderness and make sure that no one is committing violations of the wilderness act. While the lookout has not been used for fire detection since the late 1980s, volunteers often are able to report lightning strikes from the lookout and help cut down on aerial fire detection above Glacier, Paull said.

Green Mountain has been a radio-relay position for restoration crews working to repair trails in the national forest. It also has played a recreation function, as a place for hikers to stop.

The lookout is on the west side of the 573,00-acre Glacier Peak Wilderness.

The old lookout was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987 and, as it began to fall apart and come off its foundation, restoration efforts followed. Record snowfall in 2002 and major flooding in 2003 slowed down restoration efforts. In 2009, with the help of a state recreation grant, the Forest Service rebuilt the lookout.

When the Forest Service got complaints about helicopters flying in supplies to the mountain top, pack horses were used. But because many of the trails leading to the lookout were not restored to handle horses, two of the animals were injured and had to be shot.

“The helicopters impacted the wilderness less than the horses,” said Wright, the Lynnwood hiker.

At his Missoula office, Nickas said the lawsuit is simply a matter of protecting the integrity of the wilderness system.

“It's supposed to be free of structures, free of motor vehicle use. The (lookout) is either legal or it's not. For people to say it's OK is the same as saying the wilderness should be open to off-road vehicles,” Nickas said. “Everybody wants it their way. The hikers don't want the loggers or the miners or the off-road vehicle folks. You can't expect your pet use to be OK, when the Wilderness Act is designed for us to step back and let it truly be a wild place. Without it, future generations won't know what wilderness is.”

The Wilderness Watch is being represented in federal court in Seattle by attorney Peter Frost of the Western Environmental Law Center of Eugene, Ore. Brian Kipnis in Seattle is the federal Department of Justice lawyer on the case.

On the Web

S
Nov 26, 2007
Everett, Wa.
It's only a matter of time

We just need to wait for them to eat themselves into oblivion. Swampy

Granola Is NOT Good For You!
By Mr. David Laing on 01/14/2011
The word "Granola" has become almost synonymous with healthful nutrition. Granola is one of the sacred cows of the health food culture and industry.
But what is Granola, anyway?
Answer: Granola is carbohydrate cooked in fat.
According to Dr. Henry G. Bieler, physician to Anthony Quinn, Greta Garbo, Lucille Ball, and many other Hollywood celebrities, and author of the bestselling health food book Food Is Your Best Medicine, when carbohydrates are cooked in fat or oil, chemical reactions take place that produce indigestible molecules that the human digestive, endocrine, and eliminatory systems simply can't handle. Consequently, these indigestible molecules build up in the body and cause various sorts of systemic toxemia.
The purest example of this principle is Olestra, a commercial fat substitute produced by heating together sugar (a carbohydrate) and vegetable oil (a fat) until a molecule is formed that is too large and ungainly-shaped to be absorbed by the human digestive system. Originally touted as a wonder additive to such high-fat foods as potato chips that would yield the same culinary sensation as oil but would add no calories to the diet, Olestra was soon found to have a number of undesirable side effects, including abdominal cramping and diarrhea. Furthermore, it readily absorbed fat-soluble vitamins from foods and simply flushed them out of the body before they could be assimilated. Another unwelcome side effect was steatorrhea, the accumulation of through-passing Olestra in the stool, which resulted in anal leakage. Yuck!
Dr. Bieler's long list of offending foods containing carbohydrates cooked in fat, compiled before Granola and Olestra hit the market, includes donuts, French fries, potato chips, cookies, cake, and even bread that contains shortening. None of these has molecules as wholly indigestible as Olestra, and that in and of itself is a potential issue, as the molecules in such foods are partially digestible, passing through the intestinal lining but not being fully assimilated thereafter. It is, in Bieler's opinion, these partially digestible, "weird" molecules that lodge themselves irremovably in our systems and thus accumulate over time that give rise to increasing systemic toxemia and consequent ill health, ranging from susceptibility to colds to cancer and cardiovascular disease.
Granola, with its high carbohydrate and oil content, would have been high on Bieler's list had it been on the market at the time he published it.
But isn't Granola made with "good," unrefined, monounsaturated oils, like olive and canola? Usually, yes, it is, but the fact is, that doesn't matter! What does matter is that those "good" oils have been heated with carbohydrate until the qualities that make them good have been neutralized by the chemical reactions that take place during the cooking process!
So, what to do? My own solution, aside from avoiding Granola and most other products containing carbohydrates cooked in fat (or oil), is to enjoy those "good" oils in culinary concoctions that don't involve cooking them with carbohydrate. Among my favorites is air-popped popcorn sprayed with olive oil from a garden spray bottle and seasoned to taste with sea salt. Warning: This concoction is fattening, so enjoy it in moderation!
Do I pontificate with authority? Well, at age seventy, having followed the Bieler diet with moderate faithfulness for 44 years, I seem to be doing pretty well. I just single-handed my 38-foot ketch from Florida to Maine last spring, I'm enjoying free geezer skiing at my local Maine ski area, and at my last physical exam, my doctor looked at me gravely and said, "I have bad news for your wife. She's going to have to put up with you for a very long time to come!"

Premium Features