• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What to look for. No start '14 m8000

W
Jan 17, 2011
Sedro Woolley, Wa
Cats have open ignition systems just unplug it. If you have spark the key isn't the issue

That would explain that. For some reason i thought it was just like a car but knew better. Oh well worth a shot

I believe key is like kill switch. Open run/ closed off.

Have u tried starting fluid?

No starting fluid yet i will probably pick some up today and try. Im leaning towards an ecu problem as i took the plugs out and they were dry but i will check again today and see when i have more time.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Call

If you drained fuel .

They are a bugger to start .

If its not flooded I hook 12 volts up to pump and make sure it is getting fuel. Or you can just unhook from fuel rail. pull rope and see if it is . If there is no pressure in line then sure its not.

C
Feb 5, 2010
Norway
Have you unplugged the main cable you unplug to take hood of? Do that and see if she fires up.
If she does, the problem are most likely up against your handlebars :)

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I would do as MMsports suggests.
Loosen fuel line at rail then pull over or use battery.
You might also want to reverse polarity on pump and run backwards in case something in stuck in the pump.
I've had this sort of problem in the past so now I always carry a 9 volt battery with some short jumper wires.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W
Jan 17, 2011
Sedro Woolley, Wa
If you drained fuel .

They are a bugger to start .

If its not flooded I hook 12 volts up to pump and make sure it is getting fuel. Or you can just unhook from fuel rail. pull rope and see if it is . If there is no pressure in line then sure its not.

Yes i drained all the fuel.

I would do as MMsports suggests.
Loosen fuel line at rail then pull over or use battery.
You might also want to reverse polarity on pump and run backwards in case something in stuck in the pump.
I've had this sort of problem in the past so now I always carry a 9 volt battery with some short jumper wires.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When i drained the tank and refilled it i ran the pump to push fuel through just havent tried it with the fuel line connected and pulling it over.

Have you unplugged the main cable you unplug to take hood of? Do that and see if she fires up.
If she does, the problem are most likely up against your handlebars :)

Havent tried that will do anything at the moment.

B
Oct 13, 2012
S.E. SK
Mine wouldn't start after 200 pulls this spring. Troubleshooted everything, ended up being the throttle cable. quick adjustment and it fired right up.

It can be a headache getting a dead sled down to the dealer; hope you find the problem..

W
Jan 17, 2011
Sedro Woolley, Wa
So at this rate im better off taking it to my dealer. Hopefully i will be able to load it tomorrow after work and take it up there.

Ive checked everything everyone has suggested. Fuel pump pumps and ends up coming back through the return line into the tank. THere is spark. All switches test good fuel pump gets power when pulled over. All electrical connections are good or appear to be good same with fuses. Put fuel in the cylinders and still nothing. The only thing i seem to think is that the injectors are not firing as everytime i take the spark plugs out they are dry and they are brand new. Unless i am missing something obvious or have a huge air pocket in the fuel system or i am being a complete va jj. :face-icon-small-win

Either way i still cant get it and with the wife working nights and having to watch the boy its hard to get out and work on it continuously.

So its off to the dealer. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. I will report back on what the findings are. :noidea:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I would run the fuel pump in reverse first, if the smart valves are stuck then running it backward will push them out. Just to make sure.

Then, try starting fluid to at least get it to fire. With the hood off, hold the throttle open and give it a quick shot, pull 4-5 times, give it a little more of a shot. usually with starting fluid it will hit fast if you hold the throttle while pulling.

you can also put a test light across the injectors and see it flash.

With spark though, starting fluid should fire it, at that point you know its a fuel issue.

If there is a mouse nest in the exhaust it wont want to fire either, saw that once.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
may want to pull an injector hook it up and see if it sprays, there is also a filter on the top of the injector that can get plugged.
Careful pulling injector the screws are in tight, make sure you use the right bit and maybe even some heat. I bought a bit just for that and use a good ratchet to get enough pressure on it.

W
Jan 17, 2011
Sedro Woolley, Wa
may want to pull an injector hook it up and see if it sprays, there is also a filter on the top of the injector that can get plugged.
Careful pulling injector the screws are in tight, make sure you use the right bit and maybe even some heat. I bought a bit just for that and use a good ratchet to get enough pressure on it.

If I have to go that far to test I will just take it to the dealer as it is still under warranty or should be. :noidea: I dont want to jeopardize that untill I know if its covered or not.

I would run the fuel pump in reverse first, if the smart valves are stuck then running it backward will push them out. Just to make sure.

Then, try starting fluid to at least get it to fire. With the hood off, hold the throttle open and give it a quick shot, pull 4-5 times, give it a little more of a shot. usually with starting fluid it will hit fast if you hold the throttle while pulling.

you can also put a test light across the injectors and see it flash.

With spark though, starting fluid should fire it, at that point you know its a fuel issue.

If there is a mouse nest in the exhaust it wont want to fire either, saw that once.

I will test to see if the injectors are getting power tonight possibly depends on time but since I wont be home till 4 ish and the dealer closes at 6 and is 30 min away I need to load it so maybe on friday or Saturday they can look at it first thing depending on how much work they have going on.

Thanks again for the suggestions if it wasnt for it being under warranty I would test farther than I have as you suggested.

T
Apr 21, 2011
Michigan
just had same problem! had spark, fuel pump worked ( took off line at throttle bodies & pulled it over & gas pumped out ) some times it would start and quit right away, then quit and wouldn't fire. found one of the wire conectors wasn't snapped together ( looked like it was but wasn't ) unplugged all the connectors and plugged them back together ( made sure they clicked and were connected ) starts and runs now! It was one of the connectors in the clump of wires above the recoil under the velcrow wrap. It must open and close the injectors.

U
Nov 12, 2011
The injectors are probably stuck from our high quality gas we have. unplug the injector wire and hit jump the injector with a battery a few times problem solved we have seen this alot,

W
Jan 17, 2011
Sedro Woolley, Wa
just had same problem! had spark, fuel pump worked ( took off line at throttle bodies & pulled it over & gas pumped out ) some times it would start and quit right away, then quit and wouldn't fire. found one of the wire conectors wasn't snapped together ( looked like it was but wasn't ) unplugged all the connectors and plugged them back together ( made sure they clicked and were connected ) starts and runs now! It was one of the connectors in the clump of wires above the recoil under the velcrow wrap. It must open and close the injectors.

I checked this today and all connectors were clipped in and tight.

The injectors are probably stuck from our high quality gas we have. unplug the injector wire and hit jump the injector with a battery a few times problem solved we have seen this alot,

To me as of now this seems to be the problem but am just speculating what it may be since all the tests i performed lean this way and that there is no fuel residue on the plugs even after pulling so many times.

Again i thank everyone for the suggestions but it is at the dealer now and should know something soon. I will report back on what they find.

Premium Features