• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Light weight battery

M

Mlosey131

Sep 28, 2011
How much does the light weight battery save? How much $ are they and where do you get them?

B
Dec 5, 2010
Ytz10s is the only battery I will recommend or run in alaska.
I've had or tried all the rest and have always been let down, especially when cold.
It's a common yamaha battery, saves 8lbs,works great in all conditions and only about 150$. I Use them in all my sleds and 4 years now in my nypex, zero issues. Just my .02

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
I've had or tried all the rest and have always been let down, especially when cold.
It's a common yamaha battery, saves 8lbs,works great in all conditions and only about 150$. I Use them in all my sleds and 4 years now in my nypex, zero issues. Just my .02

Couldn't agree more, when it's colder then -10° C / 14° F and the sled has been outside during night i have to warm it up 10 - 15 times (at least) Before sled starts, this with every LiFePo4 battery i tried because it's the Chemistry in them that works that way, i suspect i have to change starter soon.
So i have no idea how some say they work in Cold weather.

I use an Speedcell LiFePo4 battery in my Nypex because it have Quick connectors so it's easy to bring inside when it's Cold outside.
In the Viper i use an Ytz10s that works regardless of temperature outside.

Last edited:
M

Mlosey131

Sep 28, 2011
Thanks guys I really appreciate it as I'm from montana and its not unusual to ride in sub zero temps. I wanna save weight but no sacrifice a days riding cause of a crappy battery. 8 pounds is still a lot of weight.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT

Do you have to make a different hold down bracket for the shorter YTZ battery?

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
I've used Antigravity and Ballistic for 3 years on the 1100's. Pretty common to be -12 to -18C early morning starts where we ride. I have started them at -25C although we rarely ride that cold up here. I've never had an issue with the 12 cell but if guys regularly are starting at -20C then I recommend the 16 cell for only .5 lbs more. Colder it is the more warming cycles it needs. If you are concerned about running the starter to create draw then lots have hooked up a circuit, like handle bar warmers on a toggle, to make a load for the battery.

Hard to beat the bang for your buck on weight loss with a battery.

B
Dec 5, 2010
I've only ran the yuasa in a ytz10 and its a gel.

Awesome battery and worth every penny. 1 blown rude do to battery is unacceptable for me so I'll stick to yuasa

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
this is the gel one

I would stick to known brands people use. There are grades of cells and like anything you get what you pay for. Other companies aren't selling batteries for $150-$300 and they cost the same to manufacture as the one that is $30.

I have personally used Antigravity, Ballistic, and the Evolution Powersports batteries with very good performance. I have to assume that the Speedcell batteries are also top notch with their features and company pedigree.

I also ride with other 4s and while I have never had to get a boost I have boosted others for various issues. I have also rope started an 1100 for a full day when no one had cables and the charging system wasn't doing its job so battery was useless. For the amount of weight it saves every time you ride we are just prepared (most of the time lol) for the off chance you have to deal with it.

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
Thanks guys I really appreciate it as I'm from montana and its not unusual to ride in sub zero temps. I wanna save weight but no sacrifice a days riding cause of a crappy battery. 8 pounds is still a lot of weight.

I run the heavy duty Shorai. It's about the same size as the ytz, except it only weighs 1.4 pounds versus 4. The trick with these is getting used to the starting procedure. The battery actually needs to wake up so to speak. In 3 seasons it has not let me down.......yet! You must keep it maintained though, or they will crap out over the summer.

As for cold temps...... it gets down to minus 40 here sometimes overnight and I have not seen any battery that's wants to work well in that. My Shorai has worked in -25 where I have seen ****ty stock nytro batteries not. Since the the Shorai are so small and light at 1.4 pounds, I have actually considered carrying 2!...... Just a thought!

By the way they are $ 200+

Premium Features