• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cr500 Stator Requests

What do you want you stator to run?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I found a company that might make a stator for the cr500 if I can get some interest.... How much power are you guys needing? What are you going to be running with it? Heated grips and lights? Anything more?

D

Dband212

Sep 17, 2013
Northern utah
I'm mostly after some serious lights on my bikes. I just picked up a kx 500 to run for this year in the snow and if it pans out and I really like it I'd be looking for a little extra power. I'm pretty sure Mtn-doo had a higher output stator on his monster kx500af build. It was a Penton performance ignition and lighting stator looking at his parts list. Anyone have any experience with that inhibition/ stator?

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
The Penton is weak at best. CR and KX stator different. Thats a downside to the KX. CR has a few decent options. Eline is by far the best. Nothing compares. If you can find a CR500E stator that is the same thing. Its the one Eline copied ha ha.

I
Dec 5, 2007
I was considering the Powerdynamo ignition for my KX500, thought it sounded like a good option. I would like to hear more about what is weak about it? Doesn't seem to be too many other options available...

K

KMS

Dec 1, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
www.kmsperformance.com
Lol. I just saw another eline go for $950 US ! Wish i had a truck load of them.

Does anyone have information on this stator setup?

I imagine it came with a new oversized flywheel, stator plate, stator on an oversized core, and maybe a stator cover spacer plate.

I would really like to know the output (claimed and real world output, many times they are very different). Is (was) the system AC or DC ouput? Any pictures would be awesome if someone has them.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I'd be in for some more power but as it stands now I don't think I need 200W on the snow bike. I don't run heated grips and the new LED lighting is pretty cheap on power. If I could find a 100W stator or lighting coil that didn't cost 500+ bucks I'd be all over it.

M5

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
Service Honda?

Any reason no one has mentioned the Service Honda digital ignition that puts out 100-130 Watts? For $540 you get a higher rated stator as well as a digital ignition.
https://www.servicehonda.com/cr500-ignition-and-light-coil

I specifically bought my CR500 because someone had already paid the entry fee. I just had to convert to DC.

Oh, and my "other" vote is for KTMs carb heater (~20 Watts?) and a direct plug for my GPS.

Kell

M
Jan 14, 2004
I think the KTM carb heater is actually 35 watts, I have one here someplace but its kind of a joke, they really don't cut it. As for the SH ignition they have the reputation for melting down.

M5

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I have not heard good things about the service honda one with reliability and they are much harder to start..... I have heard this from about 5 different people I have talked to but have not had any person experience... Also the digital part wise I don't know if that is a big deal on a snow bike application with the better mapping....

Any reason no one has mentioned the Service Honda digital ignition that puts out 100-130 Watts? For $540 you get a higher rated stator as well as a digital ignition.
https://www.servicehonda.com/cr500-ignition-and-light-coil

I specifically bought my CR500 because someone had already paid the entry fee. I just had to convert to DC.

Oh, and my "other" vote is for KTMs carb heater (~20 Watts?) and a direct plug for my GPS.

Kell

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
I think the KTM carb heater is actually 35 watts, I have one here someplace but its kind of a joke, they really don't cut it. As for the SH ignition they have the reputation for melting down.

M5

Agreed, just bench testing the carb heater it was a little disappointing. Maybe with a good shield from the snow it will work...

Can you supply more details on what fails on the Service Honda ignition? Knowing the common failure mode would be nice so I can throw the stock parts and instructions in the truck just in case.

Kell

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Everyone tells me it just stops working.... And we are talking within a years time... I have never asked specifically what is failing... I know summitboy on here has ran across this maybe he would know more specifically then myself...

Agreed, just bench testing the carb heater it was a little disappointing. Maybe with a good shield from the snow it will work...

Can you supply more details on what fails on the Service Honda ignition? Knowing the common failure mode would be nice so I can throw the stock parts and instructions in the truck just in case.

Kell

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I know an electric motor rebuild shop that might be able to do these. How many people here would want theirs rewound?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
It's not a matter of being rewound it is being able to push more watts... for me I would like to run hand warmers and lights

M
Jan 14, 2004

Kell

I was riding with Summitboy last season when his quit. If I remember correctly the ignition was still working and the bike ran but the stator quit after the guts melted and there was no power. I'm sure he will chime in here.

M5

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
i dont think those ktm carb heaters do anything. need way more heat. gotta use coolant. dont need electrons for that. pretty simple, just get some small flexible line and a small valve. wrap line around your carb and done. works great. the little carb heater valves off an XP ski-doo work great. T in right out of your head and T back in right before the water pump.

Dont need much power for lights really. Piaa makes some direct replacement bulbs for H3's ect that cut the draw way down on a std headlight setup.

so far my service kawi stator hasnt given up. i think its about 70w or so. i run lights, egt

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Eline

The KTM heater is 20 watts. Doesn't work. The Service Honda is a pile of junk. The stator burnt up on me within a couple weeks. The stator melted and the windings unraveled. The ignition seemed to work fine but the rabbit kick is a dumb idea and a pain in the ***. Especially when you are starting a 500 cold.

The Honda/Eline/Baja Designs is a true 200 watt external stator. Like i said Honda made this part oem in 2001 for the Australian CR500E. Then Eline copied it with a fancy machined cover. You bolt another smaller flywheel to the stocker. The left case cover is a little wider than a stock piece. The Eline consists of two separate 100watt windings. The windings are super thick, not like this new gen stuff with the thin wire in it. I notice no power loss with this stator. So you have the stock Honda stator for the ignition and the Eline for all your goodies. The Eline is the bomb.

The Eline was 439.00 US back in 2004. Now to find one less than 1000 is pretty tough. I know of 3 Elines for sale. 2 of them are brand new ! To make a stator like this now would cost upwards of 700 bucks, not cheap. I bought mine for 650.00 bucks last year !

2ir6nvb.jpg

2vhzr74.jpg

2h5nuhd.jpg

16iuyl1.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features