• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 liberty 800 swap to an 09 RMK800 chassis

V
Ok. I'm looking for a little guidance. I currently have an 02 RMK 800 with some slight mods SLP stage2, team secondary, cheater head, larger crank bearing conversion. Motor runs strong! Sled is good for what it is. My buddy blew his 09 rmk800163, he pulled the motor, and then said effit I'll just buy a newer sled. Sooooo I have basically an entire 09rmk 800 chassis w/o a motor, and a really good older liberty motor. Has anyone heard of anybody swapping in an older liberty into the IQ chassis? I'm sure it can be done. I know there are quite a few logistical issues to address like carbs and such, but just putting some feelers out there. I don't really have any extra loot to spend on a new motor. Otherwise I'd just pick up the correct motor and call it a day. Other thought was to throw the skid/track/drivers out of the 09 into the edge, and possible the tunnel as well. I can't stand those old edge narrow running boards. Let me know what you guys think?

V
Outlaw addict, do you know of anyone who has done this? I guess I'll just pull the 02 800 and slap it in there and see what I have to do. I'm guessing fab some motor mounts, check for clutch alignment. I'll have to use the fuel pump off the old sled. Figure out the exhaust situation.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I put a 700 in mine... I have a Holz plate and instructions I can sell you. Otherwise maybe try Brad Wursten.. think his forum name is psi1200, Power Addiction Racing, if I remember right.

My Holz plate and instructions gets a good start and the motor in but you still need to figure out...

Pipe
Airbox/intake
Coolant routing
Bunch of other little things.

You end up as the same center to center as the race sleds.

I don't know any of the other guys that have done it, but there Is a bunch of us.

V
So, was it worth the trouble? I would think it is! Option B is to drop and roll the edge chassis and throw the IQ skid and 163 track in it. I really think I'd like to do the engine swap. What do you need ($$$$) for the plate and instructions?

Last edited:
S
Jan 15, 2010
I pulled the 700 BB with 220 cylinders out of my tired 1997 RMK, rebuilt the engine and installed it in my 2008 700 RMK. I used the engine plate from Brad and had CPI build me an exhaust pipe to match the engine to the chassis. I used the carbs and all the electronics including the wiring harness off a 2004 800 RMK. I then sent the CDI to PRO 5 to be reflashed with the aggressive 1997 RMK timing curve and used the PERC reverse also. I choose to not run oil injection because the oil pump is a pretty tight fit even with cutting the bulkhead to make it fit in there. Coolant lines were no problem. The only issue that is kind of a pain is the air box. Right now I am running K&N air pods but working on trying to build a custom box or piping. All in all the sled worked out awesome and plan to do another conversion for my wife/son's sled as soon as possible. Drop me a PM and I can answer any questions you might have. THANKS!

vwsprite

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2008
mazama, wa
i've done it, and it's been great, well worth it. PAR engine plate, slp twins for the iq slightly modified, there are lots of little things, if you get serious i can help you out with what to do

HAZZER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
CASPER,WYOMING
Question

VW I see a turbo in your profile pic did you put that in the IQ chassis?
I just had a shock mount break and a few other issues on my 02 800 chassis that I have an 01 700 nonves turbo in. I have a D8 chassis with no engine I was thinking of putting that engine and turbo in it. Wondering if you did that was it to bad of a job? keep in mind I converted an XLT short track to A 144" edge suspension and a nonves twin motor so these type of projects arent out of my reach. I was already going to order the PAR plate to put a nonves 790 in it but I would like to try the turbo. TIA

Jon:noidea:

V

villain

Nov 2, 2013
i would love to see a turbo BB dragon. I am currently in the process of installing a BB 700 non ves into my 08. converting the stator to perc is the hardest part of the install so far. broken and stripped bolts have been a nightmare. everything else is easy. Brad's motor plate and fuel pump block off plate are awesome. fit is spot on.

vwsprite

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2008
mazama, wa
the turbo was fun, wish it was a new turbo (found a used one cheap) so i could rule the lag out as the only issue. was a bit bogy in the trees when slow, then would catch up quick. also always had a run on issue with carbs when the snow was easy( trails, no powder) ended up sucking a reed and blowing a piston, so i went to a big bore, less issue with clutching. never did get a turbo specific helix, would have liked that!
it was fun getting the sled to stand on its tail though, after clearing a road cut!:face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features