• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who makes an aftermarket oil cap for Pro?..Or pics of home made??

adam5187

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
What aftermarket company makes the better vented oil cap for the pro or some pics of guys doing there own. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

jeremyp111

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2009
New Hampshire
Here is a picture of the cap from Paaso Racing installed on my 15 RMK LE. I vented the tank directly on my 13 SBA but this is even easier...no drilling a hole in the oil tank.

20141013_150105_zpsb0b791b2.jpg

fastmnstealth

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2010
Big Lake, MN
Does the 90deg fitting spin in the cap? Seem like it would be a pain if it didn't spin...Especially if it were tethered.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Do you guys think this oil cap thing could be the reason for some of the durability issues in the past with the motor? I know on the Cat if you fill the oil too full it will seal off the vent in the cap and cause a hydraulic lock and do the same thing. Kind of odd that Polaris hasn't redesigned the cap if it's a problem.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
wait I thought most of these failures were from cold water rushing into the motor when starting it up, no wasn't it poor piston sizes, I mean it was too thin of skirts on the cylinders, no its from the pistons rocking in the cylinders, I mean its because the oil pumps aren't turned up enough from the factory;)

Last edited:
B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Uh YES,have you been living under a rock !!Damn cap is reason for most of these failures..

So your telling me Polaris has been paying for motors under warranty, redesigning Pistons and the engineers have not done anything to remedy a $10 oil cap on the reservoir. I'm not bashing, it's a sincere question. Venting the oil reservoir with $1.00 worth of hose could prevent all the motor issues that Polaris has been dealing with?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
wait I thought most of these failures were from cold water rushing into the motor when starting it up, no wasn't it poor piston sizes, I mean it was too thin of skirts on the cylinders, no its from the pistons rocking in the cylinders, I mean its because the oil pumps aren't turned up enough from the factory;)
Seriously...what is a guy to believe.

jeremyp111

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2009
New Hampshire
Well, I can't say for sure that it's the cause of ALL the problems people have had with the 800 motor but I CAN say this. I always had an air bubble in the oil line right at the oil tank. No matter how many times I bled it out, it always came back. Once I vented the tank I never had another air bubble again.

B
Mar 1, 2009
Its crazy ,most of them last past warranty,so they make a lot of money off of parts. Problem is, even the worst ones vent part of the time.All it takes is a few minutes of no oil and you have serious damage. I put a new indy dan long rod in mine and it went 50 miles,i even had lots of oil in gas but that don't help crank much.

Premium Features