• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

piston rock

C
Aug 29, 2008
Ive got a 2011 pro rmk 800. I know allot of them have issues with piston slap. Its got 1300 miles and I can hear a slight chatter at idle. Is this something that should be addressed before I ride it? Should I replace with OEM pistons or a durability kit?? Any help would be appreciated!

Mar 10, 2013
Just replaced the pistons in my 12 Pro with the RKTEK replacement pistons and I was amazed how much smoother it idled, have not had a chance to ride just a few heat cycles. Assuming your out of warranty put in any of the durability kits or the RKTEK pistons any of those are better then what you have.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
It's more likely that what you are hearing is loose motor mounts or a drive clutch that's getting sloppy. Both should be due for service @ 1300 for sure.

But to your question about the pistons, there is no real way to know without pulling the cylinders and inspecting everything... but most of us believe it's a good idea to replace the pistons by 1500 to 2000 miles. Chances are you will find ring flaking and knife edging of the piston skirts. If you drop a skirt, things get expensive fast.
I always recommend the MTNTK fix kit for a few reasons:
This kit has been proven over many years, is reasonably priced, and MTNTK is great to deal with for support / warranty. I find most other vendors don't seem to care unless you have a $10,000+ build in their shop.

R
Oct 26, 2014
Question

Just replaced the pistons in my 12 Pro with the RKTEK replacement pistons and I was amazed how much smoother it idled, have not had a chance to ride just a few heat cycles. Assuming your out of warranty put in any of the durability kits or the RKTEK pistons any of those are better then what you have.
........ So I just did this upgrade and new jugs after 1700 miles. Should I run it on ethenal setting for fuel to break in?

Mar 10, 2013
........ So I just did this upgrade and new jugs after 1700 miles. Should I run it on ethenal setting for fuel to break in?

If you just did the pistons I do not think you need to run on the ethenal fuel setting. I think that is more if you did the head also as you are raising the compression. I am just doing the 200 to 1 premix for the first tank.

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
Ive got a 2011 pro rmk 800. I know allot of them have issues with piston slap. Its got 1300 miles and I can hear a slight chatter at idle. Is this something that should be addressed before I ride it? Should I replace with OEM pistons or a durability kit?? Any help would be appreciated!

I got same sled same miles. 85hrs I think. Mine had a lot of slap and chatter also. Had it tore down on warranty and they put new crank bearings in. I paid for OEM pistons and labor was free. Sled sounds same to me. Wish I would of had them just put it back together and did rktec replacement pistons myself.

Premium Features