• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NEW CHANGES IN FOX FLOAT EVOL-R AND COMPATIBILITY WITH PRO RMK SWAYBAR

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
It's been brought up in treads last year that there were difficulties in mounting the FOX FLOAT EVOL-R ski shocks

Because of the location of the Adjustment knob on Air sleeve head (the know was on the OPPOSITE from the EVOL Chamber), you could only mount the shock in one position, with the EVOL chamber-end of the shock mounted to the lower A-ARM.... Also, Because of the new "inline" location of the EVOL chamber, Rather than "clocked" off to the side... there was interference with the swaybar mount. :help:

Photo of last years FLOAT3 EVOL-R shock with the adjuster on the opposite side of the EVOL chamber
attachment.php

I brought this up in a good discussion with the powersports people at FOX...

Well, for this season... FOX listened to us... pretty cool :peace:

For the 2014/15 FOX SHOX production run...On the EVOL-R (only "R" model and NOT the RC2, aka "X") ...
The Adjustment knob is NOW located on the SAME side as the EVOL chamber.

From FOX Racing SHOX PowerSports Division
Eric...
We moved the orientation of the knob on EVOL R shocks in order to make the adjustments more accessible. A lot of folks will mount their shocks with the EVOL chamber nearest the top mount, and by facing the rebound knob the same direction, it keeps all of the adjustments higher up, out of the snow, and on the correct side facing outward for ease of adjustment.

NEW FOX FLOAT EVOL-R WITH ADJUSTER KNOB ON SAME SIDE AS THE EVOL CHAMBER:
attachment.php

The EVOL-R adjuster knob is located on the same side as the EVOL chamber on EVOL-R Ski Shocks only.
The Rear suspension (front-track and rear-track) EVOL-R adjustment knobs are still located on the opposite side of the EVOL head for the shocks.

These changes are also present in the same models of current production Burandt edition shocks.

NOTE: The FOX RACING SHOX website still has photos of the previous design EVOL-R shocks on their website... They are working on updating in them in the months to come.

This is true... only... starting in the current year production of the EVOL-R.

As a note on the function of the EVOL-R adjustment knob.
This knob controls a piston bypass needle valve that allows oil to flow in both compression and Rebound motion.
Rather than strictly a "Rebound" adjustment on this shock.... You should look at it as more of a "Compliance Adjuster" that affects both rebound and Compression events...The effect of this is also affected by the air-spring pressures used.

Another misconception of the function of the EVOL chamber feature is that the EVOL Equipped shocks they "ramp-up" the spring rate at the end of the shocks travel and they have an more progressive character because of the EVOL chamber... and this prevents bottoming because of a more progressive character.

This is actually the OPPOSITE of the design purpose of the EVOL chamber. The EVOL chamber allows for more LINEAR spring rate (Less progressive) to keep the shock from getting harsh at the end of travel. You can run more initial air pressure in the shock without the pressure ramping up so much at the end of travel that the the shock gets harsh before full stroke is realized. The secondary air chamber of the EVOL, which has a floating piston in it, tips in and keeps the air pressure to reasonable levels and allows true full-travel of the shock in a very LINEAR way.

OLD float3-evol-r-main.jpg

Last edited:

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
So whats the difference between Burandt valving and off the shelf valving from Fox?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
live2beel...

For the EVOL-R ...that my friend is the question... maybe something... maybe just "a sticker"

I can't get any details on it either way.

Either way, the only way that I think we'll find out other than "oh.. this is stiffer or that is softer" is if someone were to have both on the bench, opened up with valve stacks out... and compare side by side.

The ad-print From Burandt/FOX reads:
Developed for the Mountain with Backcountry legend Chris Burandt. The Signature Series FLOAT 3 Evol R Ski Shocks and Rear Track FLOAT 3 and FLOAT 3 Evol R offer world-class calibration developed by a world-class athlete. This shock package gives you world class athlete shock calibration resulting in outstanding suspension and steering performance in every conceivable terrain condition.

For the EVOL RC2 (AKA the EVOL-X)... for 2014/2015... the Burandt edition gets everything Kashima coated... the air-sleeve, the shock body, the piggyback reservoir, the EVOL Chamber.

THE EVOL-R, in both standard and Burandt versions, does NOT have this level of Kashima coat...only on the air sleeve.

float3-evol-rc2-burandtss-main.jpg

attachment.php

Fox EVOL RC2.jpg

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
The Fox explanation of the Evol chamber is what I've found to be true in three seasons with Evol R's, and contra to the setup info sent supplied by the vendor in 11. Many peeps are running too much pressure in the Evol chamber for their riding style. For those that haven't, try dropping the Evol pressures dramatically, you might like it in the deep and the ride in/out. E.g., starting at the initially recommended 60/115 for the 17.5 Evol R's fronts, I ended up at 55/75, rebound clicker two slower. Small drops, limited hucking.

P

Polarisbird

Jun 9, 2014
Yes, they are the new style with the adjustment knob on the evol chamber side. I ordered mine a month or so ago while on sale and thats how they were anyway.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
One of my buddies said he saw on FB a post about new fox shocks. Some were coil overs. Did anyone catch it?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
These??

2881411.jpg

Performance Series, 1.5 ZERO QS3 is all new featuring 6061-T6 aluminum body, super-finish hard chrome steel shaft, FIST, 3 Position compression damping adjustment (QS3), and adjustable velocity sensitive damping with Hi flow piston Spring.

• Coil Adjustments
  • 3 Position Compression (QS3)
  • Spring Preload Features
  • Hard coat anodized body and reservoir
  • FOX Ice Scraper Technology (FIST)
  • High-flow velocity-sensitive damping

SwedenPro

Premium Member
Apr 1, 2013
Sweden
Float 3 Evol R Polaris Part#2880487

Hi, I was planning on trading my -14 RMK 800 for an SKS, but due to circumstances I can't control, it's not going to happen this season, so now I back looking at Fox Float's again, the Polaris Part#2880487, what shock is that, are they long enough for the non-Pro Rmk 800, I've checked the fox part# and they say that the Pro shocks are 850-22-211, and the non-Pro are 850-22-206, but what are the Polaris part#?

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
They also came out with Keith Kurtis signature coil overs with heavy Kashima coating. I believe the Keith Curtis's are the ones I got in an email. I don't have a pic.

Float X Evol RC (same style as the RC2's) just had a screw head clicker for rebound where the red nobs where. I wonder if that is something that can be retro-fitted with the Evol-R's with the nob interfering with the sway bar. Just looked and its the same screw on the rear Evol-R shock.

FYI those retro sticker kits are on Amazon for $20.00 a set now, from Fox.

Sweden Pro, I think their are a set of 17.5" RC2's for sale in the Suspension swap area on here. Seemed like an good deal if you can get him to ship them to ya.

P.S. just realized this thread was a bit older. Sorry.

IMG_0813 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

SwedenPro

Premium Member
Apr 1, 2013
Sweden
Seems like the RC2's are gone, but thanks for the tip...

They also came out with Keith Kurtis signature coil overs with heavy Kashima coating. I believe the Keith Curtis's are the ones I got in an email. I don't have a pic.

Float X Evol RC (same style as the RC2's) just had a screw head clicker for rebound where the red nobs where. I wonder if that is something that can be retro-fitted with the Evol-R's with the nob interfering with the sway bar. Just looked and its the same screw on the rear Evol-R shock.

FYI those retro sticker kits are on Amazon for $20.00 a set now, from Fox.

Sweden Pro, I think their are a set of 17.5" RC2's for sale in the Suspension swap area on here. Seemed like an good deal if you can get him to ship them to ya.

P.S. just realized this thread was a bit older. Sorry.

Skickat från min ONE A2003 via Tapatalk

Premium Features