• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'14 Pro RMK QuickDrive break-in/reliability thread

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
O.K., picked up my new Pro RMK today and I'll patiently await for the snow to fly here in northern Michigan. I've spent a considerable amount of time on this forum reading about the QD belt issues on the '13 models. Everything from improper break-in, jack-shaft/bearing issues and poor quality cogs and the actual belt were blamed for belt failures (perhaps I missed a few issues). After plinking down almost $13k on the new, hopefully improved model, I'm optimistic that the engineers at Polaris have made changes to make the QD system more reliable.

I'm starting this thread (maybe sticky for the season?) in order for '14 QD owners to post their actual break-in procedure (first 100 miles) and then any subsequent belt failures. Or if you're lucky enough to ride a lot this year, the fact that your belt made it to the 2000 mile service interval.

Are you game? I'd like to get as many new owners to post as possible.

I'll post my break in as soon as I can! :thumb:

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011

49 Miles so far, mostly on road but played in a little meadow a bit!! I am definitely baby this thing along should have sent my grandma out on it :crazy: lol or better yet maybe the CEO of Polaris should have to go out and break a couple hundred of these things in and see if they come up with any more bright ideas for new production items!!!:mmph: Never remember breaking in my belt drive on my road star warrior street bike with stage three race kit installed on it!!! :face-icon-small-con

D

Drifter

Dec 16, 2007
60 miles. First 20 miles no prolonged wide open throttle just short bursts. Once belt did its shedding thing it's been fair game. No problems so far.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Mine will be broken like my 13'. WOT right from the gate. 1400 miles on the original belt. Couple friends broke theirs in slowly and both have blown belts. IMO I think it was more of an issue related to QC of tolerances and belt quality.. Hopefully my 14' will handle as good. It will have 10# boost thrown at it right off the bat at low elevation:)

C

clamlake600

Feb 2, 2010
I got a 2014 snowcheck pro rmk le in the shop today for mods. It has the 13 belt on it. Called the dealer to order a spare and it updates to new #....time to double check your belt #, they must have had a few extra to get rid of!

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
ITS ON!!!

Went up today a foot of fresh up to 85 miles :face-icon-small-coo GAME ON!!!

NOV  17 2013.jpg

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
50 miles on mine today. All trail, not enough snow yet to cover them nasty stumps, dead fall, and rocks. One more trip out and then it's game on.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I ran mine today. 45 miles ditch and field, max foot of snow. Ran alot of mid throttle but lots of couple second pulls mainly drove normal
But didnt hold it wide open for long. Lots of grey shedding off the belt. Thought it was purple last year?

Also snow behind belt from stupid drain hole (i have footwell vents) so i need a skid plate.

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
Some great posts so far guys. Keep up with pertinent info (how you're riding and what you're experiencing). I'm still patiently waiting for to snow to fly - luckily there are lots of fun aftermarket part installs to keep me occupied :face-icon-small-hap

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Last year there was a service bulletin about the top pulley bolt backing out.

There could be an issue or culprit on any of the 2013 issues.

This caused the top drive-shaft bearing to spin and fail. Mine needed a new shaft because of that.

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
I honestly don't believe the break in is as important as proper care after the fact. last year I broke mine in as recomended, still stripped some cogs clean off at 700 miles (DO NOT try and move the sled with a ton of ice in the tunnel and skid, break it out, chip it out whatever)

That is what killed mine, which was totally my own doing

The second belt got hammer down from 0 miles, and is still on the sled at 2300 miles, i will post pics of my current issue in the appropriate thread

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
All belts (and most other things) need a break in period. What makes the Poo set-up break-in more important is no way to adjust tension. Until it is broken in tension will be too tight (makes sense to me, eh?). Too tight a belt should be ridden easy but do as you want.

Just FYI The C3 instructions (to my surprise, lol, after all of last years BS about how stupid it is to have to take 100 miles out of your season) is very specific on setting initial tension and checking it MANY times during the first ride or (in BIG BOLD TYPE) belt damage or breakage MAY occur.

It's not about the magic 100 mile mark. It's about letting it happen easy. IMO (after what I saw last year) you could do all the break-in on your first ride ( a long one) if you take the time to build up the HP you apply. First stop (to let it "cure" and cool down) should be in a couple of miles then extend to longer spurts with a bit more ROLL on power.
The other thing I think they should recommend is stay off the trail from the get go to stop any chance of shock loads from the traction end and less likely to get up to 70 mph during the first 1/2 hr ( hard to resist lol).

They're just light little things yanking 700 lbs through 155 or more of traction lol. So be nice to them until they get loose enough to fit correctly.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
I only managed 485 miles last year and I'm on my 4th belt. The 4th one has more miles on it than the first three combined. Various riding conditions and various "break in" techniques. For some the there is no easy answer to why the belts are breaking. Although I haven't heard of as many breaking this year as I did last up too this point. More time and miles will tell....

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
Let's try and keep this thread dedicated to 2014 QD sleds. There are hundreds of posts pertaining to the 2013's.

There may be some good news in the fact that the boards are so quite right now. At this time last year, they were blowing up with all kinds of QD issues. Most people won't bother to post unless they are having failures.

'14 guys, keep on posting your experiences - good or bad. I'm still waiting for snow. :face-icon-small-fro

2Quickrides

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2012
Edmonton
I'm only up to 30 miles so far, but...........I took it easy for the first 5 miles or so while heat cycling the belts, then this happened. When it comes to throttle, I have no will power, I'm weak! Lol

Anyway, these things are amazing and zero issues despite the abuse.

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
First 38 miles today. Zero issues. Followed a similar break in period described in the link below. Had some nice WOT pulls around the 20 mile mark. I stopped and let the QC cool down as well in the first 20 miles. Conditions were 10-14" powder (I know, but it's michigan), so not a lot of strain on the drive train. We'll see if I pay the price for not following the user manual 100 mile break in period.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I'll post again at 500 miles or before if I fry the QD belt.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
First 38 miles today. Zero issues. Followed a similar break in period described in the link below. Had some nice WOT pulls around the 20 mile mark. I stopped and let the QC cool down as well in the first 20 miles. Conditions were 10-14" powder (I know, but it's michigan), so not a lot of strain on the drive train. We'll see if I pay the price for not following the user manual 100 mile break in period.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I'll post again at 500 miles or before if I fry the QD belt.
He is showing you his theory on breaking in a engine, not a belt .

Premium Features