• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

POO PRO 800 engine?

Will the PRO's 800 engine last?

• YES

Votes: 352 71.5%
  • NO

Votes: 140 28.5%

• Total voters

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
One of the pro's riding with my group lost the crank last weekend, just over 800 miles on it!! Looks kinda like the old 800 polaris thing continues!!!

M

minecat

Nov 27, 2007
Winnemucca, Nevada
there was a statemnet above about holding a sled at wide open long enough and it will blow i believe that is not true if the motor is built correctly i have had my mercury 300x held at 6500 for over 30 mins before and not one lick of trouble because of WFO runs

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Yes I think the new pro's 800 engines will last based on the amount of R&D went into this motor compared to the D8's and how much better they are in the short amount of time that they have been proven so far by all of the positive ride reports.

The other reason this engine seems to be better is thatnthe engine actually has been proven to make more power as it is breaking in compared to the D8's that actually has a continual loss of power with the miles that are put on it.

These results have been proven on the Dyno with Bikeman Performance and Jim at DTR. Yes there will always be a few fluke failures due to kinked oil lines or some other known defects but in the big picture these engines seem to be holding up by at least 10 to 1 compared to the D8.

L
Apr 30, 2010
N/E AB
I feel they'll be fine with a few going down for various reasons. As for oil I feel they are stingy to meet EPA. I cranked up the pump a bit on the wife's sled and would recommend everyone do the same, can't hurt. Not sure what ratio I'm at but it uses a bit more but not as much as other sleds. Oil is cheap, no EPA to worry about after we take'm home and if it makes it last longer why not? By the way it's a f'n PIA to get at the pump for a 30second adjustment.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
One of the pro's riding with my group lost the crank last weekend, just over 800 miles on it!! Looks kinda like the old 800 polaris thing continues!!!
Again, it's a 2-stroke sled....some will break. No 2 ways around that.

If you look on the 1st page of any section (pol, doo, cat), there are threads with major component failures (engine, clutch, etc) from the 2011's of all three.

So you could say "looks like the ski doo pistons/rings problem is still around" or "looks like cat still can't keep a clutch spider together." I think so far the Pro motors are as reliable as anything in the 2-stroke sled world.

Track Man

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
Coppins Meadow
I hate posting this. I love this sled and it is the best sled I have every had. My piston skirt broke at 800 miles. I hope that I am one in at least 1000. My dealer has not said what went wrong yet. Sled is still at dealer. Should be picking up today or tomorrow. I was not driving the sled when it blew, My son was. I do know if you drive any motor wide open for a long time it will blew. My son owns a doo and he has been through motors and now the sled is broke in half . XPs are weak.
Just got off the phone with my dealer and he said it was not my piston skirt that broke off ,it was my cylinder skirt that broke off. Maybe a bad casting. He is getting the piston clearance for me and I will post it. He just got back from the dealer meeting and he said they only had 10% engine failure this year. Polaris is happy with this. Best in the industry.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
For the PRO RMK 800's .... I truly doubt that your dealer heard it correctly .... no where near 10% much lower than that in the 5% or less range would be accurate and acceptable in any mfg... And that would INCLUDE all minor engine problems like injectors, throttle cables, motor mounts etc..

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
I lost my motor today on the Pro with a little over 800 miles, looks like the oil seal went on the PTO bearing. She locked up and had oil everywhere under the hood, this sled was completely stock other then Clutching.

This is the 4th sled between Alpine Motorsports in Kremmling and My dealer in Grand lake, all the same failures.

Last edited:
T

tfrick821

Nov 27, 2007
eastern ia
I lost my motor today on the Pro with a little over 800 miles, looks like the oil seal went on the PTO bearing. She locked up and had oil everywhere under the hood, this sled was completely stock other then Clutching.

This is the 4th sled between Alpine Motorsports in Kremmling and My dealer in Grand lake, all the same failures.

Do you know how many sleds these 2 dealerships sold? It would help establish a percentage of failures. Does anyone have warranty information? (Number of sleds sold vs. number of engine failures.)

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
Do you know how many sleds these 2 dealerships sold? It would help establish a percentage of failures. Does anyone have warranty information? (Number of sleds sold vs. number of engine failures.)

I'd be guessing, but I'm thinking around 45 Pro's and assaults from Alpine and 11-12 from Spirit lake? Talking to Erik at Vohk, there has been less then 100 motors fail in all the sleds Poo had sold this last fall, We'll see as more people get around that 800-1,000 mile range.

Track Man

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
Coppins Meadow
My dealer said he sold 35 sleds and had just 2 go down. Here is a shot of my old motor that had 800 miles on it.. I now have my new motor and it rocks. It took 3 weeks to get it fixed. With back ordered motor not too bad.

DSC03584.jpg

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
That's what my D8 motor looked like. Bottom of cylinder skirt broke off and went down down.

R
Mar 2, 2008
Kindred, ND
My dealer said he sold 35 sleds and had just 2 go down. Here is a shot of my old motor that had 800 miles on it.. I now have my new motor and it rocks. It took 3 weeks to get it fixed. With back ordered motor not too bad.

some JB weld otta take care of that... just kidding that sucks at least it was covered by warranty.

Premium Features