• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Underhood Heat

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
I do it on my machines, heat is power without it your going no where.

Keeping the hot stuff hot is important, keeping the heat in is better than trying make the hot stuff cold to stop the heat.

It's not the end all be all.

Use 1" wrap on your sled , 2" dosent work well with the bends. Get the wrap moist ( you don't need to submerge it in water) , wrap , dry , then spray with silicone spray.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK

Keeping the hot stuff hot is important, keeping the heat in is better than trying make the hot stuff cold to stop the heat.

Use 1" wrap on your sled , 2" dosent work well with the bends. Get the wrap moist ( you don't need to submerge it in water) , wrap , dry , then spray with silicone spray.

Ive see 4 stroke guys drop roll in a pail of water and pull out an end and wrap it way... How do you moisten it your way?

#canadastrong

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
The wrap is fairly common, especially with the turbo crowd.

You can retain too much heat in the pipe, but most important is retaining a fairly consistent temperature. As temperature directly relates to pressure and pressure has a huge effect on fueling. Thus consistent pipe temp equals consistent fueling which translates to consistent power / performance.
Something we can all get behind and understand the benefits of.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Actually consistent temp, means consistent speed of sound, means consistent peak rpm because the pipe is tuned to reflect these waves.
You can pick high temp or low temp to tune to depending on your riding style. Dang trees get in my way so I tune for low temps and "un insulate" my pipe lol.

As for getting rid of underhood heat. over the headlights and under the windshield area gives you a spot with almost a square foot to open up. It's a "convectionally" excellent spot because heat rises. Downsize the headlight assy while your in there to something like car running lights and you make more room with the added "venting in" frontal area.
MO.
Also don't close off the big hole in the belly pan. Again MO.

T
Dec 8, 2011

Are you removing the clamshell on the stock pipe or are you just wrapping aftermarket pipes ?

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Why don't the sleds come stock that way then? Not saying it's wrong or right, just asking.:face-icon-small-hap

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Why don't the sleds come stock that way then? Not saying it's wrong or right, just asking.:face-icon-small-hap

One of the downsides is that it can rust out your pipe. The wrap is always getting wet with snow and it holds that water in the wrap and causes the pipe to rust under the wrap.

Thats why the one post mentions spraying with silicone to try and repel the water. Eric

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
As mentioned moisture , also time .. It's messy and time consuming to wrap , no way efficient or cost effective for the oem. Easy for the oem to use the insulation and shell.

Premium Features