• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brought home my new SBA today!

newfrank

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2013
Hey fellas,

I finally got the SBA home last night. Boy is it a good looking sled! Just sitting on the machine, it definitely feels more comfortable than my TNT ever did. The pro tapers fit my hands nicely. I find the grips themselves have a smaller diameter than I am used to but that's not a huge deal. Got my skid plate, ice scratchers, rsi thumbwarmer plate, paaso's vent kit all on their way as well! I'm going to pick up the polaris tether. I figure for 20 bucks I can't really go wrong. I have a skinz tunnel bag, just gotta pick up some new clips for it to go on the tunnel. I'm probably going to get the sled solutions backcountry bag as well. I need a place for rope and the owners manual.

I've been 'exploring' the machine, looking at how things work. To get the hood off, do I only need to remove the two screws by the handle bars? Also, I can already tell that the clips for the side panels are going to cause anger. I find them very loose when I open the panels, are they supposed to be like that?

The 'flap' or 'wing' at the rear of the tunnel seems kind of stupid in my opinion. What is it's purpose? I feel like its just extra material that will collect ice. I think either the skinz boards or the burandt boards are in this sleds future. As for the skinz float plate...does it install using rivets? Would something like the mainway solutions skid plate mount kit work? (Mainway Solutions | Snowmobile Greasable Suspension Parts).

I 'think' I have the international model? I have the 2" track, electric start. How can I tell if I have the heavier torsion springs? I weigh 185 lbs I have 4" of sag sitting on the machine at the lowest torsion setting. The book says 5" so I guess I'm good. I like a bit of a stiff ride so I popped the torsion block up to the medium position. Also, is the recoil rope supposed to have oil on it? I wanted to see how easily it starts with the rope but it splattered oil all over the panel, especially around the hole for the handle. I'm guessing its for reduced wear?

The snowflap is sweet. I really like the block that gives me a spot to grab no matter how stuck I get. Super good idea!

Anyways, here are some pics. I wasn't sold on the colour until I saw the machine in person. This thing is sexy.

IMG_20141017_164948_zps9e339f0e.jpg

IMG_20141017_165008_zps1ec83206.jpg

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
They usually ship with the lighter springs
I rode one season before I sloppes them out and went to heavy duty springs I'm 185lbs

The hood comes off with just the 2 screws and the panels open, I made a pin kit for that. Basically studs with holes drilled in them

Enjoy!

T
Jun 14, 2014
Coon Rapids Mn
Hey fellas,

I finally got the SBA home last night. Boy is it a good looking sled! Just sitting on the machine, it definitely feels more comfortable than my TNT ever did. The pro tapers fit my hands nicely. I find the grips themselves have a smaller diameter than I am used to but that's not a huge deal. Got my skid plate, ice scratchers, rsi thumbwarmer plate, paaso's vent kit all on their way as well! I'm going to pick up the polaris tether. I figure for 20 bucks I can't really go wrong. I have a skinz tunnel bag, just gotta pick up some new clips for it to go on the tunnel. I'm probably going to get the sled solutions backcountry bag as well. I need a place for rope and the owners manual.

I've been 'exploring' the machine, looking at how things work. To get the hood off, do I only need to remove the two screws by the handle bars? Also, I can already tell that the clips for the side panels are going to cause anger. I find them very loose when I open the panels, are they supposed to be like that?

The 'flap' or 'wing' at the rear of the tunnel seems kind of stupid in my opinion. What is it's purpose? I feel like its just extra material that will collect ice. I think either the skinz boards or the burandt boards are in this sleds future. As for the skinz float plate...does it install using rivets? Would something like the mainway solutions skid plate mount kit work? (Mainway Solutions | Snowmobile Greasable Suspension Parts).

I 'think' I have the international model? I have the 2" track, electric start. How can I tell if I have the heavier torsion springs? I weigh 185 lbs I have 4" of sag sitting on the machine at the lowest torsion setting. The book says 5" so I guess I'm good. I like a bit of a stiff ride so I popped the torsion block up to the medium position. Also, is the recoil rope supposed to have oil on it? I wanted to see how easily it starts with the rope but it splattered oil all over the panel, especially around the hole for the handle. I'm guessing its for reduced wear?

The snowflap is sweet. I really like the block that gives me a spot to grab no matter how stuck I get. Super good idea!

Anyways, here are some pics. I wasn't sold on the colour until I saw the machine in person. This thing is sexy.

IMG_20141017_164948_zps9e339f0e.jpg

IMG_20141017_165008_zps1ec83206.jpg

Oil on the pull rope? I have a 2015 sba and there's no oil on my rope. Doesn't sound right to me...

newfrank

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2013
Hmm, I guess I'll call my dealer and see what they did.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Aftermarket boards are a must if you ride off trail. Best mod I have done to mine so far. I cut the "wings" off the rear of the tunnel when I put my Airframes on.

You can measure your torsion spring diameter to figure out if you have the heavy ones. .375" are the heavy springs. I am 230 with gear on and after having my rear shock re-valved to my weight, the .375" torsions were too stiff.
I have heard of guys running one heavy and one light torsion to find the best ride.

Enjoy the sled, very fun on and off trail.

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
Hmm, I guess I'll call my dealer and see what they did.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
I 'think' I have the international model?

Actually, The Last year for the international model in an Assault was 2013.
They came stock with heavier rear springs, 2" tack and gearing, gripper skiis, electric start, and tunnel reinforcement kit.

Enjoy your new ride?

newfrank

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah I measured the springs and I have the 0.375" ones. I already have new skis (usi triple threats), skinz skid plate, sled solutions backcountry tunnel bag, polaris tether, paaso vented cap.

Next on the list are either B&M burly boards or the skinz airframes, a B&M front bumper. Going to wait for Christmas and hope Santa is nice to me ;)

Sneak A Peak

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2013
Washington State
Congratulations on the new sled.

Yes, the oil on the rope is intended to reduce wear, and it works... I use this method with all of my pull start equipment. Have fun!

newfrank

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2013
Last I checked the assault didn't come stock with the 2". You can still get the 1 3/8. Most places here order more 2" than 1 3/8 tho

My sled came stock with the 2" track. I just told the dealer I wanted the sba with electric start and a 2" track and that's what I got. I also just measured the torsion springs. I have the 0.375" springs so I should be good to go!

Congratulations on the new sled.

Yes, the oil on the rope is intended to reduce wear, and it works... I use this method with all of my pull start equipment. Have fun!

Okay, good to know. Thanks for the update!

Jan 22, 2014
Sask. Canada
My '14 SBA 600 came with electric start and 2 inch track. Bought mid to late last season when I couldn't wait any longer for a new sled. Dealership told me they order most of their SBA's with the 2 inch track.

newfrank

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2013
I guess it depends on the dealer. I called a few dealers around me, most would only give me the 1 3/8" track. I had to actually get my sled from a dealer in Quebec (about 5 hours from me) to get a 2" track and electric start.

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
To me the SBA is the best Polaro sled deal. I love my 013. The International model. The best feature to me is that the sled's platform allows for a huge variety of set up options. One can fit a multiple track types (including studded tracks) and lengths, two-up seats and large cargo racks and gear bags. You can add the big rear bumper and go light freighting to the cabin with a load of gear one weekend and strip it down to bash powder with the best of them the next. You can even install the 600 RMK A-arms and go narrow, not to mention a Trail Tank and the bolt-on K-Mod and Timber Sled rear suspensions. Just run good gas. Great choice. 550iq

Last edited:
E
Oct 22, 2009
NY
I love my 14 Assault! To me it is a do anything sled, great off trail (east coast), good trail sled on anything but the tightest twisty trails, good power, light weight and just an overall blast to ride. There is also lots of adjustability and after market options out there.

If you do a lot of off trail I would suggest different running boards, I was going to go with the WRP inserts but I ran short on money this fall. Maybe next year...

I just upgraded to the .375 springs and revalved my shocks for this season. I go 250 before gear and the shock valving was way too soft and the springs were on the edge of too soft on the highest setting for trail riding. If you do more off trail deeper snow stuff you can get away with the softer springs. I'm curious to see how the stiffer springs affect things off trail? I'm hoping to get away with them on soft most of the time with the option to bump up for more trail mile days vs full hard all the time on the .359 springs.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
Aftermarket boards are a must if you ride off trail. Best mod I have done to mine so far. I cut the "wings" off the rear of the tunnel when I put my Airframes on.

Yeah, you're going to be hating life with the stock boards. I'd probably do that first.

newfrank

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah, you're going to be hating life with the stock boards. I'd probably do that first.

Unless I get a good Christmas present I'll probably end up waiting till the summer to do new running boards.

----------
I brought it up north today and got to go for a small rip. This thing is going to be wicked fun in real snow!

My engine light came on though while doing my short ride around the yard. Is this normal during engine break in?

IMG_20141128_104211_zpsbagnbglr.jpg

IMG_20141128_161401_zpsrhuame1o.jpg

IMG_20141128_161345_zps7f84kfht.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features