• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Front Track Shock is this normal?

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Hey Guys,

I was going through my rear suspension of a 2013 Pro and thought something was a little weird. While playing with the front track shock I notice that it only uses about the first 2 inches of travel without a spring. Is that normal? Please see video and use volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56RnbbIyEvU&index=1&list=UUl2wcinyb4pnDvaFXAKW67w

The reason I ask was I had the shock shaft replaced last year at some local craiglist shop. It is a fox shaft that is a little more durable. When compressing the shock makes bubble noises and makes a little more noise compared to the front shocks. The type of noise is consistent between the front shocks and the front rear track.... just louder.

Just seems odd the design would only use 2 inches of shock travel and then basically become rock solid.

Cheers
Shawn

R

Rev Kev

Nov 27, 2007
Lapeer Michigan
The shock is in need of a rebuild, it has air in the oil, that is the reason for the "bubbling" noise, and also I believe the IFP has moved, not allowing the shaft to move its full travel. Time to take it to a reputable rebuilder and have all 4 shocks gone thru, most will charge about $25 to 35 per shock.

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Does that shock normally travel it's full length? I am not familiar with the IFP but why would it move? I am also concerned the previous shock builder might of put too long of a shaft into the shock and maybe spaced out the base?

Cheers
Shawn

R

Rev Kev

Nov 27, 2007
Lapeer Michigan
The IFP (Internal Floating Piston) could move due to a bad or cut seal, allowing Nitrogen to pass, and end up mixed into the oil. The IFP is only held in place(it's propor set depth) by Oil on one side, and the Nitrogen Charge on the other. And Yes, the Shock should travel its entire length of the shaft. Air can also be in the oil, if the prior rebuilder did not purge all air from the shim stacks during reassembly.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
What Rev Kev said...

I would send in all 4 of your shocks as they have similar use ... I've been having great experiences with Andy at www.gasshockrepair.com.

His prices are very reasonable with fast turn around. I would specify using Amsoil 5W oil (thxTRS)... in the service for more life between overhauls.

Last edited:
X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Does IFP Depth effect stroke length? The service manual has a IFP Depth of 4.3 and a stroke of 3.54. Extended length of 11.75 and collapsed of 8.21. Just looked it up.

Thanks for all your help guys :)

Cheers
Shawn

R

Rev Kev

Nov 27, 2007
Lapeer Michigan
Yes, it the IFP has moved, or was installed incorrectly. The shock shaft will hit the IFP and stop it's movement. If the IFP is installed correct, the end of the shock shaft will never hit the IFP. BTW Shawn, Not sure if You remember me, Went on a Trip Several years back With Mom's Motorsports, I think you guys stayed at Antlers, while we were at the Super 8 in Cooke City.

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Of course I remember you :) You and I where on the 07 Dec Tog trip together. The Canadians burnt that sled down the first day, it was my first trip to the mountains. A bunch of the other guys went on different trip to Cooke that year or the next that I couldn't make, but I meet everyone at the shop to give a hand loading up.

I spoke with WalkerEvans and have an appointment with another shock guy in town to get the shock fixed.

Cheers
Shawn

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Got the shock back from the shop. Apparently the guy who previously serviced them did everything right, except set the IFP in the wrong spot. The now cycle all of the way in and feel much smoother.

The place I brought them to was a guy based out of Plymouth, MN. His company is DLS Enterprises. He was a Mechanical Engineer for 20 years, with about 6 years of hydraulics experience. He has 9 years of experience servicing shocks. Dropped the shock off on Saturday and he was done with it by Tuesday night.

Cheers
Shawn

Premium Features