• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CE 2.5 track tension

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Please elaborate!! Saying has always been loose track is faster!

This may be a Dragracing/ Mountain riding opposition!!

Test this yourself. We can elaborate all you want but it won't change your position without you testing. A loose track on a PRO balloons and scrubs the tunnel.

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Test this yourself. We can elaborate all you want but it won't change your position without you testing. A loose track on a PRO balloons and scrubs the tunnel.

To further elaborate on this; mount your Go-pro or POV camera of choice looking at the track as it leaves the drivers and touches the rails. Then go for a ride, it will amaze you how much the track continues to wrap around the drivers, when the track is looser. And how much smoother this transition is when properly tensioned.

I used to do a Highway race here in Alaska and that is how we qualified the tension of the track. If you get the transition right you can gain as much as ten miles an hour over the loose track. Also note that with a properly tensioned track the lugs intersect the snow at a consistent angle. With a loose track that angle is all over the place and you are loosing traction.

A properly tensioned track is much less likely to stab than a loose one. I'd like to say impossible to stab but I will not because of some of the goofy geometry that a few rear suspensions still use, causes them to loose track tension under certain conditions.

A loose track also increases the wear rate of the drivers, the hyfax, and the track.

While a sled with a loose track is easier to roll around the shop, it is not more efficient when under it's own power.

The sellers of extrovert drivers have been making a mint on the myth that a loose track is faster but that is just that a myth. Busted!

You owe it to yourself to prove this to yourself and enjoy the benefits of your validation.

Premium Features