• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Supplemental PRO Air Intake?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Question for those in the know;

Does anyone make a air intake shelf that replaces the stock air plenum and extends forward and sideways to include the stock headlight space and the vertical surfaces just behind the stock head light? To me this makes more sense than running the SLP, Fire & Ice, Mountain Fit, and others that vent the flat spot between the handlebars and the MFD. With the spot being a low pressure zone due to the body work, the snow will settle out and collect there.

On the vertical faces of the bodywork the snow is more apt to self clean and remain open for flow to the engine. Much like Polaris has done with the new AXYS plastics.

If no one already makes a larger shelf, I will likely make my own and use the Fire & Ice Carbon side vents and head light delete vents.

Thanks for any info. you can throw my way.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Probably not really the answer you are looking for, but I found the SLP intake to be sufficient in about any snow condition. Never bogged once, and rode some super deep days with it. I'm thinking I may try the fire and ice this year, due to its flatter design, I was always nervous about poking a hole in the slp one. Not sure the fire n ice one will work as well as the slp but willing to give it a try.

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
i just installed the fire and ice intake that goes in between the gauge and steering post. real quality piece. i am really happy with it although i havent tested it. i like the lower profile design over the slp and i am a serious sucker for anything carbon fiber.

loudhandle i believe fire n ice makes the exact thing you are after. paul told me all about it at the denver snow show this year. an absolutely awesome guy to talk to and is just full of knowledge i might add. here is a link. picture #5 is i think what you are after.

http://www.firenice.us/product/2011-2015-polaris-pro-carbon-fiber-headlight-delete-kit

this includes a headlight delete but im sure if you dont want that you can just call paul and he will set you up with whatever you need.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Probably not really the answer you are looking for, but I found the SLP intake to be sufficient in about any snow condition. Never bogged once, and rode some super deep days with it. I'm thinking I may try the fire and ice this year, due to its flatter design, I was always nervous about poking a hole in the slp one. Not sure the fire n ice one will work as well as the slp but willing to give it a try.

Yes, you are correct, those I am aware of and not what I'm looking for. Thanks for the reply though.

To me the SLP intake looks cheap and does not match because of the plastic they chose to mold it from. The others flat ones from Fire and Ice and Mountain fit will just choke off with snow, IMO, and require constant snow removal.

I'm looking to vent the vertical surfaces (like Polaris did on the AXYS sleds) and either duct it to the stock plenum or remake the stock plenum to cover the entire area previously occupied by the headlight and the stock plenum.

Before I invest the time, making patterns and molds I was inquiring if there was a kit already available, that I had not come across.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
i just installed the fire and ice intake that goes in between the gauge and steering post. real quality piece. i am really happy with it although i havent tested it. i like the lower profile design over the slp and i am a serious sucker for anything carbon fiber.

loudhandle i believe fire n ice makes the exact thing you are after. paul told me all about it at the denver snow show this year. an absolutely awesome guy to talk to and is just full of knowledge i might add. here is a link. picture #5 is i think what you are after.

http://www.firenice.us/product/2011-2015-polaris-pro-carbon-fiber-headlight-delete-kit

this includes a headlight delete but im sure if you dont want that you can just call paul and he will set you up with whatever you need.

That is what I was hoping for, I would like it to be lighter than a huge hunk of aluminum but I will pursue that for now. As I have many other higher priority Irons in the fire right now. Thank You!

Eventually I will probably mold my own plenum and include a chimney with a fan to exhaust the under hood heat out thru the MFD hole. Another reason I did not want to install additional intake vents on the center flat portion where most are putting them.

Last edited:
M
May 1, 2008
Yes but no well kind of

We do build a shelf that can be used in the stock hood, currently we have been only offering the shelf with our polycarbonate pro hood. When the mold was made we designed the shelf so it could be used in the stock hood along with the stock headlight.

The current version fits tight in our hood (what it was designed for) but requires a little more silicone than what we would like when installing in the stock hood. For that reason we have not released the shelf to the masses for use in the stock hood, guys like to complain and not everyone would be ok with the little extra work needed to install in a stock hood.

We plan on refining the current version for use in the stock hood, but have no eta for that project.

For now we can sell interested parties the current version for installation in the stock hood but dont want to see you here complaining about the extra work. If you scroll through the photos on our site under pro ride hood you can see the shelf installed in our hood. http://stores.mountainfithoods.net/pro-ride-hood/

As a side note we have had a couple guys that have used this shelf on turbo sleds and have needed to add 20% fuel after adding the shelf and extra intake vents. Have not seen a need to add fuel on stock sleds running this setup.

photo(95).jpg photo(96).jpg

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
We do build a shelf that can be used in the stock hood, currently we have been only offering the shelf with our polycarbonate pro hood. When the mold was made we designed the shelf so it could be used in the stock hood along with the stock headlight.

The current version fits tight in our hood (what it was designed for) but requires a little more silicone than what we would like when installing in the stock hood. For that reason we have not released the shelf to the masses for use in the stock hood, guys like to complain and not everyone would be ok with the little extra work needed to install in a stock hood.

We plan on refining the current version for use in the stock hood, but have no eta for that project.

For now we can sell interested parties the current version for installation in the stock hood but dont want to see you here complaining about the extra work. If you scroll through the photos on our site under pro ride hood you can see the shelf installed in our hood. http://stores.mountainfithoods.net/pro-ride-hood/

As a side note we have had a couple guys that have used this shelf on turbo sleds and have needed to add 20% fuel after adding the shelf and extra intake vents. Have not seen a need to add fuel on stock sleds running this setup.

That is much closer to what I was envisioning (light and form fitting), although ultimately I would like to add the chimney for the fan and duct the under hood heat to the MFD gauge location. Eliminating the stock intakes and only run the headlight delete intake and the vertical surfaces directly behind them. I'll phone after the holidays and see what the price and shipping to AK (99686) will run me for the whole hood with desired vents and / or just the shelf.

Thank You!

Premium Features