• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

POO PRO 800 engine?

Will the PRO's 800 engine last?

• YES

Votes: 352 71.5%
  • NO

Votes: 140 28.5%

• Total voters

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
W/o reading the thread... yes they'll last cuz ppl r gonna vent their oil bottle. I had positive proof on mine both burndows. Oil line empty and sucked almost flat.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
W/o reading the thread... yes they'll last cuz ppl r gonna vent their oil bottle. I had positive proof on mine both burndows. Oil line empty and sucked almost flat.

I follow this line of reasoning; Upgrade the oil stock "vented cap (read non-functional with the angle it is mounted at)" with any number of documented fixes in the oil cap issue thread, and see if you even need to turn the oil pump up, once you have a truly vented tank. Now that the engine is indeed getting oil it will live and prosper just fine.

I had Indy Specialties Long rod all my CFI engines for performance reasons but regardless with a steady supply of oil they will all live.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah USA
hey loudhandle - very new to the pro - hadnt heard about this oil cap issue. tried the search function but didnt come up with much. any help or link to the thread?
TIA!

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
hey loudhandle - very new to the pro - hadnt heard about this oil cap issue. tried the search function but didnt come up with much. any help or link to the thread?
TIA!

The link below has most of this topic covered, there are others as well. I recommend starting at the beginning and read the whole thing. Some are resistant to the idea at first but as others with some compelling evidence weigh in, they come around. I also was skeptical at first, but have seen the light. Here is the link:
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374964

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
880 miles on my '14 800 Pro. No issues with the engine at all.
There is this weird thing going on though, I have to add oil to the reservoir after every ride and I still have the stock oil cap on.......imagine that....!!!!

Last edited:

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Done riding my 13 for the year made it to 1800 miles must be something wrong with mine. Year of warranty left might just ride it another year like I stole it. Low snow sucks. No oil adjustments but at wide open throttle it likes it.

R

Rev Kev

Nov 27, 2007
Lapeer Michigan
Well, add me to the list of motors down, sled is a 2011 pro, oiler turned up since new, running vented cap past season, PTO crank bearing went out. Had fresh top end at the start of last season, using Bikemans Fix kit, until last ride, sled was flawless, so time for a crank and new pistons, total mileage was 3686, top end was at mileage 2243.

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
My 2012 800 Pro went down last Friday the 27th. Ring land failed on both pistons, damaging the cylinders. Sled is at the dealer now, glad i bought the extended warranty! A little over 2800 miles on it, all stock, oil pump turned up since new. Fricken Polaris junk lol.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
My 2012 800 Pro went down last Friday the 27th. Ring land failed on both pistons, damaging the cylinders. Sled is at the dealer now, glad i bought the extended warranty! A little over 2800 miles on it, all stock, oil pump turned up since new. Fricken Polaris junk lol.

Your sled is about 1,000 miles overdue a top-end...but, whatever.

3,800+ flawless miles on my '12. Going to try and crack the 4,000 mark this week--Arctic Man!!

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
I believe poo motors are simply under-engineered for lightweight, low cost, and meeting emissions, with the goal of getting beyond the one year warranty, and then crappy and spotty execution makes them even more susceptible to low-mileage failure. Some are better than others, and if you're lucky enough to get a well executed motor, with proper tolerances, and then care for it adequately, you're odds are very good. If neither happens, we read about it in the forums. Good, cheap and fast - pick any two, still applies here.

Rotax has their share of issues, too, the S3 designs steered them towards lower cost, lighter weight, and ease of assembly, before they pasted etec on. The RVs were pretty stout, but them days are long over.

Suke and Yammy can design and build better 2 strokes. Yammy stopped building to try and carve out the 4s segment, at least for trail sleds. In 2000, the Mountain Max was a kickbutt sled. Without boost, they've been an also ran since in the mountain segment. Suke had some great designs, but AC has taken design responsibility for all new 2s's now. Roll the dice. The EPA has raised h3ll on all of them.

Last edited:

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I believe poo motors are simply under-engineered for lightweight, low cost, and meeting emissions, with the goal of getting beyond the one year warranty, and then crappy and spotty execution makes them even more susceptible to low-mileage failure. Some are better than others, and if you're lucky enough to get a well executed motor, with proper tolerances, and then care for it adequately, you're odds are very good. If neither happens, we read about it in the forums. Good, cheap and fast - pick any two, still applies here.

Rotax has their share of issues, too, the S3 designs steered them towards lower cost, lighter weight, and ease of assembly, before they pasted etec on. The RVs were pretty stout, but them days are long over.

Suke and Yammy can design and build better 2 strokes. Yammy stopped building to try and carve out the 4s segment, at least for trail sleds. In 2000, the Mountain Max was a kickbutt sled. Without boost, they've been an also ran since in the mountain segment. Suke had some great designs, but AC has taken design responsibility for all new 2s's now. Roll the dice. The EPA as raised h3ll on all of them.

Seeing how good our sleds are today, I regularly lament how awesome they could be without all the resources wasted on EPA compliance. Then, I remember the same goes for our cars and trucks and get seriously pissed off.

flying frenchman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
My 11 just broke 4000 miles the other day. Motor was all rebuilt at 1800 miles cylinder, pistons and crank. Piston melted and screwed everything.
Sled used to run like crap before, now it just rocks since it was rebuilt. I now can keep up or beat on the 13, 14 Pros . Very very happy with it.
Was gonna put new pistons in but, to me if it runs that good then ride it till she blows. Then fix it or part it out.
Not sure if the new Axis will handle as we'll as my Pro.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Oil, Oil, Oil.

I just read a magazine article about oil consumption for the 15 Pro, Doo and Cat 800's

Skidoo used almost double the oil in 1000 miles as Polaris used and Cat was somewhere in the middle.

The bottom line is that the 11's and 12's suffered from cylinder skirt failures as the pistons were rocking and now the tighter spec. 14's and 15's are experiencing lower connecting rod bearing failures. My 14 went out 10 days after buddies 14 did the same. He had stock oiling and mine was turned up 2 turns. 2 Turns is still not enough, you need 3 turns at least. His bearings were blue. Warranty was good to us with complete new short blocks.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Oil, Oil, Oil.

I just read a magazine article about oil consumption for the 15 Pro, Doo and Cat 800's

Skidoo used almost double the oil in 1000 miles as Polaris used and Cat was somewhere in the middle.

The bottom line is that the 11's and 12's suffered from cylinder skirt failures as the pistons were rocking and now the tighter spec. 14's and 15's are experiencing lower connecting rod bearing failures. My 14 went out 10 days after buddies 14 did the same. He had stock oiling and mine was turned up 2 turns. 2 Turns is still not enough, you need 3 turns at least. His bearings were blue. Warranty was good to us with complete new short blocks.

Turning up the adjustment does nothing positive if you have a cap that does no vent or sticks closed occasionally.

I know there are a lot of people out there that are in denial about the Polaris cap issue (and I was one myself until i did my own test, to prove it to myself), but you owe it to yourself and your sled and those you ride with to make sure oil is able to get to the pump! In my test, oil flowed for about 20 seconds and stopped with the stock cap. I will not run a stock pintle and ball style cap on anything I own! The new Doo cap with the green duck bill style vent is what I've chosen to run. The Paaso Racing cap is another option but 3 times the cost.

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Your sled is about 1,000 miles overdue a top-end...but, whatever.

3,800+ flawless miles on my '12. Going to try and crack the 4,000 mark this week--Arctic Man!!

My plan was to do the top end this summer. But, now Polaris can pay for it.

N

northstarrick

Feb 4, 2012
i'am new here. i'am from N.H. i'am the guy back in early 2011 that warned everyone on hcs about the oil cap issue and what I thought was going on. I was so concerned with this that I devolved a vent kit for this and started selling them. I never pushed this on people just keep saying you better vent your oil tank no matter how you do it.

my vented tank kit's were on iron dog team #36 folsum/greene this year. they were one of the 15 out of 37 that finished the race. it's also on sleds that raced at Jackson hole year before last.

I don't like the vented cap or the doo cap. this is the reason. it only vents one way. during storage in a hot environment the oil tank builds pressure and can force oil pass the check valves. I had a real problem with this last season. had one sled that hydro locked from the crankcase being full of oil. if you use either one of these loosen your cap or put the stock cap on for summer storage. again not all will do this but some will?

I know people are worried about warranty. I had ton of my 600 plus vent kit customers have there sled in for warranty on different unrelated issue's. not one dealer all across this country and Canada said one thing about it. or even saw it.

this is why I like venting the tank. #1 you can never pull a vacuum on the stock cap. so it will vent out when it should.#2 never had one leak ever with this. even when I first installed it on my son's pro-r and left it upside down for 6-8 hrs. infront of my shop. i'ved have had customers have leaking cap vent kit's. #3 it provides redundant tank venting. I have vent kits for all axys sleds. I don't trust the stock cap even setting level.

do I think the new 800 will last? yes. the biggest problem Polaris has had. or really two. first quality control or lack of. second cheap out sourced parts from the lowest bidder.

I grass dragged sleds in the past. first thing you do is tear the sled and motor all the way down and blue print it. I do this to all my personal sleds also. what I found was horrifying. crank run out from the factory of more then .006 on a brand new sled. piston to cylinder clearance out of Polaris own spec. on brand new sleds. this from 2005 to 2014. it was better on early 2000 sleds except the 800's. all of these had bad crank run out.

I have a 2015 pro-x 800. this was hands down the best out of the box for crank run out. .0005 one end the other as close .000 as you can get. and perfect piston to cylinder clearance. finally. maybe they are finally sick of warranty issue's?

Last edited:

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I have heard all the oil issues on these sleds. I personally add 2 ozs of oil to for every gal of gas to the fuel tank. Also run redline. Was told both these from a friend at SLP. Doing the top end this summer so we shall see.

Premium Features